Tech picked 8th at the ACC meetings...

The Gnome of Zurich

Varsity Lurker
I guess that away game against Duke and their 20 starters returning, best rushing defense in ACC, and 2 basically 1,000 yard rushers will be big according to the ACC meetings.

8th??? Are you kidding me???

No way. IF that happened...oh my. We'll spiral downward faster than ahsoisee will reply to my posts.

I fear for the direction of our program with Gailey, the academic situation, and now tougher competition coming into our league...not to mention that some of our ACC sisters have raised the bar on their football programs.

Finishing 8th would be terrible. The main thing I want to see though is effort. We didn't see that last year in some games. I want us to show up ready to play each week. IF we do that, I think we'll do better than 8th...not sure what the record will be...but it'll be better than many think.

Well, according to Gailey in the paper today, we will have "significant contributions from up to 15 freshman,"!!! That, along with the experience that has been lost to grades, 8th is the safe pick. But the 9th team is Duke. Duke has 22 starters returning, 2 1,000 yard rushers (basically Douglas is the best back in the league no one has heard of) all lineman return on O, and they lost 4 games by 5 or less last year in the ACC. You dont think they are going to win a few of those games against Tech or Clemson or Wake or UNC? Sure they can, and they had the best defense against the run in the league last year. We play them away. With that said, we lose to UVA, Maryland, NC St., FSU, Auburn, and UGA. Ifs are BYU, Vandy, UNC, WAKE, DUKE, Clemson. 4 of those are AWAY games. With that said, Realistic view is 3-3 in those games (since 4 are away). That's probably what the media was looking at. So am I.

Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
If we finish 8th in the ACC then I'll be calling
for heads to roll too.

Fortunately, I don't think it will happen.

It shouldn't.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'd like to agree with you on this. It really shouldn't happen. But if it did happen, I wouldn't be shocked, given the academic losses and the strength of the conference.

The fact is that the fan base has become more bottom-line oriented since we've gone to 6 straight bowls. We're not as patient as we used to be, and we probably shouldn't be as patient. Our program deserves better than 8th.

Having said all that, I really think that if the effort is there this year, we'll be better than many think.

Cracker Jacket,

I don't think it is wise to put yourself in a box like that. On paper, we've got a bad football team. If you made me pick, I'd put us last. We have no QB, no RB, no viable I-A defensive line, no proven kickers, and virtually no experienced depth anywhere.

Now I'm an optimistic fan, I'm looking for kids to step up at those spots and lead us to a bowl game, but I also realize it might not happen.

I don't know if Chan is right for GT or not, but there aren't many coaches out there that could do much with the current roster in its present form. We could really stink this year and still have a pretty good staff that is doing the right things. I'd hate to see us stink and then blow out a pretty decent coach. Not saying I know Chan is that guy, just saying I wouldn't paint myself in a corner.

Last year was O'Leary's fault. This year will be O'Brien's fault. Be fair and give CG a chance to rebuild the team in his image and then judge him. Besides, what do all those people know?

Originally posted by Axe:
Cracker Jacket,

I don't think it is wise to put yourself in a box like that. On paper, we've got a bad football team. If you made me pick, I'd put us last. We have no QB, no RB, no viable I-A defensive line, no proven kickers, and virtually no experienced depth anywhere.

Now I'm an optimistic fan, I'm looking for kids to step up at those spots and lead us to a bowl game, but I also realize it might not happen.

I don't know if Chan is right for GT or not, but there aren't many coaches out there that could do much with the current roster in its present form. We could really stink this year and still have a pretty good staff that is doing the right things. I'd hate to see us stink and then blow out a pretty decent coach. Not saying I know Chan is that guy, just saying I wouldn't paint myself in a corner.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree Axe. I think we should look to player development, effort, and other intagibles more than wins and losses this year. If it gets ugly and we tank like we did at the end of last year then I have no problem with Chan being asked to leave. If we only win 3 or 4 games and the kids try hard and we have something to look forward to, then I would want Chan to stay.

