The Hive

gtjacket16

Varsity Lurker
Did we play like we should against Stanford or what? I saw less Defensive Conservation and more going after the HB in the 2-4 Quarters. Props to McWhorter for his coaching ability.
Anyway, i am tryin to setup an account with the hive for the message board and the notice says that you cant register with Hotmail, i cant get a non-free email service. What do I do? Please help ASAP.
Up with the white and gold down with the red and black

puke.gif

I tried for 2 months to get an account at the Hive... the only email I received back was one where the guy told how busy he was... I emailed him again a couple of times and gave up... It seems that he has a pretty high opinion of himself... StingTalk is much better anyway... there seems to be less BS in the threads... more thoughtful posts, this site just seems to be a little more mature... (or is it that I am just getting too old???)

Jacketguy, did u notice how "forced" the posts were the day Gailey was announced? I mean, the ones who felt it necessary to post positively about CG seemed programmed or something. They were not like spontaneous! Even when some suggested that they were disappointed were yelled at. I really was not disappointed or excited. To me, it was sort of "I don't know enough yet." But I withheld posting cause I did not want to be run out of town! And that's bad!

You r right on all pts! IMHO.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

I did notice that Bizzy... concerning the day that Gailey was announced... I think we had the old bell curve... there were some who thought it was terrible, some who thought it was great... but I think that most were like me... just not sure, but hoping... I think on my part, the majority of the problem was/is that I do not follow pro football, but the more that I have learned about Gailey, the more I think he probably will do us well... as with anyone, only time will tell... I agree will Lawbee from another post though, I think the change will do us good... I had even commented to my wife a number of times over the past 18 months that I thought we had peaked under O'Leary... hopefully Gailey can take us up another notch...

In regards to the Hive... I am just thankful that we have this site... I have often used a phrase when coaching managers... "if everyone agrees all the time, it could be terribly good, or terribly bad... we could all be agreeing to march to hell unless someone speaks up".... I think its unfortunate that "freedom of opinion" is not harbored on the Hive... just because I dont agree or like something doesnt mean I dont love my school... hey, getting run out of town on the Hive isnt all that bad... we have StingTalk !!

Can u believe that there is actually a Hiver that lurks in order to take names of what he regards as negative posters. Geez! When I saw that, I felt like grammar school.

Yes, thank heavens we have stingtalk!

bash.gif
bash.gif

This is my first post! I was curious about the Hive and what Jacketguy said earlier- I've sent RR 4 requests over three weeks and I've gotten no replies. Glad to know its not just me. Oh well, I would like to able to post on both some day. I really enjoy the contact with other Jacket fans.

Im not the only new person on this board, well I feel better now. Can any1 tell me where to find a list of Tech Recruit Commitments?
uzi.gif
shocked.gif

In RR's defense, he tries his best not to let the Hive run wild. And by wild, I mean like the Vent. Its not that he has a high opinion of himself, but I think he has a high opinion of Tech and believes all Tech fans and alums represent Tech. His view makes more sense when you have parents of athletes like Nat Dorsey's dad posting on a regular basis.

On the question of email addresses, I think there are a couple of reasons he is strict. One, you can have a million hotmail addresses and get yourself many accounts of message boards. This becomes a nuisance very quickly when one individual start imitating 5 people. Can't you use your ISP email address? That should work fine. Also, by making sure you have a "real" email address, he can email if you needs to do so. For example, a couple years ago, after a loss, I posted a message with some rather harsh language. RR emailed me back saying he edited my message and my account would be killed the next time I use profanity. Honestly, if I hadn't received that message, I probably would have gotten the boot the next day. About him not replying to emails, the guy gets a LOT of requests for accounts and since they aren't processed automatically, it takes time.

About some Hivers keeping track of negative posters, I'm pretty sure its tongue in cheek stuff. They just want posts that can be backed up really. If you accuse somebody of anything, you better have proof and you are going to get blasted, which isn't really a bad thing.

I go through a bunch of message boards everyday, I'm glad the stingtalk provides an alternative. If you guys ever want to see some quality discussions, hope on over the Stanford's bootleg. If you guys think Hivers are nazis, the bootleg will surprise you. Even keel conversation all the way. Quite amazing I think.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gtjacket16:
Im not the only new person on this board, well I feel better now. Can any1 tell me where to find a list of Tech Recruit Commitments?
uzi.gif
shocked.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Click on the button to your left

Recruiting News
it is updated regularly, however b/c of our coaching changes and recruits wavering until the new staff gets on board I do not think anyone is exactly sure who is "committed."

I also encourage new (and old) users to explore the site. The war room allows you to link to all major college boards. The chat room is fully operational and feel free to let yourself in. We are currently working on some more enhancements.

Welcome, newbies!! U will enjoy this board! Why don't u lurk on the Hive awhile to see if it's worth it. I do like to have both! One time I remember after a game, a certain cornerback made a doofus play that lost the game for us, and I posted on the Hive "When in the hell does -- graduate? Seems like he has been killing us for 5 yrs. already!" Luckily, another Hiver suggested that I better not use names or the "secret" police will have me tarred and feathered. That was before I knew better. I e-mailed RR apologizing for using name and it worked out OK. It really is not like good GT fans to bash players, but I was just sick!!

