The Measure of CCG's success.......

FreeBee

Varsity Lurker
The Measure of CCG\'s success.......

will be determined by several events in the upcoming weeks and months:

1. How well the Jackets are prepared to handle a Duke team at Durham, that will likely be emotional, given Ted Roof's circumstances.

2. Handling success was a considerable problem earlier this season. To beat both Duke away and North Carolina at home without suffering a cardiac arrest would suggest Chan is getting his charges into a mature mindset to consistently TCB, no matter which uniform is on the other side of the LOS. There is just no excuse for the team to "come out flat" against anybody.

3. Maintaining good team chemistry through the full season without having the team lay down emotionally will be a sign that last season was an aberration and that Chan is in control of his team's collective psyche.

4. How competitively we recruit, both Georgia and elsewhere, is especially important, given our critical needs for certain positions. Certainly the indications are good, given this season's unexpected success and a likely bowl bid. It will be important for CCG to "close" on several key recruits whose names on the dotted line will show that CCG can recruit with the best of them.

5. Beyond TCB with Duke and UNC, beating either the Snobs and/or Dawgs will GREATLY improve the measure of CCG's success. IMO, we most certainly can beat either team if we stay healthy and focused. OTOH, getting blasted will hurt him proportionately.

6. In the months leading up to next season, it will be crucial for CCG to work hard to control the academic support system for his team to help ensure all SA's are being monitored for attending their classes, passing tests and not missing their tutoring sessions.

My understanding of Flunkgate is that CCG dropped the ball and stopped the close monitoring that O'Leary had learned from Bobby Ross. IMO, CCG seriously misjudged the challenges that SA's face at schools like GT and I think he was largely responsible for the academic implosion by dropping the close monitoring of his players. As HC, he should be controlling the academic environment. At GT, even if you want to be a "Players' HC, you still need to monitor academics like a hawk because its just too easy, even for good kids, to fall off the academic wagon. How well we can minimize further academic fallout in the next 9 months will largely be a reflection on CCG's success.

I want very badly for CCG to fully establish himself and succeed at GT for many years to come. In the coming weeks and months, he's in a position now to truly establish himself in the eyes of the Tech community and the rest of the CF world.

Re: The Measure of CCG\'s success.......

Originally posted by FreeBee:
[QB

My understanding of Flunkgate is that CCG dropped the ball and stopped the close monitoring that O'Leary had learned from Bobby Ross. IMO, CCG seriously misjudged the challenges that SA's face at schools like GT and I think he was largely responsible for the academic implosion by dropping the close monitoring of his players. As HC, he should be controlling the academic environment. At GT, even if you want to be a "Players' HC, you still need to monitor academics like a hawk because its just too easy, even for good kids, to fall off the academic wagon. How well we can minimize further academic fallout in the next 9 months will largely be a reflection on CCG's success.

I want very badly for CCG to fully establish himself and succeed at GT for many years to come. In the coming weeks and months, he's in a position now to truly establish himself in the eyes of the Tech community and the rest of the CF world.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Just to clarify onr thing (Dave the great) when he hired Chan He told him to leave monitoring sa to the ones he had designated to do so and Chan did what he was told to do and that is why we had flunkgate.So you can't blame Chan for doing as his boss said he was to do. It was Dave's fault and those he had in gharge of sa progress.

Good Post Freebee, I agree with most except comments about the academics. I think there was a lot more going on than Chan not supervising. Without going into detail all the facts are not out and it is unfair to put blame on CCG at least all of it. When your hands are tied there is not a lot you can do unless ultimatums are made. Enough about that though. Very proud of men on Thursday but it will be meaningless unless we take care of the next step in the ladder.

I would also like to amplify the comments about Chan's supposed lack of vigilance in Flunkgate.

Late in O'Leary's tenure several players had had it with O'Leary's constant carping about academics. This was one of the reasons the team began to quit on O'Leary.

However, there is certainly a need for someone to act as the hammer and keep the kids studying hard. Braine attempted (wisely I think) to take that duty away from the head coach and give it to someone else. This way the players would not be frustrated with the coaches over this and hopefully give the coach more effort.

The basic reason the first attempt at this failed and led to Flunkgate was that the person who was to monitor the player's progress clearly felt that the player's should take the lead in getting help. In reality the position requires a person who is willing to get in player's faces if necessary to get them to study. Hopefully we have such a person in place now.

Just to summarize, Chan was specifically told by his boss NOT TO worry about the player's academics and that that would be some other person's responsibility.

Mood, your post makes great sense to me. I hadn't considered the notion that the problem got its start because of GOL's pounding on the players about school, leading to bad attitudes on the field.

