The problem with our defense!

Jerry the Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Is very simple. We play bend but don't break. After over a decade of that philosophy, our players have bought in to letting the opposition make the play in front of them and tackle them down the field. This has led to a culture of expecting to give up the third and fourth down attempt. In essence they are beat before they take the field. On occassion we do rise up and someone steps up and makes a play.

We have to change this approach. Randy Edsall was the one guy who understood that you have to play offensive defense. You attack and don't give the opponet an inch without exacting a huge painful price.

Until we learn this lesson, we will continue to be mediocre to poor on defense. If you won't to get off the field, take the ball away from the enemy. Don't depend on your offense or special teams or anyone else to save your bacon. You eat the bacon and kick the other guys ass!

Go Jackets!

Nail on Head!!!!! Tenuta is continuing the philosphy of TR, O'L, and the guy now at unc. Cept of course we are breaking with the bend, as witness the FOURTH AND LONG TOUCHDOWN for crying out loud. Our guys are not beeing coached or put in positions to make the play.

That break but bend theory you guys are throwing out there is BULL !!!!

It was plain as day...(The 2 announcers for Espn were smart enough to pick up on that They are both Ex-football players/coaches unlike you 2) I dont mean this as a flame at all.....

It was CRYSTAL CLEAR...Halfway thru the 2nd Quarter our lack of depth on Defense KILLED us in that thin MTN.Air (Thanks to THE LADY/Flunkgate) The rest of the game our Defense was gasping for air...The time of possesion was terribly lopsided in favor of BYU..We cant win any game this year if we keep our defense on the field that long...Kim and Wes also commented on this..Our defense looked fine till right before the end of the 1st half.....

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
(Thanks to THE LADY/Flunkgate)
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I have to hand it to you Black Watch.

You have come up with more excuses for the lack of coaching on our team, than Carter has Little Liver Pills.

Reminds me of that old saying...

"Don't blame you and don't blame me....blame that man behind the tree."

It is going to be a long season. You will have plenty of time to come up with more excuses. No need to work overtime on it now.
tongue.gif

Well Beeware i will hand this to you..Either you didnt watch the same game i did or Wes Did or Kim did Or Mike Gotfrey did or Mark Malone did...With the exception of Wes (And he has watched a LOT of football in his lifetime) everyone mentioned has either coached or played the game..And saw what was CRYSTAL CLEAR...Our Defense stayed in the Game WAY TOO LONG and with all the players missing cannot possible do that ANY game and expect them to hold up...

Of course i think YOU probably Know that like all of these people that definetly know football...But you want something to gripe about..Thats your MO....

We do not play "bend but don't break" defense. I listened carefully to CG and Tenuta last year specifically on this topic and they both repudiated that theory of D.

It seems to be painful to many of us-I don't know why-to acknowledge that BYU played a successful passing game with a good QB, and wore our defense down.

You'd think, the way many of you talk, that we were ranked, favored and playing at home, like Auburn. Or ranked, favored and playing on the road under Ralph Friedgen, the Greatest Football Coach Ever, like Maryland.

Belly...These guys obviously dont know football AT ALL Or just want to gripe...Pick one of the 2 Because there is NO middle ground...

Belly...These guys obviously dont know football AT ALL Or just want to gripe...Pick one of the 2 Because there is NO middle ground...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're correnct, Tenuta plays as aggressive style of defense as I have ever seen at GT. We blitzed probably 30 - 40 percent of the defensive plays on thursday. We don't have the horses right now, that is the problem

Im with Wes Durham..Tenuta is one of the best..He DOES NOT HAVE THE HORSES...Its plain and simple...

Im with Wes Durham..Tenuta is one of the best..He DOES NOT HAVE THE HORSES...Its plain and simple...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">So why did we hire the most expesnsice assistant coach if we didn't have the horses, and he doesn't have the brains to over come the lack of them?

Who is to blame, and why aren't you calling for his head?

Do you accpect failure, or would you like to come up with a new excuse?

It seems to be painful to many of us-I don't know why-to acknowledge that BYU played a successful passing game with a good QB, and wore our defense down.

A succesful passing game is when you make many different passes, on different routes, and hitting different players.

C'mon Belly, you can't be serious. What is the excuse for the first drive after the half?

I give full credit to BYU, they kept attacking the same weak spots that we had. Are we just that bad? Can we make adjustments?

Horses? Smith? Fox? Henderson? Parker? Wilkerson? Houston? Butler? Landry? Scott? How many horses do we need to not play soft on D? I'm not anticipating the Steel Curtain taking the field for us any time in the near future.

I liked the attitude I saw from the Db's. Trying to lay people out with every hit is nice to see.
drinking.gif

The D is simply "Braine Damaged". Add Hargrove,Malone,McNair,& Pullen to this group and you'd see a world of difference. Imagine Henderson & Hargrove rushing the passer together! Then add Hollings,Sampson, and Bridges, and you have a 9-3 or 8-4 team. THWG

Jerry, great memory - the year we got away fro bend dont break and had a huge positive turnover margin.

Do you think Edsall will be sought as a HC at Tech during the next search?

I think the wustest thing aboot our defense the other night was the blitz. As someone mentioned earlier, we were too aggressive.

Reminded me of a good, smart boxer out-thinking an overly aggressive opponent. Jimmy Young used to box that way. Buster Douglas did in his match with Tyson. Counter punch. Use your opponent's aggession to your advantage. Very smart.

Oh, and the turnover thing, well...

My point is that it is up to the defense to get off the field. When you look at time of possession and lack of offensive production and turnovers it certainly gives the defense lots of opportunities to make excuses. The fact is that great defenses don't make excuses. They stuff their opponent and take the ball away from them ala the 1985 Chicago Bears.

If you watched the Georgia or Auburn games yesterday, you saw 2 defenses, UGA and USC that made things happen. They were imposing their will on Clemson and Auburn. No doubt they have more talent than we do but they play to win and don't play hoping not to lose by too much. I think we need to adopt that attitude and see where the chips fall. It beats the hell out of watching our defense slowly bleed to death week after week.

Go Jackets!

looks like uconn team of randy edsall did pretty good yesterday, he may be among the ones considered for the job at the flats at the end of this season.

Please forgive BeeWare he's just being his usual self . And as usual he's putting mouth in motion before engaging brain. He's been on one mission for over a year now and it's not changed he does not realize that people are sick of the same crap out of him day after day after day.

Back