The problem with waiting 3-5 years...

gtfan...just curious...what has changed so much this year that you are certain we wouldn't lose to Ugag like Clemson did this year??? Do you remember last year's score? They hung 51 points on us...and there doesn't appear to be much of a talent shift on either side at this point.

just curious as to what you see that I don't.

Originally posted by Gray Ghost:

For those of you trashing Barnhart, you're out of your minds. No, he's not perfect, but he's got every SEC, ACC coach and AD on his speed dial and talks to more people weekly about this topic than anyone. Tony Barnhart knows more about the business of college football and the relationships that drive the business than all of us put together.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks for stopping by Mr. Barnyard. Come back and see us again real soon...

i have seen many "sky is falling" threads. this one takes the cake.

reminds me of chief vitalstatistix for anyone who has read Asterix and the Gauls.

Vitalstatistix (also: Majestix or Abraracourcix) is the chief of the invincible Gauls. Majestic, brave and hot-tempered, the old warrior is respected by his men and feared by his enemies. The chief reigns with calmness and authority. The only thing Vitalstatistix fears, is the sky falling down on his head.

abraras8.gif

call barnhart thursday night and ask him what are the chances that a playoff system will be implemented. then ask him what are the chances that Georgia Tech will be left out. take the two and multiply them. that will give you the chances according to barnhart that both the playoffs will be implemented and tech will be left out. we'll discuss this then.

here's what i think are the chances that a playoff will be implemented: 0.5 (at most 50%)
here's what i think are the chances that tech will be left out: 0.05 (based on the fact that 64 teams get chosen and 2 teams from ACC are left out)

we get chances of both of the above happening = 0.025.

and i have been way way way too conservative in my crazy lil back of the envelope calculation

I'm all for strategic planning myself! Like how I've prepared since I was a child for that swarm of killer bees heading up from Mexico. Do not discount the effects of killer bees!

wink.gif

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by kirbee:
[
We have a game against a nationally ranked opponent this weekend in our brand new expanded stadium. We are a manageable underdog according to the spread -- so we have a chance. Seems like this would be the thing to focus on instead of something that may or may not happen in 5 or 10 years.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's great. Focus on the Auburn game. We need to have a tactical focus each week. Not, however, at the expense of our strategic direction. It was exactly this type of small picture approach that cost us 10 players to academics.

If we keep our head in the sand and don't focus on behaviors that position us to be in the top tier, we'll get what we deserve.

Don't discount the effect of title IX. Call Barnhart Thursday night and ask him if we're going to see a playoff. The answer is likely yes, and sooner than you think. And the reason is money. None of the conferences/bowls/BCS can afford to pay the bill being handed to them by the courts in the form of Title IX. Also, the non-BCS conferences are weighing legal action against the BCS that will be big and ugly.

In none of these posts have I suggested that:

A) We have the wrong coach
B) We can't win football games
C) Our program is dead
D) We won't survive a move to a playoff system

I'm merely playing the "what if?" game. And the if is becoming a stronger possibility each year. It will not come because the people running college football (BCS) want a playoff. It will come because mounting legal bills and rulings will force it.[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I believe you are correct and there will be a playoff - should have been one a long time ago. This is a money game and money/revenues will determine this outcome. Tony Barnhart does have his pulse on this matter and I have heard him more then once say this will come to pass. He even mentioned it again about a month ago. Money and revenues were the topic of his "why" it will happen.

I appreciate your informative insight and it's an eye opener for some who do not want to face the big picture - being left out in the cold! I don't care what anyone thinks - these scenarios will affect GT football if this program does not move to better its status soon. Short term disability but long term disability is not an option here.

Coach Gailey needs to be given 4 to 5 years just as Ross was given..RIGHT NOW he is our BEST option of getting out of the hole we are in..

BOR made a great post on THe hive and on here to this effect a few days ago..trying to remove him this year would be disastrous for our program...He IS a PROVEN WINNER...It will take time to get out from under the Flunk Gate fiasco..If Coach Gailey were removed now(And much to the chagrin of the FEW anti-Chan Posters on this Board HE WONT BE) Our chances of getting a better HC would be slim to none..and Slim just walked out the door last Spring with FLUNK GATE.....

Originally posted by LLCoolJacket:
If this scenario ever comes as written, leaving Tech out would be the same as leaving Oklahoma out in their pre Stoops era. Does everyone recall how bad they were after Switzer?

