Tech Coaching Staff "Bill O'Brien"

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
Tech Coaching Staff "Bill O\'Brien"

Bill O'Brien

Position:Assist. Head Coach/Offensive Coord./QBs
Experience:8th Year
Alma Mater:Brown, 1992

Promoted to assistant head coach in 2002, Bill O’Brien is in his second season as Georgia Tech’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach and his eighth year on the Rambling Wreck staff.

Under O’Brien, the Yellow Jackets led the Atlantic Coast Conference in passing and ranked third in scoring in 2001. Quarterback, George Godsey, set school records for passing yards (3,085 yards) and completions (249), including the best single-game performance in school history with 39 completions and 486 yards against Virginia.

Running back Joe Burns became Tech’s first 1,000-yard rusher since 1995.

Three Tech offensive players earned first-team all-conference honors in 2001, Joe Burns, receiver Kelly Campbell, and tackle Nat Dorsey.

A member of the Georgia Tech offensive staff since 1995, O’Brien coached Tech’s running backs from 1998-2000. He was elevated to the position of offensive coordinator following the 2000 regular season.

O’Brien served as Tech’s recruiting coordinator for two years (1999-2000), helping the Yellow Jackets attract highly-regarded recruits.

In each of O’Brien’s three seasons as running backs coach, the Yellow Jackets were ranked in the top three in the ACC in rushing, averaging 191.2 yards per game.

O’Brien worked as a graduate assistant coach during his first three seasons (95-97) at Tech, working with the offense.

O’Brien coached two years at Brown, tutoring the Bears’ tight ends in 1993 and the linebackers in 1994.

A native of Andover, Mass., O’Brien was a three-year letterman at Brown, where he played linebacker and defensive line.

He graduated from Brown in 1992 with a Bachelor of arts degree with a double concentration in political science and organizational behavior management.

O’Brien, 32, is married to the former Colleen Corron.

My assessment:

O'Brien's bio is good, but he was under some good leadership from Friegden until last year. The offense was good at times and rather predictable at times last year. It is unclear why.

It is possible, the offensive mistakes were attributable to O'Leary, but we will never know. O'Brien's offense was less predictable and more effective in the bowl game.

Also, Godsey was pretty good at reading defenses, so it is hard to gauge his effect on the good or bad plays.

O'Brien's playing days were at defense, but that does not mean he has not learned the offense well. It will be interesting to see how O'Brien's offense will perform without Godsey, Burns, and O'Leary.

I believe Gailey will let him have full freedom and observe the production. If the offensive production is high, Gailey will probably keep his hands out of the kitchen. If it tends to drag, look for Gailey to intervene.

In short, this is O'Brien's year to show his stuff.

Would some one please post the bio for the offensive line coach. I have all of the other bios.

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Re: Tech Coaching Staff "Bill O\'Brien"

ahso's quote,
"I believe Gailey will let him have full freedom and observe the production. If the offensive production is high, Gailey will probably keep his hands out of the kitchen. If it tends to drag, look for Gailey to intervene."

Too bad the Miami Dolphins didn't have someone to intervene when 'Buck' Gailey's offense dragged the Dolphins down and out of the playoffs.
Old 'Buck' ought to get down on his knees each night and thank the Lord that he has an OC the caliber of O'brien to save his arse for awhile.

bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif

Help me out here, beeware.

O'Brien is going to save Gailey's arse, but O'Leary was good enough not to need him?? Is that the point you are trying to make? Or perhaps Coach Mac was good enough not to need Bill O?

I get so confused (obviously since I haven't coached a Div I program) reading all of the anti-Chan speak that it is hard to keep up with who the REAL talent on the coaching staff is.

In response to ahso, I happen to like Bill O'Brien, and would like to see how he will work out under the tutelage of a coach who has been successful at the next level (as a HC - something neither Big Bee or Coach Mac could claim).

Any help you can provide would be appreciated, beeware.

GO JACKETS!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

This should be a big year for O'Brien. He gets to not only flex his creative muscles in coaching a potentially high powered offense, but he also gets the chance to coach two up and coming QB's who both have a great deal of talent and potential. This is the first time he's coached new QB's as well as coaching the offense. This should be a great growth year for BOB to come into his own. If he does really well, we may well lose him. I suppose that's the price we may pay. I hope I'm wrong because I want him to stay here for several more years. I KNOW he can learn alot from Chan Gailey.

GOOOOO BILLY O!!!
smile.gif

Back