The key to recruiting is 'stacking up' the classes

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
The key to recruiting is \'stacking up\' the classes

FSU did not make a 14 yr run in the Top5 by meandering around with recruiting classes. They stacked an excellent class on top of excellent classes. Miami got hurt in the mid 90s when they had 2 or more down classes & wound up not making a Bowl, but since they've started stacking excellent classes together they've made serious runs at the nat'l championship. Virginia & NC St are now stacking very good to excellent classes together & will be tough to beat in '04,'05. NCar's very good class won't help much UNLESS they stack another very good one on top next yr, then they'll start to move. Clem's stacked poor classes together & are falling fast.
GT made serious upward strides when O'L started stacking SOLID class onto solid class. Tech became a solid team with fewer shortcomings. We had to stack a class of Smith, Fox & Holiday onto Wimbush, Brown & Johnson before we got solid LBing.
One bad class sandwiched between 3 very good classes won't hurt much, & 1 very good class sandwiched between 3 bad classes won't help much. What u're stacking up will determine what u are in 3-4 yrs, not the following yr, but down the road. '03 & '04 will pretty much wrap up what O'L had stacked up for us, then Gailey's classes will start taking over.
Can Gailey's classes keep us humming in '04.'05,'06? The recruiting experts say we'll fight for a very minor Bowl being 5th,6th,7th in the ACC in recruiting for 2 yrs now. GT has now 'stacked up' 2 almost solid classes together. The extremely criticle key will be next yr's recruits. If it's the same, rest assured that 5th is the best we'll do in '04,'05,'06. If it's better, we may fight Vir & St, if it's worse, we'll fight WF & Clem.

Re: The key to recruiting is \'stacking up\' the classes

Ace, I always appreciate all your input and this is no exception. There are 3 additional (I believe) ingredients that we had during those years that completed the picture: Ralph F., Joe Hamilton, and G.Godsey. I think if we have some stars(QB,RB,CB) to blossom during the next 1-4 years and an outstanding OC, plus an upgrade in S&C, to go along with all the rest that comprises GT football, we will be pleasantly surprised and greatly fired up.

Back