Tech picked 8th at the ACC meetings...

Let's remember fans ... we didn't post this in the papers all over ACC country - the writers did! Would I have rather not seen this article - yes!

It's got nothing to do with NOT supporting our team - what it does have to do with is what some of us don't want to hear and what some of us are concerned about!

We'll play the games, we always do but the media will be on GT and every other team in the ACC - if the going is bad, THEY'LL WRITE ABOUT IT and vice versa. That's just the way it is.

Let's hope we don't have to read this stuff but it's already started with projections. Did anyone expect the media to not cover GT this year? These projections come out every season by the ACC beat writers, we're just use to being MUCH HIGHER!
shocked.gif

I can remember when we ALL LOVED THESE PROJECTIONS - we were flying high and things were good, we looked forward to pre-season rankings because we had it going and NOBODY WAS COMPLAINING!

Originally posted by DaveTech:
Five wins and CG will be here when he is Bobby Bowden's age (73).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I doubt it. A 5 win repetitive season will not make him last beyond his 53rd birthday!

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
Let's remember fans ... we didn't post this in the papers all over ACC country - the writers did! Would I have rather not seen this article - yes!

It's got nothing to do with NOT supporting our team - what it does have to do with is what some of us don't want to hear and what some of us are concerned about!

We'll play the games, we always do but the media will be on GT and every other team in the ACC - if the going is bad, THEY'LL WRITE ABOUT IT and vice versa. That's just the way it is.

Let's hope we don't have to read this stuff but it's already started with projections. Did anyone expect the media to not cover GT this year? These projections come out every season by the ACC beat writers, we're just use to being MUCH HIGHER!
shocked.gif

I can remember when we ALL LOVED THESE PROJECTIONS - we were flying high and things were good, we looked forward to pre-season rankings because we had it going and NOBODY WAS COMPLAINING!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Great post, MsTA!... We loved the polls when we were higher !

First of all I don't put too much
stock in sports writer's predictions.

In years past when GT has not been
highly-regarded by the sports writers,
they have risen to the occassion and
surprised their fans and the sports
writers.

I would be tickled to death if this
year's version of the Yellow Jackets
surprised us and the sportswriters with
a winning season.

But I am realist.

Having seen how our team was coached last
year and now seeing the loss of ten players
who were expected to contribute to the
success of this year's team, I believe that
being picked 8th in the A.C.C. is a fair
prediction. Also counting on as many as 15
true Freshman to contribute right off the bat
is in my opinion asking too much of 18 year
old kids. Albeit, there's a chance that maybe
two or three "might" contribute, but I have
my doubts.

Having a son who played for a Division 1 football
program, he has told me that the biggest obstacle
to overcome from high school ball to college ball
is the "speed of the game."

I also do not believe in the theory of
blaming prior coaches for anything that goes
wrong with a football team.

Two examples of this were the hiring of Ralph
Frigden at Maryland and Tyrone Willingham at
Notre Dame. How were these two coaches able
to take another coach's players and win with
them in convincing ways.

I will be the first guy to step and say I was
wrong if Coach Gailey finds a way to coach this
year's team up and surprise all of us with a
winning season!

oldgoldbee, I agree 100% but if it did happen, you would have to beat me to it. I still think though the organization as a whole needs a new leader though at the top. A winning year wouldnt change my mind on that one bit.

Originally posted by oldgoldbee:
First of all I don't put too much
stock in sports writer's predictions.

In years past when GT has not been
highly-regarded by the sports writers,
they have risen to the occassion and
surprised their fans and the sports
writers.

I would be tickled to death if this
year's version of the Yellow Jackets
surprised us and the sportswriters with
a winning season.

But I am realist.

Having seen how our team was coached last
year and now seeing the loss of ten players
who were expected to contribute to the
success of this year's team, I believe that
being picked 8th in the A.C.C. is a fair
prediction. Also counting on as many as 15
true Freshman to contribute right off the bat
is in my opinion asking too much of 18 year
old kids. Albeit, there's a chance that maybe
two or three "might" contribute, but I have
my doubts.

Having a son who played for a Division 1 football
program, he has told me that the biggest obstacle
to overcome from high school ball to college ball
is the "speed of the game."

I also do not believe in the theory of
blaming prior coaches for anything that goes
wrong with a football team.

