Tech's Biggest Wins Over Georgia?

Father WASP

Flats Noob
Tech\'s Biggest Wins Over Georgia?

In modern times, here are the nominations:

1969: Before 60,000 at Grant Field, Tech beats a 10 point spread and wins for the first time in five years.

1974: For pure shock value, this may have it. Pepper took the wishbone into Sanford Stadium and during a continuous downpour whipped Georgia in dominating fashion 34-14.

1984: Especially sweet since this broke another drought. We did it in fine fashion with John Dewberry, a Georgia transfer, again on their own turf and by quite a distance 35-18.

1985: This one was nice because of the way it happened. Ga. came in ranked 4th in the country in scoring defense and 6th vs. the rush, a 4 pt. favorite. They took a 16-10 lead deep into the third quarter when Gary Lee took the ensuing kickoff and went 95 yards in front of the east stands and right by Vince Dooley. Tech's gutty defense held on for a 20-16 win.

1998: This one was huge. Joe Hamilton led us down for a Brad Chambers field goal in the final seconds for a 21-19 win. Huge because it broke a drought. Justice because it avenged a Georgia ripoff the year before, when a cheating SEC ref called one of the worst calls in series history on pass interference to give them a new set of downs. We didn't have to cheat for ours.

1999: Clearly the most exciting game in history. Tech wins in overtime when Joe Hamilton outshines Quincy Carter and Luke Manget kicks the winning field goal after George Godsey's heads up play on a third down blocked kick gave us another shot. Two in a row.

2000: The Fridge's last hurrah as a Yellow Jacket and the undoing of Donnan's career at Georgia. Convincing win in Athens to make it three in a row.

They were all sweet, but 1969 and 1998 get my vote.

Yours?

Re: Tech\'s Biggest Wins Over Georgia?

Gotta go with 1998.

Two 8-2 teams which is probably the best record for both teams combined in a long long time.

We ended the 7-game losing streak

It was part of our best season in quite awhile.

We won it on their turf.

We won it at the buzzer. The hurt I saw in their faces was something I will never forget. I even was given a piece of the hedge.

Re: Tech\'s Biggest Wins Over Georgia?

I'm gonna go with one you didn't even mention.

My personal favorite was 1989. But for pure importance, nothing touches our win in 1990. We desperately needed that game in order to remain in the hunt for the MNC. They jumped on top, but we came back and blew them out.

Our biggest win over UGA has got to be 1990. So much was riding on that game for us.

Back