Texas shrinkage

GTnut

Varsity Lurker
I hope these recruits from Texas are staying out of the steam room. When you look at -
Bridges 6'2" 185, now 6'0 165,
McDaniel 6'4" 210, now 6'1" 200,
Sampson 6'2" 200, now 5'10" 190,
our FB 6'2" 220, now 6'1" 215 as a RS SO;
we could end up with some pretty small OL and LBs!

One minor correction -
McGuire (not McDaniel) - 6'4" 210 now 6'3" 205 (not 6'1" 200 as you indicated)

Overall 1 1/2 inches and 10-15 lbs is about the average difference between the recruits "numbers" and reality (also about .15-.2 in the 40).

Sampson's difference, however, seems more than out of the norm

Where in the world did you read that Michael Sampson is only 5'10"??? He's 6'1".
confused.gif

Nevermind, I saw it listed there on the depth chart. The official site still has him at 6'1" and that is much closer to the truth.

I guess now we know why they say everything is bigger in Texas but I didn't realize they got smaller when they crossed the border.

This is bizarre. What is the source of the initial height and weight and the later height and weight?

Does anyone have an explanation for the discrepancies?

Well some of GTnuts info is wrong:

1) Jimmy Dixson was listed at 6:1 200lbs when he signed now he is at 6:1 215lbs

2) Michael Sampson was listed at 6:1 190lbs when he signed not 200lbs

Well now, I don't know about that
smile.gif

Actually, I don't doubt that most of it is wrong; both when players were recruits and current info provided by GT.
I can say for sure that I didn't make it up- I took the "before" from various recruiting reports including our own list of recruits by year on The Hive. The current info is right off the depth chart on RamblingWreck. com.
However, my point was and still is - if that type of shrinkage will continue then we may have some smaller OL and LB recruits than we think!

I don't know about you guys, but after that UGA game and a few others where we seemed to get outmuscled and manhandled, MANY of our players need to get BIGGER AND STRONGER by next season. I know this is a common theme of mine, but to compete with the UGA's and AU's of the world, we've got to STOP being pushed around on the field. Not sure how much can be improved by next fall, but I KNOW CCG will do his level best to remedy this, and it's a MAJOR point that needs to be addressed I beelieve!

In 2000, we didn't outmuscle Georgia - we outthought them.

We got a big lead with superb playcalling and then held onto it.

It was music to my ears to hear the Georgia fans grumbling as they milled out that they got outcoached.

GT nut/Bobby Dodds Ghost:

Gee, I think it's cold showers not steam baths that cause shrinkage...

Cheers
drinking.gif
drinking.gif

goldbuzz, in 2000 we did PLENTY of dawg bullying. Watson & Robinson were superb on the DL and Key, Brown, and Bennett kicked plenty of first round draft pick dawg butt. You might also ask Musa if he thought Smith was finessing him! That game could have been MUCH worse. We lost a lot when Bennett and later Watson were injured. THWG

AMEN GoldZ. It's gonna take a strong combination of strength and toughness at the line of scrimmage along with solid coaching for us to compete and even beat UGA and AU and the like. AU is ALREADY talking about a Top 10 finish and winning the SEC next year. I think it's very possible. They've got just about ALL of their key players returning. We've got to give them our A PLUS game to compete along with solid coaching gameplanning and adjustments. I just hope we don't get embarrassed early. It would be a long year for me personally having married into an AU family.

Back