The actual demise... (long and confused)

luckyjacket

Varsity Lurker
of the program, in my strong opinion, happened when the Maryland president (Yoh I believe) made her trip to Hartsfield and met with Fridge. From that point on, Tech has been sliding. The crash occured on Saturday.

Last year it was evident that we were getting worse weekly. Not counting the massacre at Annapolis, most people were waiting for the offense to click like it did in 2000. Obviously, the win versus Stanford relit the hopes of Jacket fans everywhere. It sure made me confident that we would ok.

However, it did not work out that way. While writing this, I have become confused about BOB.... With GOL and no Fridge, the offense was predictable and not very effective even with Godsey at qb. Without GOL vs. Stanford, BOB looks like an offensive genius. I won't even rehash the disaster of '02, but is it as simple as the HC needs to leave Billy alone to run the offense? Probably not, to answer my own question.

Sorry for the extensive rambling, but my belief is that the cat got out of the bag when CRF departed, and I wonder why BOB was not offered a job at Md under Ralph, but was going to follow GOL to ND.

And don't forget, when BOB had Godsey last year I still say GG was NOT 100%.

Look guys, all this talk of the demise of the program, when we've been 8-5 and 7-5 since Fridge left just proves to me again that we don't have a program. That's not great but it doesn't suck either. But since we are panicking so badly it just shows how fragile we are. If any one of us acted this way in our private lives, people would say we suffer from a severe inferiority complex.

Let me state it another way. Auburn has had their ups and downs as well. They have gone through probation, coaching changes and bad years. But Auburn fans aren't worried about the "demise of the program". They get pissed, put pressure on their coach and show up for games and cheer for their team. And Auburn invariably turns is around, at least for a while.

We on the other hand convince ourselves that our doom is nigh and that unless we have an immediate change we'll disappear forever (Div II, bottom of the ACC). With the way we react to a little adversity we don't deserve a good program anyway.

Just to give you a little hint, those who aren't so close to the situation (meaning not emotionally attached or close to Atlanta) don't think Tech has self destructed. They think we had a weird year and are expecting us to continue to be among the more dangerous teams in the conference.

ncjacket - there's one way to make sure you will improve - and that is to be concerned when things don't go well.

Losers accept their fate saying its not so bad. Winners figure out how to do something about it.

luckyjacket - I agree with you. It does appear that Friedgen is the missing ingredient.

I think Godsey's performance suffered because Friedgen wasn't there to coach him. Beginning in the Peach Bowl - the first game without Friedgen -Godsey's form and technique declined.

I would really like to know the story of whether Bill O'Brien was handcuffed by O'Leary and is being handcuffed by Gailey. Our offense did look good last year in the bowl game.

It may be the Ga game was an aberration just like the Stanford game was.
Think about it.Throw out the high and low and what do you get?

What bothers me so much about the Gailey regime is
that he has brought division in the Tech camp. We will always have dissenters but there is a wide chasm in the ranks of the Jackets. CG has been so secretive about everything that is happening with the program and that has brought some resentment from many. While I had some problems with O'Leary's abrasive personality,but George did understand the importance of keeping the Tech faithful informed and making us all feel a part of the program. CG operates the program as if it was some secret order or something. He has effectively closed most avenues for us to learn what is being done with our money and there are a huge number that is mad as hell. The more $ we have invested in the program the more we demand
access to what the hell is going on so naturally
the fan that gives five thousand per year would feel somewhat stronger about being shut out than a five hundred per year contributor. I think this is some of what we are seeing on this board. I don't think that CG can win many back on his side
even if he started winning becaused he has offended so many.

Originally posted by beeware:
[QBThe Seattle Bowl was not an aberration. It was going to be the beginning of the rise to the next level.

