The Good & The Bad

GTPilot

Flats Noob
The Good.

Reggie Ball - He performed well tonight. I was impressed and feel much better about our QB position.

Special Teams - Kenny made a mental error but was great on the punt block. Overall I think this unit also performed better than I thought they would.

Offensive Line - Did a great job of picking put the blitz and the rush blocking wasn't bad either.

The Bad.

Secondary - I thought this unit would perform better but they let the TE get behind them too many times. They also could have been burnt a few more times but the QB wasn't able to find the guy. Really need this unit to grow up fast since our pass rush still isn't consistent.

Mental Mistakes - Granted that BYU was called for more penalties, but we seemed to make ours at the most costly times. I really believe that these cost us the game. Four of them stick in my mind: 1. Delay of game when we were down inside the 5. 2. Holding on the play when JSmith went inside the red zone. 3. Face mask on BYU's final drive. 4. Taunting on play where BYU was called for holding.

Fumbles - The offensive guys really let Ball down tonight. The first fumble by JSmith was wrong but the others were devastating.

Third Down Stops - It seems like a Tech tradition nowdays but we continue to give up long drives by getting them to 3rd (and even 4th) downs and then giving up the first down. This has got to stop. Poor tackling cost and lack of consistent pass rush hurt.

Overall, this unit showed promise but also continues to play sloppy at times. Something was missing on the offensive end on the play calling. Just seemed to lack any real identity or purpose but that could just be because of the freshman QB. Also, couldn't understand why we didn't use our timeouts near the end of BYU's last drive but it didn't matter.

Congrats to BYU. They played sloppy early on but were able to make some good adjustments at half were definately the better team. I'm the eternal optimist but unless this team improves quickly we can very well be 0-4 going into Vandy.

The problem I noticed in the secondary was that we had a soft underbelly that never seem to tighten up. I know it is easy for me to coach from the lazy boy but it sure does get frustrating sometimes. Hopefully we can generate a pass rush this year with less blitz packages and be able to shore up the short middle passes. We also had a nice interception one play on a short middle pass.

I hope we can stop the run next week cause methinks that Auburn will wanna run on us.

I thought the play calling was ok. Tech was in a position to tie the game late in the 4th quarter. Not bad with a freshman QB who had no ground game to support him.

Back