The Portal. Injuries. 3-3-5 Defense. Kicking.

We’re almost always in Zone. We’ve stayed in this Cover 3 double-Cloud almost exclusively since the Clemson game.
It does not seem that we have any corners who can play man defense on a quality wide receiver. This needs to be a recruiting priority right up there with defensive line.

I am rethinking the whole Portal thing. We have missed out on quite a few four star players that not only didn't stand out but flatly rarely played. I definitely see a place for OL coming in this offseason and helping us out and clearly we had two very big successes there. But generally I think we are better off recruiting our own (any position) instead of counting on the portal. If you have seen limited college tape on a player I'd question taking them.

We have plenty of Defensive Ends, NT/DT. And generally we have stopped the running games of many teams. But are we struggling with injuries up front? Meanwhile, is Trey Swilling hurt? Is Tariq Carpenter hurt?

How often are we playing zone defense on passing plays? Clearly a three man rush is not going to work. You have to blitz. See the Ravens. They blitz all the time, it's just a matter of which player(s) is coming. Teams are not throwing screen passes against us, they are not doing the traditional things to counter a strong rush. Their quarterbacks are sitting back and having all day to pick us apart. I know this is repeating others but blitz and play man. Trey Swilling is better than this! Is our problem the fact that we only have four serviceable linebackers and can't get them hurt???

Our special teams is much improved but our XP/FG kicks are way too low and easily blockable. We have been lucky and it was obvious that one or two are going to be blocked (one just was) and it will affect a game outcome if not corrected.

THE PORTAL is a failed process to fill starting holes in P5 football. maybe to build some additional depth, best case. there is a reason why players are on the portal and 98.3% of the time it's because they can't get on the field at XXX university due to....wait for it....either a lack of talent or work ethic. portal is full of 2-3 star failures who are really 1 star athletes. wasting too much time on who or what you get from he portal is a nice off-season endeavor. sorta like watching highlights from 2008, fun for a bit but really won't change anything in 2022.

Back