Two examples of this were the hiring of Ralph
Frigden at Maryland and Tyrone Willingham at
Notre Dame. How were these two coaches able
to take another coach's players and win with
them in convincing ways.

I will be the first guy to step and say I was
wrong if Coach Gailey finds a way to coach this
year's team up and surprise all of us with a
winning season!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">OGB: You forgot Amato at NC State and a very good post!

Time for some replies, eh?

Correction:
We are in the 3rd (2nd) year now of "Unwinding" what O'Leary had built. Not anywhere similar to 89. (The unwinding started in 2001.)

MsTA, you sure don't tell things like they are stated. Is it your reading comprehension, or are you deliberately falsifying statements?

Your Statement: Blaming coaches who were or are not here is ridiculous!

No person said O'Brien would be blamed if Tech did not produce this year. I stated it would indicate O'Brien was inadequate for the 2002 year if Tech's offense and quarterback play is much better this year.

No one has blamed O'Leary for the 2002 year. I did state O'Learys record for his last 13 games, 7-6. Yep, its time you took a reading comprehension course.

(Ahso...
The Chan non-fans did not vote Tech 8th in the ACC - the beat writers for the ACC did!) I did not imply the Tech fans voted Tech 8th in the ACC. I said the Tech bashers on the board have said Tech will win no more than two games.

Please take a reading course.

GeeTee, you need a reading course also. You and other bashers predicted Tech would win maybe two or three games. So, if they win five games, based on the basher scale, then Gailey will get an attaboy and another year.

That is based on the basher scale, not mine. Maybe you should do as BeeBad has already done. Copy my post on Offensive Expectations. I stated with a few reservations, we would have a record of no less than 7-5.

He copied it and now has placed himself in a corner. He cannot say I have predicted anything else. You reread it, copy it, and maybe you can then keep my statements straight.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Time for some replies, eh?

Correction:
We are in the 3rd (2nd) year now of "Unwinding" what O'Leary had built. Not anywhere similar to 89. (The unwinding started in 2001.)

MsTA, you sure don't tell things like they are stated. Is it your reading comprehension, or are you deliberately falsifying statements?

Your Statement: Blaming coaches who were or are not here is ridiculous!

No person said O'Brien would be blamed if Tech did not produce this year. I stated it would indicate O'Brien was inadequate for the 2002 year if Tech's offense and quarterback play is much better this year.

No one has blamed O'Leary for the 2002 year. I did state O'Learys record for his last 13 games, 7-6. Yep, its time you took a reading comprehension course.

(Ahso...
The Chan non-fans did not vote Tech 8th in the ACC - the beat writers for the ACC did!) I did not imply the Tech fans voted Tech 8th in the ACC. I said the Tech bashers on the board have said Tech will win no more than two games.

Please take a reading course.

GeeTee, you need a reading course also. You and other bashers predicted Tech would win maybe two or three games. So, if they win five games, based on the basher scale, then Gailey will get an attaboy and another year.

That is based on the basher scale, not mine. Maybe you should do as BeeBad has already done. Copy my post on Offensive Expectations. I stated with a few reservations, we would have a record of no less than 7-5.

He copied it and now has placed himself in a corner. He cannot say I have predicted anything else. You reread it, copy it, and maybe you can then keep my statements straight.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You NEED TO READ ALL POSTS. DaveTech (post #191 above) said he blamed O'Leary for last year 2002 and would blame O'Brien for this! Those coaches have been gone! Who's the current guy on the block - Chan. I think he's the one getting the current paycheck. I responded to that and said - no way anybody not coaching here should be blamed. I read very well thank you?

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
pat.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Then maybe I need a reading course!

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I suggest "Focused on Top" by Jack Wilkinson one more time. That way we can all start today being focused on when we REALLY want to get back to being mentioned as a top notch ACC school.

I have both books and have read them several times. I have "Focused on the Top" and "Dodd's Luck".

Focused on the Top is good, but Dodd's Luck is a better book to read.

By the way, I have seen both you and MsTA make remarks about (Dave Tech's post) O'Leary being responsible for last years record, and O'Brien being responsible for this year's record.

I went back and reread Dave Tech's post in this thread. I am not exactly sure what he meant by that post, but I think both of you have misunderstood his intentions for the wording of that post.

Father Time

Back