On the other hand, I've seen plenty enough of Braine to form a decision...but I don't want to hijack this post with a discussion of his performance over the past few years.

I admit that I go back and forth on what to think about all this.

On the one hand, I think "we should expect wins from our program...if we're not winning, then the coaches are at fault and should be dealt with accordingly"

On the other hand, I think "it's only his 2nd year...let's give him another recruiting class and a chance to build some depth and find a QB...he inherited our QB's...he needs more time"

Finally, I think "judge the team based on effort." In the end, that's what I want.

The last time I felt this bad about the direction of our program was 1994. I have mixed feelings about Gailey and I'm not sure if this season will help clarify or not. Let's just hope that the players come out with fire in the proverbial belly this year.

Originally posted by DaveTech:
Last year was O'Leary's fault. This year will be O'Brien's fault. Be fair and give CG a chance to rebuild the team in his image and then judge him. Besides, what do all those people know?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Blaming coaches who were or are not here is ridiculous! The on field product is Chan's department, last year, this year, whatever year he's here! I can see Chan now, "hey, George you know you're coaching stunk the place up in 2002." Would you have said the same thing if GT looked decent and given all the credit O'Leary and O'Brien - heck no! NO ONE SHOULD OR WOULD DO EITHER!

That's stretching this issue big time! How can anyone in their right mind use that as an excuse for a guy getting paid this amount of money to coach football at GT?????????????? So now if GT looks bad this year we blame it on Billy O'Brien who's gone??????? That is way out there, blame when they're here, and blame them when their gone but don't think twice about defending the guy getting paid for doing the job who IS HERE!!!
mad.gif

All I want to know is.. after paying out 900K a year... are we at least gonna get kissed when it is over?

Originally posted by BeeBad:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by The Gnome of Zurich:
Yep, I agree GeeTee. But we do have to give him this year to be fair. My want is for us to get a solid AD first then He/She could deal with the other stuff with fresh ideas and a clean slate in which to make decisions. THat makes sense to me. I hope this year is similar to 1989 as that was the last time we were picked this low. Unfortunately our Freshman were mostly redshirts, our coaches were excellent and it was the 3rd year of a rebuilding. We are in the 2nd year now of "Unwinding" what O'Leary had built. Not anywhere similar to 89.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good post Ghome! Who would have thought we'd drop this far down - not me! And in '89 at least we were rebuilding and the rest of the conference was status quo. The rest of the conference this time is getting better and better and we go backwards, how tough is that!?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">MsTA, you must not have heard the news.. Chan is Upbeat !!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BB: He was upbeat last season - now what???
frown.gif

Originally posted by DaveTech:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Dave, we didnt need a rebuilding program if we knew what we where doing at the Div I College Level. Why didnt we let Bill Lewis finish what he started? Again I agree 1 year isnt fair, but 2 1/2 was too long last time. So 2 years is enough when you see the whole picture. But my gripe is with the Top, and then we can figure out the direction of our program with a fresh face. You can blame everyone other than the Coach or AD for a while, but it ultimately is their responsibility for their respectful jobs. And I dont want to ever hear a Representative of Georgia Tech ever again blame the players for not making it in the papers. I dont care what happened, dont ever blame and take resposibility as a good leader. That's the bottomline.

All I want to know is.. after paying out 900K a year... are we at least gonna get kissed when it is over?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">uhhh .. how much of that money do you pay exactly wannabee?

are you a contributor to the AT fund? do you buy any tix? do you contribute in any way, sort or form to claim that your hard earned dollar goes into gailey's pocket?

if so, i'd like to know how so that i can shut up about it. put me to my place.

