The Gailey Offense

The Gnome of Zurich

Varsity Lurker
There is a reason why Troy Aikman said upon the firing of Chan Gailey: "The objective of the game is to win. The objective of the Offense is to score points. AND WE JUST DIDNT DO THAT ENOUGH 'under Gailey'..."

Jim Grobe, head coach of Wake Forest, was quoted after they came from behind to beat a solid BC team yesterday" we had 3 running backs get hurt so we had to ad lib a lot today." And he found a way to win the game.

There should never be an excuse from a head coach. When there is, it's over. The fans like us can say what we want, but the objective of the game is to win no matter what the circumstances. You are not going to win every time, but like Gailey says (softly, of course), "I expect to go 13-0."

Well, the Gailey offense is now averaging a whopping 11.6 points per game in the last 5 games (we didnt score an offensive point against BYU.) There are no excuses. He gets paid 900,000+ to win. If we were winning those games, then it's a moot point. But we are not (except for the Duke game where we scored a huge 17pts.) You obviously dont win a lot of games averaging 11.6 in football (Team is averaging 14 total.) Some may say, "that's not fair, it was Bill O'Brien's offense and Gailey and him didnt get along or see eye-to-eye last year..." The fans can say that to justify the results, but Gailey cant. Why, because there are never excuses.

I am not saying one game this year with a new Freshman QB starting is the whole season. I do believe we have to give Gailey the full reins to do as he sees fit to win football games. We have. He is the HC, the Offensive Coordinator, and has put the players out there that he thinks can do that. He says, "we will put the best players out there at each position." Of course. It is his job to win. You must score points to win obviuosly, because we are 1 out of our last 5.

You can help the defense (with it's lack of depth) by controlling the football and scoring points. But I'll take scoring points this year a hell of lot more than not scoring and not controlling the ball. We have no depth on defense. We need an offense to be our best defense.

We'll see what happens. There are no excuses in the end if the job doesnt get done. A HC should never have excuses and we surely better not hear any. I like Jim Grobe's take on things...

Although I did not like the Bear, he always took the blame for a loss explaining he did not prepare the team properly, or he had the wrong game plan or something to that effect. CCG must get the O running on all 8 cylinders it seems to me now we may be running only on 4. Vanilla is ok in ice cream or in a cake but not on the football field.

Back