Looking at it this way, it makes sense why dandy dave took away classroom monitoring from CG's job description. This was to be Carol Moore's responsibility, right? Hopefully, her replacement can pull it off.

Great post Mood. It sounds like you have been on the inside of this mess.

Well said MOOD! There is one person out there who I would hire in a second to make sure this never happens again, when he was there he had the respect of the players but moreso he had the respect of the professors seeing how important it was to graduate our athlete's.

Originally posted by refrigeratormover:
Well said MOOD! There is one person out there who I would hire in a second to make sure this never happens again, when he was there he had the respect of the players but moreso he had the respect of the professors seeing how important it was to graduate our athlete's.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hey JD, who would you want in that position? Isn't Col Stephens there now? Isn't that the position you're talkin about? I just thought that everything I've heard about him is that he would be perfect for the job.. Excuse me, but I don't have any idea on how any of this works at GT, as I didn't attend GT. Thanks..

Food for thought for everyone that thinks it was a result of George O'Leary riding herd on players that prevented mass failures.

There have not been mass failures under any coach in any sport in the history of Georgia Tech. That is from Whack Hyder, Dwayne Morrison, Bobby Cremins to Pepper Rodgers, Bill Lewis, Bill Curry, Bobby Ross, etc.

So I am a little bothered that no one has made that point. A little history on the matter is that Dr. Rice arrived and being the visionary, made it a priority that athletes not only stay eligible, they graduate. He looked on the horizon and realized that graduation rates would become important. The thing that gets under my skin is that not only did we have flunkgate under the watch of CDB, but that overall graduation rates continue to go down under the watchful eye of CDB. Go to the NCAA site and pull up the reports if you doubt this information. Flunkgate was simply a symptom of CDB's mismanagement and lack of understanding of Georgia Tech. I do support the work of Col. Stevens, but where is the commitment to lives of the 10 SA's that were dropped from school? I have spoken with many of the young men, and it is truly atrocious how the whole situation was handled.

I find it ironic that the people responsible for the fiasco are still employed and the players are portrayed as "irresponsible" for missing class.

Where are the results of the Academic Task Force that was assembled at the onset of this debacle?

GT, I was talking about a former student there who I thought did a tremendous job for the players well being. I am not attacking Col. Stevens as I am assured he is doing a great job. Like General Wood said it's time to look after these kids and help them finish their job from the start. Yes, it is about winning but it's also about these kids and the road they will have with a GT degree.

FreeBee, agree on many of your points. This year has shown marked improvement in a number of areas by CG and how we finish will of course determine how much overall improvement. Per a number of posts however, your understanding of the academic situation last year is flawed. Hopefully with the changes made we have gone full circle and returned to a model that we know works.

Agree, Free, Gailey's 'season' still has a ways to play out, but he does appear to be learning everyday & not repeating mistakes. He seems to be graping this college game.
Also, agree that ANY Head Coach of ANY team not taking responsibility for his players academics, as he promised the parents he would, is atrocious. To believe someone else, not directly connected to your control, that they are watching your kids academic progress 'for' you is very, very DUMB.
Coach G does appear to have learned from his mistakes, tho, & doesn't appear to be repeating any of them.

Originally posted by FreeBee:
[QB]

[QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">"Your understanding of Flunkgate" is completely wrong in EVERY account you gave.

Originally posted by refrigeratormover:
GT, I was talking about a former student there who I thought did a tremendous job for the players well being. I am not attacking Col. Stevens as I am assured he is doing a great job. Like General Wood said it's time to look after these kids and help them finish their job from the start. Yes, it is about winning but it's also about these kids and the road they will have with a GT degree.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Sorry if it sounded like I was attacking you for asking about Col Stephens's position. I wasn't at all, just asking questions. Thanks for the reply.
I totally agree with you about the kids getting the help that is needed so they can get their degree. I'm proud of everyone of them that do! Greg Gathers told me that he got his back in May and I thought that was GREAT to hear from him!

BOR,
If CG wasn't ultimately to blame,who was?Now lets skip the kids responsibility which may be unrealistic but lets do that anyway.
If I were the coach I can guarantee you that I would have say about following my players availability to play due to academics since having them on the field just might have a little to do with my won/loss record.(not to mention the graduation rate).
The exact scenario of responsibility might not be as originally described but there are no asterisks next to the won/loss record saying*-it would have been better but SOMEONE screwed up and allowed 9 of my players to flunk out.AND CG certainly didn't take less money by saying-"since you are covering that aspect of my program I won't need as much."
But I do believe daBraine is the culprit here mostly and the prime cause..

Back