The Reggie Ball Years

Saved me a post. Reggie was nowhere near as controversial. And why would anyone even consider putting Ball and Sims in the same sentence. Sims is literally the worst QB I have ever seen take a snap for GT. Well, maybe 1/4" better than that guy - what was his name... Booker?

Calvin Booker was just not an option guy, but in the end I'd take him over Sims. I'd rather have no QB than Sims basically because having cancer is bad and that is what he is, contagious cancer. Allowing quitters to hang around on your team spells doom. At least Booker went out there in an offense that he was in no way suited for and gave it his all and gutted out a win, even if mainly it was the 1 pass to Dwyer who then took it the remaining 70+ yards. Sims never has gutted out anything in his life as far as I can tell. And you know this is probably wrong in many many ways, however, I don't care.

Two words easily answer the issue - Pat Nix
Pat Nix called our last timeout against NC State in 2005 on first and goal with about a minute left. NC State's DL was gassed and could barely get to position. All we had to do is go up to the line, center it to Reggie, and either Reggie or PJ Daniels run it into the EZ. Even if we didn't make it on first down, we would have the TO for second down. We threw a pick off Calvin's hands and added a loss to GT's all time record.
Maddest I ever was leaving a game. Handed it to NC State.

Pat Nix called our last timeout against NC State in 2005 on first and goal with about a minute left. NC State's DL was gassed and could barely get to position. All we had to do is go up to the line, center it to Reggie, and either Reggie or PJ Daniels run it into the EZ. Even if we didn't make it on first down, we would have the TO for second down. We threw a pick off Calvin's hands and added a loss to GT's all time record.
Maddest I ever was leaving a game. Handed it to NC State.

Same, that is the angriest I've been leaving the stadium, even counting all the times I don't remember. Just incredibly stupid.

Isn’t Luginbill the most controversial?
mariah-carey-i-dont-know-her-02 (1).gif

Reggie now and Reggie at the time is two different opinions. He was far better than some of the last QBs we've seen but we also had a ton of talent on those rosters that we haven't had as of late. There has not been another Calvin Johnson at GT and it's unlikely that there will be. I have no doubt that he didn't lay it all out there, but I always wondered how Taylor Bennett would have done as the regular season QB with CJ's last year. Ultimately it probably would have been disappointing because Nix was a öööö OC.

Tinky Winky kinda sucked bro

Calvin did have 186 receiving yards and 2 TDs in the bowl game Bennett started though. His career high with us, coincidentally.

Calvin did have 186 receiving yards and 2 TDs in the bowl game Bennett started though. His career high with us, coincidentally.

CSB: I ran into Taylor Bennett in the stands at the 2008 Peach Bowl in the 3rd quarter. I was one of the participants in the Dr Pepper halftime challenge. They gave me a GT jersey with #13 so I put it on afterwards and headed back to my seats. A while later I noticed someone pointing in my direction walking up the aisle, looked over and it was Taylor Bennett pointing at me then at himself, the expression seemed to me like he was asking if I was wearing that jersey because of him, the one I had just been given a few minutes before. Of course I nodded like he was asking if I was Dr. Galazkiewicz, "yes I am". So, I went over and we talked for a few minutes. He was very nice, personable and humble. I asked him about playing with Calvin and he just gushed about it, saying he was by far the best athlete he has ever been around, that even practices were awesome and he felt like as a QB you couldn't have it any better. I complimented him on the Gator Bowl performance and he just gave Calvin all the credit. He said he felt like he could just go back there throw it to Calvin and either he would come down with it or no one else would (which I think he was speaking in generalities, not going to get into the minutia of the game). Anyway, awesome guy, told him it was an honor to meet him and then went back to drinking and working on my paper based aeronautics project.

I would never "blast-ridicule" a Tech player who obviously gave his best as a Yellow Jacket-but-my enduring memory of RB was leaving the cesspool stadium after the game in '06 and hearing the inbreds chanting "Reggie-Reggie" will forever burn in my psyche. Plus being at the Wake game and seeing CJ wide open in the endzone watching a "pass" bounce in front of him also endures. Yes, I was at both Auburn games where we won with him and YES he did have some incredible performances at Tech but his UP"S and DOWN"S drove me CRAZY! So, I guess you could call this a "blast" on him but the bottom line is I never was or will be a RB fan--sorry. If Calvin had played with a QB with a consistent passing game his college statistics would have been mind-blowingly fantastic.

Taylor's first pass in a game for us was a TD pass to Calvin.

Isn't Pat Nix now barely breaking .500 as a midsized high school coach?

GO JACKETS!!
byteback

Reggie was terrible. Sorry. The only reason he was even serviceable is because he happened to have the greatest WR in history to throw to.

If we had even average QB play during those years we would consistently win 9-10 games. People forgot how stacked with talent we were at other positions

Reggie laid it on the line and never quit. He played through injuries all of 06. He got pulled from a UGA game for trucking their DB and then trying to fight their whole D. He wasn’t the best QB, but he is miles ahead of some of the guys we’ve seen play here since.

Back