Even with the tough year that this season looks to be, the sky is not falling on this program.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LLCool: Good example, but for those newcomers to college football - remembering the OK hayday is just that a memory. Ok wallowed until Swoops arrived a few years ago and the new kids following college football didn't even know they had a great past history. They got lost in the shuffle and that's what will happen here under the Gray Ghost scenario.

Money will drive this bus and unless you are leading the pack with a winning program that's being noticed and in the limelight - you will not make the cut. I believe that. College football, Div. 1 IS a business. We just went through the first faze of that business in the ACC - expansion. All about money and revenues and making a buck. All about championship game revenues and making more money.

Somebody needs to put a plan together for the long haul!

GT has been a major player in both NCAA academics and athletics for my lifetime and longer, including the not so fantastic post Dodd years. Why is it that GT will fall off the map if Gailey stays (or leaves)? A lot of you people seem to have entirely too much idle time on your hands worrying about what if and maybe. If you want a quick fix call D Rumsfeld etal and then complain about what does or doesn't work. I'm willing to go with what we have and hope for the best.

Like the man said, "You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friends nose."

Ramblin-

I'll put Barnhart's weekly trips to college football hotspots, daily conversations with coaches and ADs, weekly radio shows and TV appearances and multiples newspaper columns up against your 945 posts any day of the week.

What's next, your 313 yard day in mighty-mite football makes you better than Deuce McAllister?

You may not like what Barnhart has to say, but I doubt he's got much time to worry about your opinion. He's busy reporting on the issues that change college football. You're busy doing....

Gray Ghost: It's that "rosy colored glass mentality" that's making these fans unable to see the BIG PICTURE!

If they can't see the problems staring us in the face as we speak - how can they possibly look into the future?

Thank you again for bringing this information to the forefront - IT'S VERY IMPORTANT to the future of our program and every other Div. 1 school. Yes, there will be a playoff and it's all about BIG MONEY!

My only points here are that first, the presidents have to buy into the playoff idea. It makes a lot of sense, but then it always has and they won't take the step. What will change to make their minds up for them?

Secondly, 64 teams if an arbitrary number. If a playoff is 16 teams, for example, it doesn't matter how many could land those 16 spots. In fact, nothing needs to change from today's structure, all that's needed is means to pick the 16.

And finally, the conferences will wield the power in how this plays out. There is no provision in the bylaws of most leagues to address kicking schools out. The revenue sharing arrangements are in place and defined. To kick a Duke or Tech out of the conference would definitely be challenged in court. If schools were allowed to stay for all sports but football, either the revenue shares would need to be adjusted or those schools would still get their piece. A school like Duke, that brings in many many basketball $$ isn't going to sit idly while the conference screws them and neither will Tech.

This has nothing to do with what we need to do on the football field or in GTAA. The fact as I see it is that we are a member of one of the power conferences, and that will remain unchanged unless the conference changes. And I don't see how the NCAA drives that. And if the NCAA doesn't who would? The ACC will not accept a mandate from any other league to reduce the number of schools any more than the SEC, Big 10, PAC 10, Big 12 would. So I don't think that's a danger for Tech. Becoming a doormat maybe, but not being kicked out of the top tier.

I cannot believe this is even being discussed.

Why do you think the ACC and other power conferences have been expanding. We will get our two other teams when we need or want to in order to have our 2 division conference and championship game.

I must have missed something. We are now supposed to believe that some group of experts will permanently pick 64 teams that are eligible for the championship? Even if conferences are done away with, why would it be so difficult to identify the strongest 8-16 on a yearly basis?
I am not buying into this.

If any current D1 schools need to be worried, its the group that are scrambling to get a power conference invite.
Teams like Boston College come to mind.
wink.gif

[QB]Ramblin-

I'll put Barnhart's weekly trips to college football hotspots, daily conversations with coaches and ADs, weekly radio shows and TV appearances and multiples newspaper columns up against your 945 posts any day of the week.

[QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Why Tony, I seem to have gotten your attention now haven't I?

If you ain't Tony Barnyard, then you ought to be his freakin agent...

I think Tech would be included in any playoff system that is designed. I think the playoffs would be comprised of the winners of conference championships and possibly a couple at large bids. The ACC would definately be one of the conferences.

I also think that the decision would be made with consideration given to the history of the school. It wouldn't be based on the past two or three years. I think that Tech ranks as one of the top 64 programs of all time easily, even within the past 20 years.

Back