The ACC really needs Georgia Tech back

texstinger

Dodd-Like
I realize one step at a time, but winning the Coastal is not “being back” to me.

We can do better.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Glad we've only been "not back" for a year, some teams get stuck there forever.

Is it just me or does anybody else find it kinda funny how we've always made fun of uga for their preseason and recruiting "national championships", but now that our actual record is horrendous and recruiting is improved, we want to play the recruiting national championship game too? Personally, I don't care much about recruiting rankings or number of players in the NFL, I care about actual wins and actual championships.
Everybody wants to win actual games and not recruiting rankings. Fans are looking for positives to be excited about in light of the poor season we had. Really no point to come on here and be negative about a genuinely good thing happening to Tech football.

GoJackets89

Helluva Engineer

Is it just me or does anybody else find it kinda funny how we've always made fun of uga for their preseason and recruiting "national championships", but now that our actual record is horrendous and recruiting is improved, we want to play the recruiting national championship game too? Personally, I don't care much about recruiting rankings or number of players in the NFL, I care about actual wins and actual championships.
Totally different scenarios. UGAg is used to getting good classes but coming up short when it means the most.

The last highly ranked class we had did good things.

If we string together years of good classes and Collins has only his players to work with we can better judge. At this point the recruiting and rebranding of Tech are very much a positive.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Not losing 52-7 to UGA, not losing to the Citadel, not getting shut out, not being bowl ineligible, not being more excited about recruiting rankings than actual rankings, and not thanking God for coaches who go 3-9.

It's odd that this board believes the ACC is awful; but simultaneously believes our getting to bowl eligible next season is setting expectations too high.
I am hopeful for ~6 wins next year, but what is really odd is that you seem to think getting run off the field by uga, missing bowls, and going 3-9 are something that just started this year. It's as if the 2014 Orange Bowl is the last time you watched Georgia Tech football.

This is a rebuild. Acknowledging this fact gives you a different perspective.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I am hopeful for ~6 wins next year, but what is really odd is that you seem to think getting run off the field by uga, missing bowls, and going 3-9 are something that just started this year. It's as if the 2014 Orange Bowl is the last time you watched Georgia Tech football.

This is a rebuild.
Getting beat 52-7 by UGA is historic, as is losing to the Citadel, as was getting shut out. A rebuild it is, I am watching UNC's rebuild right now and it is 34-6. I like where it looks like CGC is going; but I'll hold off on singing his praises until we are at least challenging for ACC titles.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Getting beat 52-7 by UGA is historic, as is losing to the Citadel, as was getting shut out. A rebuild it is, I am watching UNC's rebuild right now and it is 34-6. I like where it looks like CGC is going; but I'll hold off on singing his praises until we are at least challenging for ACC titles.
uga could have named their score the previous 2 years. Losing to the Citadel, I will grant you that one. Would you have been more forgiving if we managed to kick a field goal against VPI? What difference does it make whether you pick up garbage points or not?

unc never really was a rebuild. They had everything in place and just needed a decent coach and they hit paydirt with a freshman QB. Not remotely in the same ballpark as what we're doing.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
uga could have named their score the previous 2 years.
52-7 is the worst ever, even Chan kept it within 44.

Losing to the Citadel, I will grant you that one.
:ughdance:

Would you have been more forgiving if we managed to kick a field goal against VPI?
Yes.

What difference does it make whether you pick up garbage points or not?
It shows you can at least score garbage points.

unc never really was a rebuild. They had everything in place and just needed a decent coach and they hit paydirt with a freshman QB. Not remotely in the same ballpark as what we're doing.
UNC won 2 games last year, 2 games. UNC won 3 games in 2017. GT won 5 games in 2017 and 7 in 2018. The rebuilds aren't the same but don't underestimate the job CMB is doing. UNC is blasting Temple right now. We'll have to become competitive with UNC before we can become competitive with Clemson.

yellowbritchies

Flats Noob
Des

Despite Miami’s pathetic showing and their yearly disappointment they’ll probably be ranked in the top 20 preseason rankings again. Sooner or later the voters will be able to say they were right.
Pathetic it was. Read where they just fired their OC. Watching that game ,it seems that Miami is back to their old thug acting days. Cheap shots, talking trash even when they are getting handed their jocks by by better players!

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
52-7 is the worst ever, even Chan kept it within 44.

:ughdance:

Yes.

It shows you can at least score garbage points.

UNC won 2 games last year, 2 games. UNC won 3 games in 2017. GT won 5 games in 2017 and 7 in 2018. The rebuilds aren't the same but don't underestimate the job CMB is doing. UNC is blasting Temple right now. We'll have to become competitive with UNC before we can become competitive with Clemson.
I have said Mack is gonna be trouble from day 1. But give us Howell and a functioning OLine vs a stable of option qbs and no Oline and we win 6, too.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like

Sure, but anyone who can see the forest for the trees knows that it's not coincidence that the "actual championships" are coming from the schools doing great in recruiting and sending loads of players to the NFL. Recruiting great players guarantees you nothing, but it gives you a fighting chance, and it sure as hell makes it a whole lot more interesting as a fan.

Vespidie

Dodd-Like

Motivating the minds, man, just motivating the minds. Remember, everyone is a winner in their own predefined sort of way. :first:

pianoman

Varsity Lurker
I realize one step at a time, but winning the Coastal is not “being back” to me.

We can do better.
Agreed but we’re 4 for 15 so it’s still a solid stretch goal until proven otherwise.
Vpi in particular not rolling over, big budget, strong admin and fan support, iirc they won 6 in same period.
If we emerge as the Clemson of coastal and take it 4-5+ times over next 7-8 years, that would be solid progress, pretty terrific in fact. You’d have to go back pre 1970s to view that as GT “underperforming.”

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
if we win a division in a P5 conference 5/8 years, we are in great shape. I think that list is Wisconsin, Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson and that's it.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
To me, being back means perennial Top 25 ranking. That’s where we were under GOL.
I agree.

In all of the Gailey years it seems like we were always ranked in the “others receiving votes” category.

Paul Johnson had a few underrated teams...like the year we won 9 games (3-0 against SEC schools) and still weren’t even ranked.

pianoman

Varsity Lurker
Below is OLeary’s 8 year record, probably a good metric going forward, but only one really very good year, which would disappoint fans with more distant historical memories of GT dominance. AP ranking on right side, like Wesleyd said, consistent top 25 last 5 years.
Looks like we were good enough to win the Coastal three years.
Maybe a 4th (1997) if tie breaks lined up, but probably not.

Head coaching record

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs AP
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
(Atlantic Coast Conference) (1994–2001)
1994 Georgia Tech 0–3 0–2 9th
1995 Georgia Tech 6–5 5–3 4th
1996 Georgia Tech 5–6 4–4 5th
1997 Georgia Tech 7–5 5–3 T–3rd W Carquest 25
1998 Georgia Tech 10–2 7–1 T–1st W Gator 9
1999 Georgia Tech 8–4 5–3 T–2nd L Gator 20
2000 Georgia Tech 9–3 6–2 T–2nd L Peach 17
2001 Georgia Tech 7–5 4–4 T–4th W Seattle* 24

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
Those of us who don't have our heads in the sands have paid attention to the fact that the teams winning the recruiting "national championships" are the teams consistently playing for real championships. Talent matters...who woulda thunk it?