Tech-Less Draft

Buzzfalcon

Zod-Like
Tech blanks the draft board. Meanwhile UGAg posts seven. Even GSU sent a man in sixth. How much do you guys feel this impacts recruiting?

Bold Prediction (Pun & All): If Tony Hollings returns to form, he'll be a mid to late first rounder in next year's draft.

Gathers would have been high draft pick but for illness.

when you recruit Students you do not end up w/ many NFL players.

I am sure the the quantity of players entering the draft, the big season, the big bowl win, and the slots left vacant by the draftees will have a positive effect on recruiting for UGA for the coming year.

However, it is not absolute, because there are generally many factors deciding a recruit's future.

Regardless of UGA's recruiting, I doubt UGA's success will have much effect on Tech's recruiting. The items that will affect Tech's recruiting will be our performance this coming season, winning a bowl game, and the chance to play early.

Some players want to play in their freshman year, but many don't mind waiting till the second year to play, as long as they think they will have a good shot to play.

Of course, the personality of a school's coaches and recruiters is always an asset or liability.

smile.gif

None. How many were drafted from Tech last year? None.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Chris Young and Nick Rogers were drafted last year. How soon we forget.

It doesn't make any difference. TECH's never come close to providing NFL draft picks the way SEC champs and other top teams do. TECH's always recruited differently from the football factories anyway.

Some have signed FA contracts though -

"four Yellow Jackets signed free agent deals Sunday: linebacker Recardo Wimbush with the Falcons, wide receiver Kerry Watkins with the Patriots, and cornerback Marvious Hester and tight end Will Heller with the Super Bowl champion Buccaneers." - AJC

Originally posted by Buzzfalcon:
Tech blanks the draft board. Meanwhile UGAg posts seven. Even GSU sent a man in sixth. How much do you guys feel this impacts recruiting?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">All it shows you is we weren't as talent rich as most fans thought. What this means is you guys have to give Chan a break and let him get his players in here; then we can judge him more. Also shows you O'Leary's cupboard didn't have as many dishes as he led us to believe.

I agree with 33
shocked.gif

This is just more confirmation that we didn't have the talent many thought we did and that a large part of our success in the past 5 years was the Fridge.

Hey folks, Having no draftees doesn't bother me but check K Watkins class and see how many didn't play AT ALL and/or transfered for some reason.Do the names Hughley,Ashley,Crenshaw,Vaitekunas,Henderson,
Echols ring a bell? Not to mention Burns who didn't finish or Clinkscales who didn't play until a Sr.Talk about non-productivity.
No wonder we got beat by Wake and FResno ST and EMBARRASSED by UGa.

"when you recruit students, you don't end up with many NFL types"....puhleeze! I get so tired of that worn out argument. All schools have NCAA admissions criteria...and believe it or not, we often recruit the same players that other big schools are after. To state otherwise is a myth. We have our share of classes that are just as easy as some other schools. No, they'll not all be NFL engineers, but we can and do recruit NFL type players. They choose to go to bigger (and better for now) football programs.

Remember, we lost to Fresno State. That one still bugs me...more than the Ugag game.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

OK GEETEE, puhleeze name those classes so that our SA's can get a break. Also puhleeze name a major that is easy at GT. Is it a major in PE, Educational Relationships, Education Management, Sports Education, Sports Management, Forestry, Retreat Center Administration? Industrial Management is certainly no pushover. I graduated with a 2.17 in IM. I found only 4 courses to be somewhat easy at GT: 2 quarters of PE (I can't name 3 in PE because the third was drownproofing), finite math, and Introduction to geology. Everything else kicked a...

I'm trying to think back to one of the BETTER seasons Tech had and in the national spotlight - 1990 National Champs. Now you can correct me on this but the only persons I remember being drafted in the April draft of 1991 was Willie Clay and Ken Swilling.

On that '90 team we had Bobby Rodriguez, Emmitt Merchant (WRs), some great college defensive players but a lot of them were free agents and never made an NFL team but we won a National Championship with them.

Marco Coleman stayed one more year and left after his junior year to enter the 1992 draft and was a high pick.

Unless I'm losing my memory we had only 2 draft picks off that team and won a National Championship. I don't think you need lots of NFL picks to be good in college. Not every high school football player that comes to a Div. 1 school ends up in the NFL.

You can be a competitive/good team in college and win championships without an abundance of NFL draftees ... GT has done that more then anyone which I think is very positive!

Easy may be stretch and perhaps I shouldn't have stated it that way, but we have our fair share of classes and degrees that many of our athletes major in. We recruit big names...or at least try to. The same big names that are on Clemson, FSU, and NCStates list, too. We can blame academics forever, but truth is, we recruit the SAME players. They just choose to not come here for a whatever reasons.

You are making two critical assumptions here...that we are so superior academically to every football school in the south or that everyone else has an underwater basketweaving class that their athletes can take.

Wrong on both accounts. UVA and UF are very good academic institutions...and they would smoke us on the field now.

GeeTee.... I won't go into the academic analysis you offer 'cause it's just flat out false... UVA and UFA both offer non-math liberal arts programs that require little or no aptitude to pass... sorry that's just how most liberal arts programs are anymore... By the By read the other current post about what the UGAg AD and Pres are saying about their admission standards and compare that to what we say on our campus ... and also note we did not offer scholarships to nearly half of the in state boys that UGag did this past season a huge topic of debate around here during December, Jan and Feb... So no we don't 'go after' the same players ... we go after players who we think will not only help the team but also succeed in a very difficult academic environment...
BUT you are way out of the water when you underestimate the talent and the coaching at Fresno State... I did pick TECH to win that game but I clearly stated on this board that Fresno State was not going to be the 'push over ' that you and some of your only the south can play football bravado friends delude yourselves into thinking... In fact I said that they were big, mean, farm boys that ate nails for breakfast and that our team was going to have to play at the very top of their game to not get the snot beaten out of them... Fresno State and their 300+ lbs. of flesh on the 'O' would've beaten our team last season several different ways and remember they were not starting an intact first team when we played them... the weather and the field suited their style perfectly and we had our helmets handed to us after getting pushed around in the mud for 60 minutes...
FWIW we better be ready in late August or exactly the same thing is going to happen when we visit BYU...

We should have not even played a team like that to begin with...then to lose. Don't forget they had all those players out for the game against us,too, for suspensions (7 or 8 players and most were starters).

GNat, agree back when I reported that our cupboard was pretty bare, I stated that due to the prediction that we would have no NFL picks to me that alluded to a cupboard being bare. Some folks here told me that NFL pick were not a measure of a teams ability. I stick by my statement then and now. I still say look at the teams that had top picks and you see teams that were sucessful on the field. We never may be able to compete for 4 to 6 NFL picks a year but we should be able to pickup one or two.

Interesting post on the Hive about attrition in some of our highly rated classes may shed more light on this. IIRC in '99 we signed 26 and 10 left early. Only like 4 on now on the 2 deep. In '00 we signed 23 and 6 left early. That may account for some of the disparity in what we think our talent level is and what others view it as. We may be thinking in terms of how our recruiting classes under GO were ranked when the fact is many of those guys are gone. The pros only look at who is here of course. That also may explain some of our on field issues.

Fwiw, the Macon Telegraph ran an article a couple or three years ago comparing TECH vs UGA in the categories of bowl games won, uncontested NCs won, and the number of alumni playing in the NFL. If memory serves me right GT had roughly twice as many in the NFL as UGA did, although many may have been some years back. I talked w/ Mike Lough and he was going to try and get me a copy of the article but I have yet to hear back from him.

drinking.gif
blue.gif
drinking.gif

Back