Tech Coaching Staff "Glenn Spencer

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
Glenn Spencer

Position:Defensive Line
Experience:2nd Year
Alma Mater:Georgia Tech, 1987

In his second season as an assistant coach at his alma mater, Glenn Spencer moves to defense and will coach Georgia Tech’s defensive line, after one year as the Rambling Wreck’s running backs coach.

Last fall, Spencer coached all-Atlantic Coast Conference running back Joe Burns, who became just the fifth 1,000-yard rusher in Georgia Tech history.

Spencer returned to Tech in 2001 after 11 years at West Georgia, including a very successful three-year stint as head coach. He compiled a 28-7 record from 1998-2000, including two Gulf South Conference titles and two appearances in the NCAA Division II playoffs. With an .800 winning percentage, he left as the winningest coach in Gulf South Conference history.

In 1998, Spencer was named the NCAA Division II Regional Coach of the Year by the American Football Coaches Association. He coached the Braves to a 10-2 record, the conference championship and a playoff berth in his first season as head coach.

West Georgia posted a 10-2 record in 2000, following an 8-3 mark in 1999.

Spencer began his coaching career in 1990, as an assistant coach at West Georgia. Spencer coached the Braves’ defensive line and linebackers for seven seasons and was promoted to defensive coordinator in 1997.

He helped the Braves to a share of the school’s first Gulf South Conference title in 97, as his defense allowed fewer points than any team in West Georgia history.

Spencer, 37, lettered four years as a defensive tackle for the Rambling Wreck, including Tech’s 1985 All-American Bowl season, when he was a member of the “Black Watch” defense.

A native of Douglasville, Ga., Spencer was a prep standout at Lithia Springs High School. He earned his bachelor’s degree in Management from Georgia Tech in 1987.

Spencer and his wife, the former Angela Folds of Carrollton, Ga., have two sons, Luke, 6, and Abraham, 3.

My thoughts and assessment:

When Chan was signed as Head Coach, it is my belief he was asked to keep Roof and O'Brien if possible. It is well known, he kept both, but reassigned Roof's responsibilities.

I still think O'Brien was kept out of respect for receiving the Head Coaching position. I still think Nix is heir-apparent to the OC job.

Glenn Spencer is another story. He was retained by Chan after an interview. I can only guess, Chan was impressed with Spencer. I am impressed with Spencer's bio.

It would not surprise me to see Spencer step into the defensive coordinator's job if Tenuta gets his cherished job in the NFL. I really believe Spencer may be the cream of the crop of the three coaches originally retained by Gailey. I believe he is on the rise.

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Bringing this back to the top because I have made several references to Spencer as a replacement for Tenuta should Tenuta get a job in the pros.

wink.gif

Back