"the father of the spread option"

also it said we beat VT 34-9 last week. fail for journalism skill; kudos for bashing hokies

The only thing that bothers me about this article is that it incorrectly assumes that the "spread" is a gimmick offense and that the "spread option" is another trick to be pulled, when in reality they're both offensive philosophies, similar ones at that, and it doesn't come down to defenses adapting, it comes down to the offense executing.

...and it doesn't come down to defenses adapting, it comes down to the offense executing.
Allen hit it on the dot and I would have to believe CPJ would agree here because of what he preaches about needing to execute for anything to be successful.

Seems like to be Pinkel is looking for something to blame rather than himself.

CPJ getting some love from the midwest.....

http://www.newstribune.com/articles/2009/10/29/sports/063sports60mizzou09.txt

this high school offense will never work at this level. :laugher:

The "high school" angle is more interesting than I thought.

I was searching about yesterday trying to find out who was first to use the flexbone formation and found other more general information that was interesting.

I found articles talking about the success of the wildcat in the NFL and tracing back football developments to the single wing formation and other offenses and formations.

Here's the interesting thing, most innovation in football has always started at the high school level.

That is interesting to me given the disparaging remarks about this or that being a "High School Offense."

Interesting that on the "flexbone" wiki page I found this:

Famous Flexbone coaches:
Paul Johnson - Georgia Southern, Navy, Georgia Tech

Fullback - Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexbone_formation

I have to admit though that the picture they use for the base formation looks like our base...just sayin'. But yeah, I know we run our own thing....no need to remind me.

The only thing that bothers me about this article is that it incorrectly assumes that the "spread" is a gimmick offense and that the "spread option" is another trick to be pulled, when in reality they're both offensive philosophies, similar ones at that, and it doesn't come down to defenses adapting, it comes down to the offense executing.

I think it is poorly written but I don't think that is the intent.

There is no offensive OR defensive scheme that can't be countered with both scheme AND personnel changes. So the more popular offenses drive coaches to scheme and get players to fit those schemes.

It is a continuous cycle as teams copy whatever is successful until it becomes less successful. It inevitably becomes less successful the more other people do it because you are competing for the same talent and because the defense (or offense) is investing more effort trying to defeat it.

I think it is poorly written but I don't think that is the intent.

There is no offensive OR defensive scheme that can't be countered with both scheme AND personnel changes. So the more popular offenses drive coaches to scheme and get players to fit those schemes.

It is a continuous cycle as teams copy whatever is successful until it becomes less successful. It inevitably becomes less successful the more other people do it because you are competing for the same talent and because the defense (or offense) is investing more effort trying to defeat it.

Bingo. Copy-cat leagues lead to a rotation of sorts with respect to offensive systems that exploit whatever defensive philosophy is currently dominant. Like evolution, it never ends.

Back