Anyway, if u follow the rules, u'll be alright. But when u really want to let it out, these guys can cope!
wiggle.gif
wiggle.gif

[The post I am referring to has since been deleted by the user]

I feel I need to interject into this thread before it becomes something we want to avoid here. We welcome any discussion that compares us or contrasts us to the Hive. However I know some of you have been unhappy with your treatment at the Hive. This is unfortunate, but please do not engage in Hive bashing here. I like the Hive and I read/post there as time permits. RR does his best and I appreciate that. When it took me a couple of weeks to get access to his board, and he explained it was because he had hundreds of backlogged applications, I decided there was a need for an additional message board to alleviate some of the pressure of having EVERY fan of a D1A school all trying to get heard at ONE message board. I did not start this message board as a competitor to the Hive, nor as a replacement for the Hive. It is what it is. An unofficial message board for Georgia Tech sports. Lets enjoy our time here. Here you can leave the chaos and politics of other boards behind and voice your opinion and read others. As always, we appreciate the time and effort you put forth to make this a thought provoking and informative message board. Thanks to you, we are here to stay.

Admin
eviljacket.jpg

Ditto what JGT just said. The Hive has rules. Don't take offense.

When "rules" prohibit someone from stating the truth then the forum turns into a venue that promotes hidden agendas. I totally agree that student athletes (SA) should not be bashed as they try their best as you and I do every day of our lives.

So here is the question, does the statement "our cornerback jumped his coverage at the end of regulation against Clemson" bash a SA? The answer is NO and any other spin is simply a veil to protect a hidden agenda. I guess it is ok to insert a gremlin flipping someone the bird (which I personally think is trash) but not to state items of fact (not opinion).

I thought our country was founded on freedom of speech. Perhaps I am incorrect.

I'm sure this will get the MacDaddy bounced from StingTalk and that's too bad because I was beginning to enjoy the dialogue on this site.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
blue.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I don't plan on bouncing anyone, but when we start singling out players as "the reason we lost the game", that is crossing the line. This is different than pointing out a mistake. Particular players may make mistakes but no one person causes a loss. While we are on the subject, if I find a post that treads the line, I may edit it but I usually will not delete it. Someone mentioned the Stanford board as being a nice even keel board for discussion.. this is because they delete any post that rocks the boat. I posted there questioning the "pregame band skit", and within 5 mins it was deleted. So the thought police is alive and well there. Nothing makes me madder than to take the time to write a post then see it deleted quickly. So I will try not to do that to anyone here.

Admin

Admin, I have seen plenty of message on the bootleg about the skit, but I don't know what you said exactly in your message. While you may be right about them pulling posts, the quality of threads is extremely high.

The point is that when a board gets popular, the people who run the board have to make a decision: either let anyone post nearly whatever they want or try to have some sense of control. If you have a large number of fans, the board will become similar to the Vent if you don't control it. If you do control it, you are going to have some people who will be annoyed at something or another.

I think you make a good point Jimbo... as well as the Administrator... but I can only go on my personal experiences as posted earlier... those are not made up.. . they are fact... also, I agree, we shouldnt single guys out for losing games etc... I know games are not lost that way... (thats why there are 60 minutes).... I do not believe there is a place in college sports for booing athletes, or trashing them on a board, but, I do not see anything wrong with stating the facts... example.. did Burns lose the Maryland game for us, no! Did he make a mistake by staying inbounds, yes... but I have also made that mistake myself, (fatigue will make you do funny things sometimes)... I think everyone was disappointed with that play and the ensuing fumble in overtime... those are events that happened, but maybe better tackling, better play selection, better discipline concering penalties could have won that game for us... my point is (then I will get off this soapbox) there is a difference in trashing a youngster, and stating the fact.. also, I think anyone who has played the game of football knows that sometimes the ball just bounces a certain way... (Give South Carolina an inch on a field goal and they beat Ohio State !!)

Or take away an inch and Iowa State loses to Alabama. Your point is good.

For the most part, the Hive seems pretty good-humored; still, RR needs to get some administrative help. It's irritating to have to lurk for weeks.

I mentioned the unmentionable, Bill Lewis, on another thread, but I'm curious: why was he such a failure at GT? What did he do wrong (besides losing)?

I am not interested in being controversial, just curious.

I am not sure concerning Bill Lewis... it just seemed that he never really got a grip on the team... I think the talent base had eroded a bit at the end of Ross's tenure... and the 92 class was a transitional recruiting year ... it seemed to me that the team just spiraled after the FSU loss, and Lewis just couldnt bring them back... as you know, sometimes a place just is not a fit for a person... his tenure reminded me alot of Fulchers... just never seemed to get on track

Lewis lost grip of his players in a big way. The 1994 team was split...as Lewis brought in Lugenbill to be the starting QB. Most of the players wanted Donnie Davis. So, threats and things of that nature were secretly sent to Lugenbill by some of the players. It might have been a racial thing. I'm not sure. Whatever the cause, there was no TEAM under Lewis.
It was one of the darkest moments in Tech history and I'm glad GOL took over and saved the program.

Back