The Main Way We Evaluate The Football Progam...

SouthGa

Varsity Lurker
is how competitive we are with UGA. Face it, us Tech fans look at the number of wins we have during the season as compared to UGA, what kind of bowl we go to compared to UGA, and of course if we beat UGA. To be honest with you, our progam is not on the same field with UGA and unless UGA just has a terrible game against us next year, they'll beat us 3 TD's. The biggest difference in our progams is the depth on the offensive and defensive line of scrimmage. I predict we'll be fairly competitive early in the season but by the time the 12th game rolls around, our lack of depth will show out like a sore thumb. Fortunately it does not take but one or two good recruiting seasons to turn this around so we will just have to wait and see if Gailey can attract quality lineman. I don't think he'll have any problem getting skilled players because they are a dime a dozen but most games are won in the trenches, ask Steve Spurrier.

Honestly, speaking for myself here, I could care less what UGA does. I don't compare GT to UGA. I do care how we perform on the field against them forsure!

If you don't feel we'll be better at OL and DL this year than last, that's your opinion. YOu didn't make that statement I realize. You sure made it sound like we don't have a chance. GA is going to miss a number of guys from both sides of their lines. People leaving for draft and 5 starters that were seniors on OL.

We will have more depth this year than last on both sides of our line. Should anyway. Something that can't be seen is injuries. No team in college football can sustain a huge number of injuries at any one position.

Go Jackets!

How did we beat them three straight years under Freidgen with less material than UGA recruits?

rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
How did we beat them three straight years under Freidgen with less material than UGA recruits?

rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">AHHH you ask a question that makes a great point!

Go Jackets!

Add me to the list that does not compare us to ugag.

I could not care less what we do relative to them. I certainly want to beath them every November, but outside of that it doesn't matter.

I love the rivalry, but to this day I can not comprehend why GT fans have such an obsession with everything conecerning ugag.

Don't worry, we will beatem some more. Clem's son almost beatem last season, as did Auburn and Soucalina.

Originally posted by mustard:
Clem's son almost beatem last season, as did Auburn and Soucalina.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Clemson misses two fourth quarter field goals to basically let ugag beat them. Auburn had them beat until a 4th down miracle....and ugag didn't even score an offensive TD against South Carolina and still won.

Of course after preparing for the game since February (to use Chan's words), we get beat by a historical score of 51-7 in a game that was nowhere near that close. No question ugag could have beaten us 100-7 if they had been so inclined.

I guess Chan owes Mark Richt for calling off the dawgs and keeping the game close.

Contrast this to one year earlier when this same ugag team scored EXACTLY one offensive TD against Roof's defense, and TECH had the ball with a chance to take the lead in the 4th quarter.

I liked it a lot better when Coach O'leary's teams were kicking ugag's arse and all the dawgs hated O'leary; as opposed to now when all the dawgs just love our coach and want us to keep him forever.

My, how times have changed.

I understand evaluating the program by looking at UGA. But if they're our benchmark, then we miss out on the greater picture. We are a member of the ACC, and we need to do more WRT winning our conference and beating our conference brethren. Outside of FSU, we've held our own with everyone over the years. But we've only had 2 titles to show for it(only one undisputed title).

My 2 goals every year are this:
1) Win the ACC and go to the BCS
2) Beat UGA

I want to beat UGA as badly as the next guy. But I also want to win the ACC.

BeeWare, we just proved statistically O'Leary never beat UGA (0-4) without Friegden. So your bucket holds no water.

wink.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
we just proved stastically....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ahso,
...stastically??

Did you mean you proved it spastically?

I thought so.
tongue.gif

Okay BeeWare, I was careless, but have now corrected my spelling error. I corrected my error, have you plugged the holes in your bucket?

wink.gif

Inquiry to anyone: In our national championship year '90 (I think), who was our OC under Ross?

Originally posted by mustard:
Inquiry to anyone: In our national championship year '90 (I think), who was our OC under Ross?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">mustard,
The Fridge was our offensive coordinator.

So according to ahso's illogical way of looking at things, Ross must get 0% credit and Fridge must get 100% credit for the national title.
shocked.gif

This is all so relative. Head coaches are ultimately decision makers in who their assistants are. Their decision making in that regard is pertinent to the overall program and its success. We can look at Coach Ross and say he was 'right on' in bringing in O'Leary, Friedgen and down the line. They were successful in their goal for bringing Tech back to national prominence.

When Coach O'Leary came back he did the same thing, he brought Coach Friedgen, Coach Edsall, Coach Marone, Coach MacWhorter, Coach Kelly ... good choices for the program. They ALL had to work to make us compete and be successful. It worked and we were.

It seems as though Coach O'Leary made some wise decisions when our WRs coach went to LSU and he brought in David Kelly. It seems as though he made the right decision when our offensive line coach Doug Marone went to UGAG and he brought in Mac. Even Coach Friedgen marveled at Mac's success with the OLine.

Yes he made Coach O'Brien OC but with Coach Friedgen's input because O'Leary liked promoting from within. He might have elevated O'Brien and Roof a little early in their careers and that's why the dropoff but overall in his tenure here ... he made some VERY WISE decisions in who his assistants would be.

I remember thinking back in the Dooley days at UGAG - I looked at his assistants and they were 90% of his success. I think Richt is doing the same, no reason why we can't if the right decisions are made!

However you look at any of our previous coaches, you must take a look at who they chose for their assistants it is VERY RELATIVE to any team's success.

BeeWare, I am just agreeing with you about the FF (Fridge Factor) in another post.

wink.gif

SouthGA, if ugag beats us by 3 TD's after what they have lost and we have returning, then a LOT more than just the coaches will have to be addressed, or the program will cease to be D-1. THWG

BW, I think that ahso is right. Fridge is common to all success. O'L has both success and slide to oblivian (sp?). O'B is common to both the O'L debacle and this past year's slide. Ross had no terrible slide. Now, we lost Fridge, Ross, and O'L. What has to be the verdict on O'B?

One of the best eras of Dodd football, was when Frank Broyles was the offensive coordinator and Ray Graves was the defensive coordinator.

Of course Broyles went on to become the head coach at Arkansas, and Graves became the head coach at Florida.

If I remember correctly, Ray Graves and Florida beat GT in the bowl game in his last game at Florida. Graves won the bowl game, had a 10-1 record for the season and was replaced as head coach the next week.

I believe this to be true. Maybe some of the old timers can affirm this about Graves last game and record of the year, or maybe set me straight if I am wrong.

wink.gif

After reading MsTechAnalysis’ post, I was reminded of a couple of quotes.

“No head coach can be better than his staff. Show me a winning team, and I’ll show you a good group of assistant coaches.” Johnny Majors

“You have to listen to your assistant coaches. They’re young and aggressive and always looking for a way to improve.” Bobby Dodd

The next one I can not remember word for word or who said it. But the just of the quote was for HC to find assistant coaches, that will become HC or will replace you on the day you leave the school. Remember what Will Alexander did? He hired a kid out of Tennessee.

Back