Surprised to see Bobby Williams...

Y Jacket

Flats Noob
I don't know enough about Williams to comment on expectations. Seemed a bit strong to fire him mid season but I can understand it with the off field shenanigans.

The interesting question to me is does anyone think that O'Leary may end up here? On the surface, it would be a great spot for someone to come in and perform shock therapy to right the ship - and OLeary would do that well.

On the other side, I believe MSU may feel the need to replace Williams with another minority. THe other cons are could OLeary's personality satisfy the alumni and has he served enough of a "time out" to be seen as rehabilitated.

Net net - I don't think the stars are in alignment for Oleary on this one even though the situation is crying for someone with his skills to come in and get the most out of some serious talent they have ther.

Originally posted by Y Jacket:

On the other side, I believe MSU may feel the need to replace Williams with another minority.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I hope you're wrong on that. The last thing college football needs is unspoken quotas and such for head coaches. Don't get me wrong. I think there are quality black coaches that should be considered. I just hope MSU doesn't hire a black coach to appease certain groups.

Your points about GOL are good points. IMO, he'd probably straighten that program out, at least from a discipline standpoint.

The AJC blurb mentioned that Williams is an example of the dangers of hiring the asst. coach the players wanted for the top job.

I admit, I thought McWhorter was deserving of the job cuz the players were so adamant about it, but there is definitely the danger that the guy who's your buddy as an assistant is not going to be taken as seriously as the head guy.

I'm sure there are examples of "players' coaches" as assistants becoming successful head coaches, but the Williams situation is an eye-opener for everyone who wanted McWhorter to get the job.

...struggle so much at MSU. I really thought he was going to do well at MSU after he began is coaching career with a 37-34 win over Florida in the Citrus Bowl. Go figure.

Agree on the position of not hiring a person on his color, but on his abilities.

Ty Willingham was hired on his abilities and definitely not his color at Notre Dame. Can you imagine a Catholic Irish Willingham. They hired him based solely on his abilities and past record, and it is paying off for them.

I have never liked Notre Dame, but I have watched Willingham on the sidelines when he is coaching. It is obvious he has poise and is in control of the team. I am impressed with the man.

I have seen it posted on the boards that Braine would consider a black coach for Tech's basketball program. However, I don't think for one minute Hewitt was hired because he was black.

Braine made the statement, "I knew when I interviewed him, he was the coach for Tech". Hewitt was hired because he was well qualified and had the ability to perform the job.

I say kudos to Notre Dame and Tech for hiring two excellent black coaches, but, I would never expect a school to choose a black coach just to be politically right. I think every person wants to be appreciated for who he is and not whether he is black, white, red, olive, etc.

Also, it has been proven many times, the players do not know how to choose the coaches. In fact, it is really a rather foolish matter for a group of 18-22 year old kids to select the coach over the wisdom of a committee of wise adults armed with the statistics of all the coaching candidates.

wink.gif

Didn't surprise me. They said from the beginning he was a "player's coach". Usually, when I hear that phrase, I sit back and wait for the losses to pile up.

Back