Tailgating

GTFish

Varsity Lurker
Just wondering a few things. Where do y'all tailgate at during GT home games? Does it involve a RV? Grill? The Varsity? Beer? TV's with rivals games on? A little pigskin toss with the kids? 5 hour long GT football conversations? Are all welcome? How early do you arrive? Do you streak after a big win? Do you head strait home? Just wondering. I am counting down the days when I am able to buy an RV and start tailgating myself. Im gonna have a grill on back and 2 TV's in the side. Ill host anyone that wants to come out. I cant wait.

I usually do all of the above over the course of the season. Although, I have to admit if I want TVs and the fancy trimmings I have to enjoy the charity of others. I got married last year, so I kind of have to pick and choose on the full tailgate experiences. For example, if we are playing Duke, I will probably just park off spring st and tailgate with some fast food an hour or two before the game. If we are playing a top team, I get the wife to do the full tailgate with me. I'd much prefer to be there all day for all of them, but she isn't up to that yet. We are expecting a baby this November so I'd guess it will become even more difficult to do the full day thing.

I've currently got a pass in the student center lots. I've got a nice 10' x 10' tent, small grill, and GT folding table. We plan on having my wife's family up for the Auburn game and we plan on doing it right for that one.

My group's tailgate has grown and gotten more "advanced" every year. We have anywhere from 15 - 25 people attending. We have had a secret little area the past 3 years, that currently is fenced in due to construction. I am praying that those fences come down before Auburn.

Assuming we have the same spot...

I get there as early as the night before if the opponent warrants it, but usually no later than 8 or 9am. I will probably camp out for Auburn and UGAG this year. We pull our trucks up off of the street and block off a tidy patch of grass. We erect our pop-up tents, break out the coolers of ice cold beer, and set up the whiskey bottles. Then we pretty much wait for the masses to start arriving, talking GT football, and throwing the football until our arms fall of.

Our lunch/dinner menu varies for every game. At least once a season I bring the smoker down, and smoke pork shoulders for BBQ. We do simple hotdogs and hamburgers, make your own deli sandwhiches, and even have made hot off the grill fajitas. It just depends on what mood the gang is in, and how much cooking stuff I feel like hauling down to campus that week.

The ladies usually do a little bit of decorating, especially for homecoming. Our parents show up for some games, and we have some babies from time to time. It is truly a "family" event for me and my friends, and is the only thing that makes losing any game bearable.

As always, anyone is welcome at our tailgate. Wait, there are two people that aren't welcome... but that is a different story! Seriously, we always say.. the more the merrier!

I got DirectTV this year, and have aquired an extra dish. If I can find an economical power supply, I will probably bring that whole setup so we can watch lots of football too this year.

BEEserk... that sounds big time!!.. The camping down at the stadium is a definite punctuation mark... Any camper/mobile home in your future or is that too easy?

Originally posted by BeeBad:
BEEserk... that sounds big time!!.. The camping down at the stadium is a definite punctuation mark... Any camper/mobile home in your future or is that too easy?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">beebad .. will you be tailgating any at Tech this year?

NO? what a shame. we'll miss you .. it won't be fun without you .. ah well, we'll just have to do without your presence. aww shucks. &lt;sniff&gt;

Originally posted by ylojk8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BeeBad:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">beebad .. will you be tailgating any at Tech this year?

NO? what a shame. we'll miss you .. it won't be fun without you .. ah well, we'll just have to do without your presence. aww shucks. &lt;sniff&gt;
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Of course I will be tailgating this year, ylo... When BeeBad come in, party begin...

I teamed up with GoldenTornado and VuDiddy to
start a new tailgate last season. We set up
next to the Instructional Center. Last season
we had three canopies, a satellite dish w/ dual
27" TVs, a Game Cube, grill, and 15-20 people.
We usually set up around 9am or so.

We're adding a 4th canopy and a flag pole this
season. I think we also have a secondary (electric)
grill to go along with the charcoal one.

ContactBuzz joined us mid-season last year and I
hope to see a few more Hivers and Stingtalkers
this coming season. (GTT, YLO, Master B, etc...)

Below is a pic from the FSU game. My sis-in-law
was the head of the FSU drill team and about 8 or
so of them came over to eat with us before the
game. We all had a good laugh when their flags
went "missing".
rolleyes.gif

tailgate3.jpg

VuDiddy, pictured below, did a rather amusing keg
stand a few hours after this pic was taken...

tappingthekeg.jpg

I bring my "wreck" ('31 Model A complete with pennants and a national award winner from the Henry Ford Foundation) to most games (cept the Georgia one for obvious "key" reasons. It's amazing how much Tech stuff I can stuff into the rumble seat. Don't know where my pass will put me this year, but I invite all Tech fans to seek me out and have a cold one with me anytime! If anyone out there hasn't seen this wonderful car in all its' Tech glory, hit me an email and I will send you pix. And I can make it available to true Tech alums/fans as well! Go JACKETS!

