Tech's new real/fake grass

romejacket

Varsity Lurker
Tech\'s new real/fake grass

What does everybody think about the new field turf is it good or bad? I would rather just use the plain ole grass but since turf adds speed and we have a speedy offense and defense it might just be something that could benefit us.

Re: Tech\'s new real/fake grass

It's REAL GRASS down on playing surface at BDS. Coach Gailey changed the plans that Coach O'leary was going to put down field turf.

One of the two practice fields at Rose Bowl is that field turf stuff. I've walked on it. It's soft. I doubt it's as fast as the real grass field, but could be wrong.

Personally, I like the real grass down at BDS. Have walked on it as well. It's sweet!!! Interested in what the players think.

The confusion may also be comming from the swath of field turf that was installed around the outside edge of Grant Field.

Could be kirbee. Thought about that after I posted.

The stuff that's around the playing surface is obviously not designed to play on. Has a 1" matt under it for cushion while the fibers are much longer and thicker that anything you'd play on.

Interesting how they connected it to the real grass, although I'm not really sure how they did it. Just thought it interesting that it fit together so well and smooth.

Wasn't there a border around the real grass? Remember taking at least one photo which shows it clearly (check galleries at LINKS at DAILY BUZZ to see it). Believe they just installed the fake stuff like a carpet, right up to that border.

Was concerned about appearance when first heard it would be green, but the latest photos at rr.com look pretty good.

Green mat around field is showing tire marks (black streaks). Don't know if this is cleanable or repairable.
BOO

Originally posted by CP-Jacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GTTerrific:
Could be kirbee. Thought about that after I posted.

The stuff that's around the playing surface is obviously not designed to play on. Has a 1" matt under it for cushion while the fibers are much longer and thicker that anything you'd play on.

Interesting how they connected it to the real grass, although I'm not really sure how they did it. Just thought it interesting that it fit together so well and smooth.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif"></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The dirt and sand that the real grass is rooting in is held in by a 3 or 4 inch thick concrete wall with a level top rim. Think of it as the worlds largest sand box or flower pot. The artificial turf covers and uses the top rim of the concrete retaining wall as its anchor so the real and fake grass meet at the same inside edge of the wall. Sence they kept the guys sober that formed and poured the wall, they look good together.
drinking.gif

Yes, know exactly what you're describing.

Saw it being put in from the start at BDS. Have taken great interest in all of this closely and in person a few times a week.

Was walking down out of stands to watch a worker fix the edge when it was done, but got asked to leave nicely.

I'm going to get a close look at it soon.
grin.gif

Back