The Patriots: A deflating story

[y]MD24ohr4qPQ[/y]

how did none of you post this yet?

some gems from Brady:
"to me they're perfect, i don't want anybody touching the balls after that, i don't want anyone rubbing them.."
"i wouldn't want anyone touching those, i would zip those balls up, lock'em away"
"some guys like'em thin, some guys like'em tacky, some guys like'em brand new, some guys like old balls.. i mean they're all different"

not in this video:
"this isn't the isis, noone's dying."

man-hit-hammer-4463275.jpg

[y]MD24ohr4qPQ[/y]

how did none of you post this yet?

some gems from Brady:
"to me they're perfect, i don't want anybody touching the balls after that, i don't want anyone rubbing them.."
"i wouldn't want anyone touching those, i would zip those balls up, lock'em away"
"some guys like'em thin, some guys like'em tacky, some guys like'em brand new, some guys like old balls.. i mean they're all different"

not in this video:
"this isn't the isis, noone's dying."

Some balls are held for charity and some for fancy dress, but the balls that are held for pleasure are the ones I like best.

Belichick says they simulated the ball prep, and rubbing the ball raises the pressure, then cold game environment decreases it. That's what caused them to be deflated. Got rubbed to a high psi indoors, then psi dropped outdoors.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/-bill-...--dares-nfl-to-prove-him-wrong-225504102.html

Plausible.

That they have been able to repeat this deflation means that it has likely been happening all these years in similar conditions. It seems like it didn't happen to Colts' footballs though, so something specific to Patriots prep.

Belichick says they simulated the ball prep, and rubbing the ball raises the pressure, then cold game environment decreases it. That's what caused them to be deflated. Got rubbed to a high psi indoors, then psi dropped outdoors.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/-bill-...--dares-nfl-to-prove-him-wrong-225504102.html

Plausible.

That they have been able to repeat this deflation means that it has likely been happening all these years in similar conditions. It seems like it didn't happen to Colts' footballs though, so something specific to Patriots prep.

This seems very plausible. It would basically mean they were knowingly getting the ball to Brady's (or the running backs') liking, without technically breaking the rules...which is kind of what they're known for.

Also, I didn't realize that Spygate consisted only of them videotaping the opponent's sideline during an actual game. I understand that it was against the rules and had been reiterated as a point of emphasis by the NFL, but it seems a lot less nefarious than videotaping practice. I kind of assumed everyone had videotapes of the opponent's sideline during games.

EDIT: Bill Nye disagrees, but he didn't do any experiments. Some think tank in Pittsburgh did experiments and agrees with Belichick. http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...lichick-doesnt-make-any-sense-in-explanation/

I still can't get past how many times officials must have handled those footballs, and noticed nothing. :squint:

Plausible.

It seems plausible, except for that stupid ball that didn't understand PV=nRT. They ought to kick that fully inflated ball for being so dumb.

So, they need to change the rule to read "inspect prior and after" and then the ballboys have to help keep balls properly inflated during temperature changes

So, they need to change the rule to read "inspect prior and after" and then the ballboys have to help keep balls properly inflated during temperature changes

Or just leave it as is because no one really cares other than the media looking to drum up something for Super Bowl week and people who feel animosity towards the Patriots wanting to hold this up as proof positive of them being dishonest and/or dirty.

What I'm really rooting for is for the Patriots to get docked draft picks, then have the ruling overturned via appeal. It would just be the most appropriate ending to Goodell's season.

Either that or for Goodell to suspend Belichick for the Super Bowl and everybody to lose their minds.

Have any current or past QB/WRs said this makes any big difference?

Have any current or past QB/WRs said this makes any big difference?

This is the question I'd like to hear answered by current/former players. I find it hard to believe that this makes much of a difference regardless. It'd be one thing if the Pats beat the Colts by 2 with Gronk catching the winning TD as time expired between his teeth because the ball was so flat. But they abused them with balls that were apparently slightly underinflated for a yet undetermined reason.

Heard an interview with Jerry Rice on the radio in the bay area. He said it did make a difference.

So, they won 2 of their 3 Super Bowls prior to the 2 psi thingy!? Seems they should pump that bladder back up, huh?

Back