Talent Level

Lack of depth, especially on the DL. We fade in the second half if our O isn't rolling. And our O doean't roll in the second half against good teams because Vad doesn't have enough experience to adjust to the other teqms adjustmemts.

It depends on how you measure talent.
This game illustrated how one or two players can change a game and season. If Murrey was healthy then we are never in this contest. Gurley was able to take the game over in the 4th and in OT.
People saying we cant recruit in the TO are crazy...Gailey didnt do crap with his Dan Reeves offense. He had the best receiver since Jerry Rice and didnt utilize him enough.
The ONE constant handicap for the past 40+ years has been the Hill...Dodd even said as much in his book.
I will always believe we are one or two players away. Its just a matter of finding those players...but it aint easy with our restrictions.

Is it more our recruiting or the Hill?

People can blame "the Hill" all they want, but as I've stated many times, a flood of letters from fans and alumni to the president can get just about anything done.

A thousand small donors are as effective at implementing change as one large donor if their voice is united. All it would take is one person (who is not an employee of the Institute) willing to organize those thousand people.

Does Murray play defense? No. Thus we would have still put together explosive plays in the 1st half. Mason threw for 300 yards. Why do we think Murray would have been better?

We aren't 1 or 2 players away, we're 1 or 2 units. We have no depth. We were flat worn out in the 2nd half.

People saying we cant recruit in the TO are crazy...Gailey didnt do crap with his Dan Reeves offense. He had the best receiver since Jerry Rice and didnt utilize him enough.

Your argument as to why the triple option doesn't hurt our recruiting is that Gailey recruited the best receiver since Jerry Rice despite having a boring, subpar pro-style offense?

CJ didnt come here for Gailey's or Pat Nix's offense. He came to Tech because his parents wanted him to go to Tech....end of story. They knew his was going to play in the NFL from the time his was a senior in high school...they knew that he would be better served from attending Tech versus going to a factory like ugag or allbarn

I said it last year and will say it again for any amateurs out there: The difference between the average ACC team and the average SEC team is the quality and depth on both lines of scrimmage.
See: Clemson's the Clemsoning Part 5

I didn't see the game but after seeing the stats and hearing the recap.I knew the BIG key was AGAIN our DEF line problem--which has been our biggest problem for 5 yrs.
Green and Mccoy were our "great " DT recruits and they were non-existent Sat.
btw-Next yr the DL will again be the biggest problem AGAIN.

Is the lowest I've seen since the 1980-83 period. And I've been watching for 40+ years.

Is it more our recruiting or the Hill? Has the Hill's admit policies changed that much since Gailey's 2007 recruiting class that was so good?

The 07 class was granted additional exceptions that Chan wasn't normally granted.

The Hill used the 08 hire as an opportunity to tighten recruiting restrictions even more.

The new NCAA eligibility rules regarding degree progress hurt GT a lot more than the factories like UGA because now UGA just hands out progress towards cheap degrees, whereas we have to be extra careful to only offer kids who aren't going to flunk out of a real curriculum. So the NCAA's rule had the opposite effect it was intended to produce.

Back