[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You speak this as fact... and there is no way for you to know this... this may be your opinion, or what you hoped to be... but you have stated it as fact.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
What bothers me so much about the Gailey regime is
that he has brought division in the Tech camp. We will always have dissenters but there is a wide chasm in the ranks of the Jackets. CG has been so secretive about everything that is happening with the program and that has brought some resentment from many. While I had some problems with O'Leary's abrasive personality,but George did understand the importance of keeping the Tech faithful informed and making us all feel a part of the program. CG operates the program as if it was some secret order or something. He has effectively closed most avenues for us to learn what is being done with our money and there are a huge number that is mad as hell. The more $ we have invested in the program the more we demand
access to what the hell is going on so naturally
the fan that gives five thousand per year would feel somewhat stronger about being shut out than a five hundred per year contributor. I think this is some of what we are seeing on this board. I don't think that CG can win many back on his side
even if he started winning becaused he has offended so many.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Big Buck.. I have to laugh at this one... you act as if EVERYONE was so happy with George O'Leary... that was absolutely not the case... there were a couple of big boosters who had had their fill of him.. not to mention some in the GTAA administration ... in my opinion, its no different than its been for years... there are always going to be those who view the world as the glass is half empty, or those who cant enjoy life unless they are constantly dwelling on the negative. While I appreciate what GOL accomplished at Tech, the last I recall, he didnt have a halo over his head.

I'm one booster who thought GO'L was a pompous ass and was glad to see him leave (he left us remember).

Having said that to quote Patton (or was it G.C. Scott playing Patton?):

"Gentlemen, America loves a winner and can't tolerate a loser."

I, for one, have not acquired a taste for losing, nor have I become confused as to the difference between effort and results.

For me, who ever the Tech coach is next year, better damn well be a winner.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I never said anything about accepting losing. In the Auburn example I used I talked about putting pressure on the coaches to straighten things out. I don't have any problem with criticism of decision, etc., the coaches have made. What makes me shake my head is the constant wailing that we've lost it and we'll never get it back. Again, if we're that fragile we never had it to start with.

As for CG dividing the program I think there are many who did that for him just as soon as his name came up. BeeWare for one, and I've never yet seen Big Buck, Father WASP, techrod say anything positive about him or the program since he started. In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking of a new coach who came in to a more hostile reception, maybe Curry at Alabama? Again, its a chicken or egg thing, did we become divided because of Chan or were we already there?

I second that 71Bee... I dont care who it is .. I want to see improvement and W's

NC Jacket, I don't think they are saying we've lost it and will never get it back. I think they are saying, "if we don't do something then we won't get it back."

They are just concerned supporters wanting to make sure that the program gets back on track.

I think that is positive. Its certainly better than no one saying anything.

Bill O' Brien is here for one reason... to call offensive plays. My question to BOB haters is this-Why should BON ne fired if he is trying to call a good game but the head coach continues to overrule him on more than one occasion?

I like BOB. I want him to stay here as long as he wants. The problem this season was NOT the play calls, but the EXECUTION!!! In my opinion the bad play calling goes on Gailey and not BOB.

I think Gailey was trying to run the offense like he would if he was still the OC with the Miami Dolphins. Once he learns that he just directs traffic on the sideline and has input, but not calling the Offensive plays, he will be fine here.

BOB calling his own plays was demonstrated in Stanford game in Seattle last year. Last time I checked, that was a 24-14 WIN!!

Bottom Line: BOB is a good coach!

gtfan1147,

I've not had the opportunity to listen on the game phones, sit in the box with BO'B or listen to the conversations between Gailey and O'Brian.

So I don't know who screwed up:

A.. All good calls were CG's-he will save us all
B.. All bad calls were CG's- he is the downfall of GT

But I do now (as of now anyway), Gailey is the head coach and that's were the buck stops.

Whoever the next season's head coach is can sort it out.

Strike that, damn well better sort it out!!!

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Originally posted by AlaGold:
It may be the Ga game was an aberration just like the Stanford game was.
Think about it.Throw out the high and low and what do you get?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">AG,
Your premise is wrong. The Seattle Bowl was not an aberration. It was going to be the beginning of the rise to the next level.

But it was not allowed to continue. Instead of going into recruiting season and spring practice with the momentum and promise of the Seattle Bowl and the fine job that both the staff and players did, the momentum was stopped in its tracks and spring practice was spent learning everyones name instead of getting ready for the new season (which is very obvious now).

Because Dave Braine made the biggest mistake in the history of the free world when he hired the totally unqualified Chan Gailey and let him bring in a mostly unqualifed staff.

Chan is bringing us to a new level. But we are not rising to it....we are falling fast. And the defeat of all time historic proportions to our hated rival just emphasizes that fact. And unfortunately, the ugag game does not appear to be an aberration either. It is the new Chan Gailey led norm.

This was not necessary. But we will all be reaping the effects of it for decades.

Back