Tenuta

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tenuta_jon00.html

Check out his bio page while he was here. We were consistently a Top 30 defense. Hell, when we beat Miami in 2005, we held them to 237 yards and 1/14 on third downs. [In 2005] The Tech defense held eight opponents to one offensive touchdown or less. I can't even fathom that today.

With PJs offense and Tenutas defense, we would be insanely awesome. Oh well, we can't have nice things like that Tech.

Tenuta defense would be the perfect match for our offense, but his personality would not. We need a rah rah recruiter guy and that's what Ted roof brings.

I don't know what kind of scheme masks having the DL we have this season.

I think CPJ hired roof to win the battles in the living room.

doubt it. Based on how we have played and techniques, not sure if mentally we strong enough to handle a scheme like Tenuta's

Should have hired Coach Kelly as DC

I was very surprised we didn't. I'm not sure what better audition you can give than the ACCCG (2nd half) and Sun Bowl.

That being said I don't know what he was like in the living room

u guys are forgetting all the losses on the DL we had due to flunkgate...we lost tony hargrove and hobie holiday both projected starters that year at DE.

It was so bad, we had to put a freshman OL in at DT to start named Wrotto.

this was in 2003. We ranked #27 in the country in Points allowed a game. Top 30 in total D.

Yes, we had D smith...clearly that helped...but the S for that season was a converted QB. We started really avg and young guys on the DL....Eric Henderson then came on at some point...but he was a relative unknown.

bottom line is teams deal with adversity...we still got defensive results. It can be done, you can scheme better than we have.

This team, is every bit talented enough to be a top 50 D. EVERY BIT.

We are in the 100s. If anyone things this is bottom 20 in the NCAA in talent on D...ok...fine...

Yes we need more talent, but our scheme is just flat bad too. I would take a non-recruiter DC like tenuta with his on field results any day over a rah rah roof guy with his on field results. Just me.

u guys are forgetting all the losses on the DL we had due to flunkgate...we lost tony hargrove and hobie holiday both projected starters that year at DE.

It was so bad, we had to put a freshman OL in at DT to start named Wrotto.

this was in 2003. We ranked #27 in the country in Points allowed a game. Top 30 in total D.

Yes, we had D smith...clearly that helped...but the S for that season was a converted QB. We started really avg and young guys on the DL....Eric Henderson then came on at some point...but he was a relative unknown.

bottom line is teams deal with adversity...we still got defensive results. It can be done, you can scheme better than we have.

This team, is every bit talented enough to be a top 50 D. EVERY BIT.

We are in the 100s. If anyone things this is bottom 20 in the NCAA in talent on D...ok...fine...

Yes we need more talent, but our scheme is just flat bad too. I would take a non-recruiter DC like tenuta with his on field results any day over a rah rah roof guy with his on field results. Just me.

This .

Was totally pissed when we hired Roof.

Tenuta didn't exactly light the world on fire anywhere he's been since he left, either.

And he's not coming back here, so I don't know why we're even talking about it.

Tenuta was a boom or bust DC. The style of offense we played tonight was his achilles heel....but I think the Duke outcome may have been different. Teams didn't run for 200+ yard on TENUTA!!

I guess we are gonna find out bout dat, huh?

I wish we'd hure Tenuta. He would put an end to soft DB play and no cornerback would ever be in an island ever again.

GT fans are like Drew Barrymore in 50 First Dates.

If our corners are on an island now, it's about the distance from Cuba to Aruba.

How did Tenuta do against Navy with Notre Dame talent? Oops!

You put D Smith and E Henderson on this defense with some really avg guys like Wrotto and it would make a difference. Right now we got Gotsis and who, and I personally don't see Gotsis playing on Sundays; but maybe he will.

Tenuta didn't exactly light the world on fire anywhere he's been since he left, either.

And he's not coming back here, so I don't know why we're even talking about it.

Because a lot of guys forget the times the Tenuta defense laid an egg, that's why. Anytime a good offense showed up we typically lost. There were 4 or 5 ACC defenses ranked in the top 30 because the offenses were awful, now you got good offenses in the ACC and even Bud Foster doesn't look that brilliant anymore.

Tenuta had better talent, at any given time he usually had 2/3 NFL Linebackers, an NFL DB, and 2 NFL DL, mix in a few more solid ALL ACC type upperclassmen.

Talent is our #1 problem. Tenuta wasn't the guy who recruited that talent either so I doubt he'd help here now. Gailey and his staff deserve a lot of credit for the defensive talent we were able to trot out there for a 4-5 year stretch.

Last edited:
While I don't want Tenuta back, I do want to see changes in the play calling with more blitzes and stunts, etc. If we give up the big play so be it. It would be more merciful to the defense (not to mention the fans) to see us fail quicker and get the ball back than watch the D get mauled down the field 10 yards at a time.

And can we quit using "bend but don't break"? "Folded, spindled and mutilated" seems more appropriate.

I was very surprised we didn't. I'm not sure what better audition you can give than the ACCCG (2nd half) and Sun Bowl.

That being said I don't know what he was like in the living room

Probably the best recruiter on the staff.

Because a lot of guys forget the times the Tenuta defense laid an egg, that's why. Anytime a good offense showed up we typically lost. There were 4 or 5 ACC defenses ranked in the top 30 because the offenses were awful, now you got good offenses in the ACC and even Bud Foster doesn't look that brilliant anymore.

Virginia's defense sure as hell looks a lot better the ours.

I know this is the elephant in the room. A lot of Tech fans like to reminisce about the Tenuta years. My question is if Tenuta was our DC this season, would the defensive results be improved, or is it simply a lack of defensive talent that no coach could overcome?

I think it boils down to what we have and what the guy on the other side has and we are not up to par.No pass rush and folks run right at us........nobody can outscheme a lack of talent all the time.

Back