The Option

buffydores

Varsity Lurker
Buzz4Him brought up something interesting. He mentioned the problems you had with Syracuse's option. We do have a coach that likes to use the option to keep people honest. We also have two QBs who can flat out hustle. What were your defensive breakdowns against Syracuse?

That was a joke statement. They rushed 26 times for 59 yards. We held Syracuse to 7 points. Don't know how many people consider that a problem.

If you haven't read ESPN, our linebackers are the top-rated in the country. I wouldn't try an option on them too many times.

Interesting question. Nice to have some real football talk.
grin.gif

I don't think we had much trouble with the option at all last year. I don't think we should this year, as we have a very athletic set of OLB's and DE's, and they go against a pretty solid option attack in practice themselves.

Syracuse had 59 yards rushing, 242 yards of total offense, and seven points. Their QB's had 11 carries for 6 yards. Not a bad game against a team that went 10-3 and spanked Auburn.

However they started Troy Nunes at QB, and he is not a huge option threat though they did run the option with him perhaps a half-dozen times.

We did get eaten for lunch by Clemson's Woody Dantzler, but that was mostly running out of the spread on broken plays and draws. We controlled him just fine until the MLB who had been given the job of shadowing Dantzler got hurt and left the game. That happened with a minute or two left in the first half. The backup MLB (actually he may have been third-string) was not athletic enough to do the job, and our coaches failed to adjust for that.

I'm also not too concerned about an option attack.

What concerns me more is play action passes in the short zone. Anything where the LB has to cover or underneath stuff and happens quick. We've struggled with this stuff it seems.

If I were Vandy, however, I would be concerned about the option because it will be back, baby!!

Culb is speaking truth Dores. I was leading you astray about the option. One of the hardest hits I have ever witnessed came last year in the 'Cuse game when their QB ran the option.

I think it was Chris Young came across and almost took the kid's head off-literally. The announcer said something like "Oh my Gosh! He just got knocked into next week" or something like that. I guess the reason we are so good at defending it is due to practicing against it so much with Joe Ham. and Godsey.

But you are correct in that your new coach likes to run the option too. Or at least he did at his old school. Ga. Southern won championships running it, I think they called it the Hamm-bone after Tracy Hamm, but it seemed that the other 1-AA schools picked up on it too.

The real truth is the other post about the interior D-line being our weak link. I hope that will change this year though.

In all honesty Buzz4him was messing with you.
wink.gif

Here are the stats for that game against Syracuse:

58 plays for 242 yards total for Syracuse.
26 plays for 59 yards rushing for Syracuse.(2.27 ypc)
183 yards passing for Syracuse on 15 of 26 passes.

Final score GT 13 Syracuse 7

Last year, as in all the past years of an O'Leary defense, we have had little trouble stopping the run. It has always been the passing game that has hurt Tech with the O'Leary defense.

Since we have a new head coach and a new defensive coordinator, it would only be speculation as to our effectiveness against the option. Tenuta has a reputation as an excellent defensive coach, but I have not heard any remarks about his prowess against the option.

We will find out in a few weeks.

wink.gif

Buffy,

I hope you do run the option. If that's the offense you bring, we'll stuff it, IMO.

CY's hit on that guy might have been the hardest hit I've ever seen. He blasted that kid. Good thing Cory Collins is a head hunter too. I don't think the option will be a problem. Our weakness has always been pass defense, but Tenuta might be the man to fix it.

IT'S NEARLY HERE!!!!

The bottom line is, your defense is not perfect (Vandy's could not be described as adequate currently). I think the first couple of games, your past strengths will still be your current strengths. Likewise, your weaknesses will still be there until Tenuta has a little time to fix bad habits. I'm currently thinking we need to attack your corners. Focus on pass protection. Take opportunities in the middle if your guys start sinking back to help out your corners. Throw a couple of run plays to keep you awake. Pray that our QB gets hot and our receivers can catch.

Well BD you seem to play well against Bama and then slip up on the others but Tech is not Bama who always or it seems always plays weak the 1st few weeks of the season here again we are not Bama (thank god)

bash.gif

Is Vandy running the Delaware Wing T like the coach used at GSU? Its a good misdirection and option offense, but not very good for passing sets except play action.

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
Well BD you seem to play well against Bama and then slip up on the others but Tech is not Bama who always or it seems always plays weak the 1st few weeks of the season here again we are not Bama (thank god)
bash.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">In recent seasons we didn't play so well in early home games against Boston College (back when they were 3-8 every year) and Central Florida.

Who knows how we'll start this year? Completely new staff. Could start sluggish, could start as world beaters.

I'd rather start sluggish and finish strong if I have to choose one of the recent patterns!
grin.gif

Some people are mixing up their Johnsons. We have Bobby Johnson of Furman. The same Furman that beat GSU in the semis last year coached by Paul Johnson. Who is know coach of Navy, where he used to be the offensive coordinator.

Originally posted by buffydores:
Some people are mixing up their Johnsons.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Isn't that still illegal in Georgia?

Back