Talked to an ACC fb Ref today

texstinger

Dodd-Like
As this gentleman had come to our store on business purposes I, through employment verification means, was able to verify he is indeed an ACC football referee. He is one of the fellows in the white hat, the head cheese as it were. He had no idea of my interest in college athletics, or my loyalties, until after we finished our business. It was at this point we started to share our thoughts on college football.
1. He told me he is only an ACC official. He will work conference games, and his crew will work out of conference ACC road games, i.e. GT at BYU as an example only. When other conferences visit us the have their conference guys work the game. He also said it is a part time job and they technically are not employed by the conference but are more like independent contractors.
2. Told him I was very much pro expansion and without commiting he seemed, very much, to agree. He said he has had NO, NOT ONE, DISCUSSIONS with any conference official about the subject. He did say he believes there is a lot going on behind scenes. He seemed to indicate that what most of us hear, internet wise, about Duke, UNC and maybe UVA and holdups has been confirmed by people he thinks know what they are talking about AND he thinks, behind the scenes, we might be headed for a super conference NOW. By that he implied adding others besides the 3 talked about. He even used the word "merger."
3. He made me feel good by saying he thinks the tv rating stuff is not what the focus of the talks should be about, rather the competition aspect. I have felt this way since the beginning. He said he has done GT/ugag, FSU/UF, CU/USC, NCSU/UNC, FSU/UM and nothing, NOTHING, he again emphasized compared with the intensity of the UVA/VT battle. Not from the fans or the players has he seen such intensity as that game has anywhere else.
4. It all, as he said, is just his opinion but he believes this expansion thing will not die down and not just within the ACC. He truly seemed to think that NOW is the time to add the 3 plus at least 2, or even 4, others

Thought I would share.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. WOW. The UVA-VT game is the most intense??! Sounds like our little rivalry game with the puppies needs a booster shot! I know just the team to give it the proper stinging shot in the arm!!

grin.gif

Thanks for sharing - there is nothing negative about this expansion, it really helps this conference on all fronts.

Back