Tailgating behind the Physics Building...

cropdusterengineer

Varsity Lurker
Is anyone here planning on tailgating behind the Physics building this season?

After the new reserved parking policy was made (with its excessively high cost, excessively boring and late arriving tailgating crowd, and 2 pass limit) our crowd decided to find somewhere else to cook meat and drink cold adult beverages.

I am assuming that lot will be open to the pubic for a fee, and first come-first served (meaning fan will get there early and party all day). Does anyone have any other info?

Just over a week till TML.......The last week is always the most difficult.

Go Jackets!

cropduster,

My group has historically gone to the lot behind Physics. Mostly family and pretty tame for the most part. Definitely enough
drinking.gif
to demand respect.

I do not recall having any problems last year due to any displacement from the reserved parking. First come, first served. I can only imagine this year will be the same. You get SOME visitor tailgaiting, but it's Tech fans for the most part.

We personally have not gotten out an socialized too much, but I probably should do more. Hopefully we'll see you there.

Augusta, where do you tg in the physics lot? I have been there for years myself, but we have kept to our group for the most part. I was thinking of taking the fun elsewhere this fall due to the "Yellow Jacket" alley walk thru being so inconvenient from the Physics lot. Too much walking back & forth. Any other ideas as to where to TG closer to BDS, but without one of these high falutin' passes?

If not, maybe we will see you there.
drinking.gif

TJ

The A-T people are just convinced that the "season parking passes" are a great idea, but I think they're a little off base with the idea.

For the elderly fans who don't tailgate and want to show up 10 min before kickoff and have an easy walk to the stands, reserved passes is a great idea. But the people in that group make up a tiny percentage of the total fans and only need about 100 parking spaces.

Most of the fans are like me and everybody on this board. We want to show up early, meet up with 30 of our closest friends, park together, tailgate, have a blast, toss around a football, play music, cook and eat meat, drink, meet new people, etc, etc, etc. The new reserved parking plan doesn't lend itself well to us.

I'll bet anybody here that the "reserved parking lots" will be half full 30 min before game time and still only 75% full after kickoff, while all the hardcores pile into the only 2 "public lots" on campus or tailgate alone miles from campus because there are no spaces to park in.

Great idea, but they've taken over TOO MUCH OF OUR SPACE.

The only positive I can see is that the Physics lot may become THE PLACE TO TAILGATE this season. I can't wait!

Go Jackets! See you in 2 1/2 weeks.

Hey Augustajacket, are you going to Provo or watching the game somewhere in Augusta?
drinking.gif

Good point on the BYU game - if there is a gathering place in Augusta, put it here. I'm just a hop and a jump away.

GO JACKETS!!

The physics building??? I had classes in the Physics building. Where is that exactly???

Crop,

I'll just say that I'm not "everyone" in the context you stated above.

A lot of GT fans are not "everyone" as you've stated above.

BTW, I'm not old or elderly.

There are a lot of places to tailgate. Sounds like you've found a great place. Glad you have.

Go Jackets!!!

I've always believed that the tailgating and generally soaking up the "Saturday in the fall" atmosphere is a big part of the gameday experience. If I just wanted to watch the game, I wouldn't fly in from 1000 miles away every Saturday, I'd just turn on the TV.

Theres nothing like the smell of Beam and Coke and ribs in the smoker on a Saturday morning, and football season is ONLY 1 WEEK AWAY!!!!

Go Jackets!

Tallahassee Jacket - We went to YJA last year a couple of times from the Physics building. Our only mistake was assuming we could go back to the lot for a while. If you tailgate in Physics and want to go to YJA, you may as well get there VERY early, go to YJA and stay down near the stadium. Or, plan to go eat at the V.

ThomsonJacket, Aiken Jacket: I am not going to Provo. I am currently planning on watching the game at my house in Martinez. I am not sure there will be a designated place to watch the game out anywhere since we have a lack of good sports bars (READ: none) and this is basically UGetA, SC and Clem's Son kuntry. You guys have any ideas?

Send me an e-mail and we might be able to work something out.

BTW, I'm not old or elderly.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No, but you and I are getting there!
smile.gif

At least it's you that has a headstart over me (but not by too many years) in getting there!

FWIW, we were able to find enough friends with the capability of obtaining 'EXTRA PASSES' for us to get the 5 passes needed for our large group to get back to the AMC spot. Looking forward to Auburn.

Heres what very easily COULD happen:

By the time the 2nd home game rolls around, the GTAA realizes the parking lots are going unfilled, and they decide to just open the lots to the public, thus negating any advantage of buying passes.

Also on the subject of football parking.....aren't they planning tearing down Peter's Parking Deck? Will that happen soon? I always thought thats where the highest rollers parked for game day. Where will those people park?

If the parking office keeps up the practice of replacing parking lots with buildings, we'll all drive to campus on game day and STILL HAVE TO TAKE MARTA TO THE STADIUM!!!

This time next week, I am planning on being able to brag at work about our very young team who beat the odds gave 'em hell in Provo and won big in front of a national audience.

Go Jackets!

augustajacket, is the Red Lion bar down near University Hospital still open? I had a few beers there when my grandmother was on her last days and remember it as a fun place!

drinking.gif

I hope you folks will find you way over to Yellow Jacket Alley two and one half hours before the game to join us in greeting the team. After all, our primary purpose is to support GT on game day, and this is a great way to get them(and us) really pumped.

Back