Tech in the SEC

No doubt the defense could be a problem, especially the secondary and we could be in for some WAC-esque scores, but our offense should finally put up some numbers this season. By the time you guys get us, the defense should be better and don't forget that this is the first time in 5 years we are returning a defensive coordinator.

On the flip side, the questions for you are on offense and whether your quarterback and running back can step in and produce. You have some nice receivers and at least one good lineman, but as Oklahoma showed last year, it doesn't matter if you don't have a decent quarterback.

True but I think our QB's are as talented as yours. If Suggs had been given the opportunity to finish his first season at UT and had the support of the coaching staff I think he would of been just fine. His numbers were not that bad and in fact UT should of beaten UF that year if not for the dropped Jabar Gaffney pass that was ruled a TD by the homer ref.

Anyway by the time we play you guys don't you think our offense will be in much the same situation as your defense? Yep.

Our defense is better. Your offense is better. Should be a good game.

From the Princeton Review website:

Average SAT UGAg 1201
Average SAT Ga Tech 1329

The gap is growing again!!! The bigger issue is while UGAg has increased their ENTRY standards, once you get in its still pretty much a party school. Go to Princeton Review and see who rates highly on "students work their ass off" and "students party all the time" and see where each of us rank.

However, I'm not trying to be mean spirited to Dore, he is articulate and patient in hostile territory. I just tell it like it is!

Originally posted by 1865Jacket:
Dore-Dawg,

You are definately right about the delusions that may tech fans (myself included) had about having a shot at a BCS bowl game last year. But admit it, UGA fans have this delusion almost every year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't think it was a delusion to think that GT had a shot at a BCS game last year.

The way I see it, GT had the talent and the experience, and a 10-win season was a reasonable expectation -- and we underachieved.

We lost two overtime games and we lost a game on a fluke statue of liberty play. Make those W's, and we actually win the ACC and go to a BCS bowl -- even if we DID lose the last two. We would have had it locked up with two games to go.

Not playing FSU on 9/15 was very deflating for this Tech team. It probably cost us more than anyone. I would be very interested to see what would happen if we could have played them then.

Regardless, I think all three of those losses were can be pinned to a large degree on bad coaching, and they were coaching gaffes we had not seen before.

Against Clemson, we kept going for 2-pt conversions we didn't need, and when Smith got hurt we put in a blue-collar third stringer at MLB who had no chance to succeed against Woodrow Dantzler. Also, on the final Clemson TD in regulation, we had a DB out of position. It was a missed assignment. We didn't get burned; our defensive backfield was just plain lost.

Against Maryland, there was NO excuse not to just down the ball and run the clock. If we weren't going to down it though, there was NO excuse for not making it very clear to Burns prior to the play that he couldn't go out of bounds.

Against Virginia, the defense just fell apart. That has to be considered coaching.

These are the kind of gaffes in close games that we had not seen before from O'Leary. Before 2001, he was a master at winning close games. Why should we assume things would be any different?

On the other hand, Richt has not fared well in close games, and they are not loaded for bear on defense the way we were last year. I think for them expectations of the BCS are a little bit much THIS year. There have been years past when they were reasonable, but the Dawgs underachieved much like we did last year.

VUFan, you are correct. I meant to say the ACC had the highest percentage of bowl-eligible teams, (ACC 78% to SEC 75 %) not the most bowl teams. I should be flogged.
grin.gif

Dore-Dawg...

After the injuries and defections of yesterday it appears to me you guys may be in some serious trouble on your already thin Oline & Dline. Your defense was already suspect at best. I am sure you will have a nice offense if Musa stays healthy but I doubt that will happen.

Look for Tech to have a very good year... and deal you you're 6th loss of the season.

Dore-Dawg,

You are definately right about the delusions that may tech fans (myself included) had about having a shot at a BCS bowl game last year. But admit it, UGA fans have this delusion almost every year. It seems not too long ago that all this talk about richt bringing uga to an SEC title was happening about Donnan. UGA loved Donnan the first few years and they'll love Richt for a few. But the bottom line is, if Richt keeps doing what he did last year (putting up the same record as Donnan the year before), UGA fans will become disillusioned with him as well and will be calling for his head.

How are we supposed to take your comment about Richt's second year and Stoops? Are georgia fans, once again, talking of gridiron glories well before any tests have been passed? I don't think Richt is in quite the same position Stoops was in. You have a brand new secondary and some questions on both lines. I could be dead wrong about all this, but I'll start believe it AFTER the dawgs get through the first few tests of the season (namely South Carolina, Tennessee, and Alabama).

GO JACKETS!!!

Beesnut, as always, it will be decided on the field, but I like our chances, especially against GT. By then, Foster will be back anyway. His injury is just going to get our freshman stud, Max Jean-Gilles, on the field sooner. I'm more worried about Musa's health than our O-line, which will be rock solid.

While we're on the subject of thin O-lines, the losses of Bennett and Phillips isn't going to help your cause.

True, yesterday didn't help my team, but 6 losses? Come on, who's delusional now? Losing a couple freshman isn't going to ruin our season.

Dore-dawg is correct about UGA's overall academic improvement, though athletes sure get an easier ride than at Tech. Throw in Emory with GT and UGA and there really is no need to leave the state to get a top-notch education in any field.

Back