There will be no excuse to losing to dook, I don't care how many starters coming back losing to them and ending there ACC losing streak would make us the laughing stock of the league, a bad year this year will be catastrophic considering things only get worse next year

Originally posted by The Gnome of Zurich:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by DaveTech:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Dave, we didnt need a rebuilding program if we knew what we where doing at the Div I College Level. Why didnt we let Bill Lewis finish what he started? Again I agree 1 year isnt fair, but 2 1/2 was too long last time. So 2 years is enough when you see the whole picture. But my gripe is with the Top, and then we can figure out the direction of our program with a fresh face. You can blame everyone other than the Coach or AD for a while, but it ultimately is their responsibility for their respectful jobs. And I dont want to ever hear a Representative of Georgia Tech ever again blame the players for not making it in the papers. I dont care what happened, dont ever blame and take resposibility as a good leader. That's the bottomline.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">oh so a good leader like o'leary shouldn't be blaming a loss to one of his players running out of bounds then. oh ok. nor should he be saying after losing again and again to fsu that we put the players in a position to win but they didn't execute? oh ok.

what did gailey do when we won the nc state game? give credit where it's due .. where was it due? to the seniors.

which leaders are you talking about here?

what did braine do after flunk-gate? take blame for it?

Again, I agree with you one thing. O'Leary, Gailey, Braine, etc whould never say that in the papers. It could be true I dont care. I never want to see that ever again. But, my point is Braine. He said, IN THE PAPERS! "We gave them every thing they need to pass..." and yes then he said we all need to take blame. WRONG ANSWER. A leader takes them blame in public and then privately does what he thinks needs to be done. That is my opinion on how leadership faces problems and crises. Your employees also reflect your leadership qualities. THat is my issue. It starts there and ends there as far as my current concern. By the way, I have continued to say I believe you must give Gailey a chance this year, but he also better never say what he said at the halftime of the UGA game (I was at the game and my friend called me on my cell and said you wouldnt believe what Gailey said in the halftime interview on the sidelines)

Originally posted by The Gnome of Zurich:
Again, I agree with you one thing. O'Leary, Gailey, Braine, etc whould never say that in the papers. It could be true I dont care. I never want to see that ever again. But, my point is Braine. He said, IN THE PAPERS! "We gave them every thing they need to pass..." and yes then he said we all need to take blame. WRONG ANSWER. A leader takes them blame in public and then privately does what he thinks needs to be done. That is my opinion on how leadership faces problems and crises. Your employees also reflect your leadership qualities. THat is my issue. It starts there and ends there as far as my current concern. By the way, I have continued to say I believe you must give Gailey a chance this year, but he also better never say what he said at the halftime of the UGA game (I was at the game and my friend called me on my cell and said you wouldnt believe what Gailey said in the halftime interview on the sidelines)
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">what did gailey have to say during half time. i would love to know.

the only thing that disgusted me regarding leadership qualities was braine handing in his resignation letter.

if braine doesn't think he can do his job any more, to the extent that he's ready to tender his resignation .. he can pack up and leave.

if a guy publicly says that it's no fun doing his job any more and then it's in the open that he submits his resignation letter .. he needs to be let go.

tech needs people who are happy to work for her. not people who're tending resignation letters.

to contrast that, i'm seeing firm silent resolve in our head coach. he believes in himself and the team. he's not submitting resignation letters. that's my kind of guy.

Originally posted by ylojk8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BeeBad:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">uhhh .. how much of that money do you pay exactly wannabee?

are you a contributor to the AT fund? do you buy any tix? do you contribute in any way, sort or form to claim that your hard earned dollar goes into gailey's pocket?

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Trying to drum up some business, jlo?... Been kinda slow for you lately...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ylojk8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BeeBad:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Trying to drum up some business, jlo?... Been kinda slow for you lately...
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">uhhh .. and this is your straight up answer to a simple, straight forward question?

darn. you REALLY put me to my place wannabee

cummon beebad, the bandwagon fan that you are, tell me that you donated 10 bucks to the AT fund when we won the NC in 1990. tell me that you donated 10 bucks to the AT fund when we beat UGAg TIAR. tell me that you have a few AT points.

you've posted that you wonder if, as you put it, y'all will get "kisses" for gailey getting 900k. cummon, tell me how you deserve getting "kissed" for tech paying gailey his salary.

Back