Bleedgold,

I think I met you on Saturday. I was the guy in the red truck that yelled "THWGA" while you were taking pictures with your Wreck. That is one beautiful automobile. Looks Great! Seems like there are lot of GT fans up in this area. We need to get some kind of club together.

If that wasn't you, well nevermind
smile.gif

Hey AXE...well yes, that is my car...it just came back from its' annual overhaul and took it for a ride with my best friend (A UGA fan no less, but think he is starting to SEE THE LIGHT. There are quite a few of us here in Rivermoore Park with ties to Tech...welcome to the neighborhood!

Our group sets up in the corner of the Library lot,...near the walk-way to BDS@HGF. Always bring standard issue items.....grill, beer, beer,......beer. Have been known to bring the smoker down a time or two. Those Autumn Saturday's are special,...let's hope there some good times down the road for us.

GATA JACKETS!!!

Where do y'all tailgate at during GT home games?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">AMC lot. Grassy area at James K. Luck Building

Does it involve a RV?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">3, sometimes 4 of them

Grill? The Varsity? Beer? TV's with rivals games on?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes, sometimes, definitely, certainly

A little pigskin toss with the kids? 5 hour long GT football conversations? Are all welcome?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not too much pigsking tossing with kids but you can usually find 2 or 3 drunk men 35 yrs and older throwing at about 2am! Plenty of conversations and all are welcome.

How early do you arrive? Do you streak after a big win?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">2 RV's usually get there on Friday night. There are those of us who live close by that will drop in and hang out til midnight, Friday, and then return home. There's no streaking after a big win but we certainly have seen some interesting things occur in our area! Join the Buffalo Club when you get here and you'll never go thirsty!

Seriously, it's a nice melting pot that grew strong in O'Keefe and had to disband when the new parking plan was put in place last year. There are groups within the big group but pretty much everybody knows everybody. You pretty much got representation in every age group: 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, and even a few 70+ vets walking around. There are fancy wine drinkers, gold vest-wearing types, beer guzzling BB-Q eating die-hards, families of former players, families of current players. Never know who might show up.

The variety within this area is great.

And afterwards, if there's a match that night, feel free to join us as we become Volleyball's most rowdy supporters. Always have a good time with Bond's Bees going to and coming from their match.

shymanskyhead.jpg
eveland03.jpg
preiss03.jpg

2 Big, Let me know which one is yours. I would like to come hang out sometime after the game and catch the VB game with you. We will be competing with you for the wildest fans in OKeefe though.

Tailgating .... ah,
A wonderful part of the whole college football experience!

Have a parking pass right on Techwood across from BDS - Gate 7. Ususally there 4 hours before game, set up with food, drink, chairs, comforts of home stuff. Our party this year will vary in size from minimum 5 up to 8-10.

Please stop by - if you're on the East side especially - we are right there across the street. Will attend Yellow Jacket Alley and proceed from there. New flags for the car this season - windsocks. Some new magnets as well - bookstore made a killing off of our family about 5 weeks ago!

Food varies from game to game but plan on doing some different recipes/dishes this year! Will include dessert(s). Found some new recipes and will make the tailgaters my guinea pigs - ususally works out well! Will tailgate after the game until traffic clears and head home. Great way to spend a FALL DAY!

Prefer later starting games - 3:30pm and later - seems to be more energy in the crowd and cooler! Hope to meet some of you in person this season!

I might drop in sometime MsTech just to chat for a little bit. I cant wait till the fall. This thread gots me going.

Originally posted by GTFish:
I might drop in sometime MsTech just to chat for a little bit. I cant wait till the fall. This thread gots me going.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Look forward to our chat and join us in a toast to THE JACKETS!

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Same here MsTa, should I bring the boxing gloves so we can spar?

grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No boxing gloves needed! Will welcome you because 56 years of supporting GT is all I need! Make sure you let me know what games and we can sit down, relax, dine on some good food, toast the Jackets and enjoy preparing to root for our favorite team!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Same here MsTa, should I bring the boxing gloves so we can spar?

grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No boxing gloves needed! Will welcome you because 56 years of supporting GT is all I need! Make sure you let me know what games and we can sit down, relax, dine on some good food, toast the Jackets and enjoy preparing to root for our favorite team!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">MsTA.. I will bring the games... my new gailey dartboard & punching bag...
(may be especially popular after the game)...
smile.gif

Back