That didn't take long

Per someone else's idea here, I think six is a good and fair number. Take all 5 champions, leaving one spot for ND, non Big 5, etc. Give #1 and #2 seeds off.

8 isn't hard schedule wise even if you want to reserve a week. Just reduce the number of games in the regular season by 1. Every team plays a 'why?' game already that barely counts towards anything and nobody anywhere would miss those games.

8 isn't hard schedule wise even if you want to reserve a week. Just reduce the number of games in the regular season by 1. Every team plays a 'why?' game already that barely counts towards anything and nobody anywhere would miss those games.
No

I understand it's not going to happen, but if it did, what would we be missing? A game against Wofford, Jax State, Elon, South Carolina State, Gardner Webb, etc? I don't think anybody is going to be writing an email to the AA with words in it like "I have decided to stop my support of the program because we no longer schedule FCS teams".

8 is enough to be sure the actual best team is in the pool, as long as the selection criteria includes the conference champions and something else unbiased, such as the top 3 non-champ RPI or something.

this. if there is a playoff, it should be 8 teams and not 4.

personally, i liked it best the way it was 'in the beginning' with conference-affiliated bowl games and no BCS nor Playoff, but if there is a playoff it should be 6 or 8 teams.

6 might be better than 8, with a 'play-in' game on each side and a semi and a final

15649165550_f8c5c72fe4.jpg

I understand it's not going to happen, but if it did, what would we be missing? A game against Wofford, Jax State, Elon, South Carolina State, Gardner Webb, etc? I don't think anybody is going to be writing an email to the AA with words in it like "I have decided to stop my support of the program because we no longer schedule FCS teams".
I am not giving a game and a tailgate away so that someone else will play in the playoff an extra game. (most years)

We'll be at 8 within 5 years and 16 within 10. Wait til these commissioner see the ratings and ad $$ for the conference championship games just leading UP to the playoff, and then the playoff itself... Especially with the names involved. Alabama, FSU, Oregon... it's a financial wet dream for them.

Look at what the bowl system became as a result of the same stuff. .500 record? You're in. Worse than that? You still may be in. More bowls than eligible teams. Why? $$$$

Playoff will be that times four.

We'll be at 8 within 5 years and 16 within 10. Wait til these commissioner see the ratings and ad $$ for the conference championship games just leading UP to the playoff, and then the playoff itself... Especially with the names involved. Alabama, FSU, Oregon... it's a financial wet dream for them.

Look at what the bowl system became as a result of the same stuff. .500 record? You're in. Worse than that? You still may be in. More bowls than eligible teams. Why? $$$$

Playoff will be that times four.

only for the top games. let in 16 and the ratings per game drop. it essentially becomes nothing more than another big game like a conference championship and not a playoff

I'm sure the current top 4 doesn't appeal to TV execs. You have Alabama, Mississippi, Florida Panhandle, and Oregon. Meanwhile you'll have limited TV interest in all the major TV markets. If Oregon slips and is replaced by an east Texas team like TCU or Baylor it would be a potential TV ratings nightmare. A Mississippi vs Alabama rematch for the championship could be a real ratings disaster that actually have viewers boycott.

Per someone else's idea here, I think six is a good and fair number. Take all 5 champions, leaving one spot for ND, non Big 5, etc. Give #1 and #2 seeds off.

if you're going to do 6, you might as well do 8. Same log2. (same number of weeks to reduce to a single champion)

What 16 would give you is a true national championship by including all conference champs. It would also reward top seeds by giving them essentially a bye playing the worst of the group of 5 champs.

What is so wrong about including all the conference champions? Some years they'd deserve it more than Power 5 teams. I for one would like to see Marshall compete for a National Title. The current system doesn't allow it. It would also value conference champions inherently over the current system.

Current speculation with 16 and P5 conference champs get home game automatically: I think you'd put a limit at 2 per division from conferences with divisions. And no more than 3 per conference.

Northern Ill/MAC@ Bama
Ga Southern/ULL @ Oregon
Cincy/AAC winner @ FSU
Marshall @ Ohio state
Colorado State @ TCU
UGA @ Miss state
AZ St @ Baylor
UCLA @ mich state

Go to 6 16-team Conferences and you get 96 teams out of the 120 FBS teams. You play your 7 divisional games, a permanent cross-div rival, and then 3 more games however you can schedule them. 11-game regular season instead of 12. That way there is no argument about a team playing too many games. Most a team could play would be 15 games, one more than now. And if the top two seeds win, they'd only play 14 games.

6 Conference champs are seeded and two get byes. There will be some subjectivity to these seedings, but that is unavoidable, I think.

What 16 would give you is a true national championship by including all conference champs. It would also reward top seeds by giving them essentially a bye playing the worst of the group of 5 champs.

I don't think anyone would consider playing a conference champ a bye week. A player can blow out a knee even playing a FCS opponent.

What is so wrong about including all the conference champions? Some years they'd deserve it more than Power 5 teams. I for one would like to see Marshall compete for a National Title.

Well, that makes one person plus all the Marshall alumni I guess.

Go to 6 16-team Conferences and you get 96 teams out of the 120 FBS teams. You play your 7 divisional games, a permanent cross-div rival, and then 3 more games however you can schedule them. 11-game regular season instead of 12. That way there is no argument about a team playing too many games. Most a team could play would be 15 games, one more than now. And if the top two seeds win, they'd only play 14 games.

6 Conference champs are seeded and two get byes. There will be some subjectivity to these seedings, but that is unavoidable, I think.

interesting and workable; it eliminates the 'out of conference' cross-scheduling to establish Strength of Schedule which is always the hardest thing to do. no more ND v USC during the season, but instead USC has to win their conference

also, no two SEC teams in the playoff

I like it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, play either the conference championship or the first round playoff game at the higher seeds' home stadium. Maybe force them to sell more away tickets or something, but that will put some more emphasis back on the regular season.

I bet the lil girl wants to expand.

At 6 or 8, as long as all P5 champs get a spot, it would force ND to join the ACC as a full member. They would have 2 open slots to get into the playoffs as a conf member rather than just 1 as an independent. I don't see how they could limit their opportunities like that no matter how much they value their independence and all that bs that they always preach.

8 is enough to be sure the actual best team is in the pool, as long as the selection criteria includes the conference champions and something else unbiased, such as the top 3 non-champ RPI or something.

In my best Lumberg voice:

"Um... yea. See, that's going to kind of, be... a little bit of a problem there. We need to be able to manage the ratings, m'kay?"

Back