The sad truth ...

Mr. Skeptical

Varsity Lurker
Here goes!

I write this post as a TRUE die-hard fan of GT (men’s) sports for over 20 years. Make no mistake about this. I am proud of my alma mater, proud of the fact we are one of the few schools have never been on any NCAA probation, proud of the responsible way our athletic department typically goes about doing “business”. I have no problem with either Gailey or Hewitt – both fine coaches with good reputations who handle themselves well.

My point for this post you ask?

I feel there is no reason to follow GT men’s football or basketball for now or forever for the simple FACT we probably will NEVER will an ACC football title or “regular season” ACC hoops title – the true best team gage (note: I am not including the bogus weekend ACC tourney – sure we could theoretically get hot and win that another time).

There are many, many reasons to not follow big-time men’s college athletics for the obvious, amoral, and hypocritical nature of the “business”. But, I am the first to admit I will be the first phony in line to look the other way if TECH is doing well.

But, my BOTTOM LINE is this: if one’s team (in any sport or league) does not stand a even a 1% chance of winning that league now or forever (barring death penalties, plane crashes or the like) why bother to follow that team? I am NOT asking for much … just 1% !!!!!

Some brief history:
In the late nineties when we had the Fridge and other programs were down (except F$U) there was the hope that when the Seminoles would decline it may represent an opportunity for TECH to move toward the top. Well, we know the history and now we sit in the middle to the bottom feeders of the league. This wouldn’t be so bad if the ACC did not go ahead and add Miami and Va. Tech to the league. Holy Schmoly! I am 43 years old and I will never see TECH win the ACC and get a Major Bowl bid. Let’s be real, the situation sucks and unless Steve Spurrier, or someone on that level, returns to TECH. Face the facts … it is truly hopeless.

Also, remember the vast majority of posters here and at the HIVE are really big fans. The average "fan" realizes what I've posted and accepts TECH's plight as part of life.

Changing sports … I am so sick of how badly college hoops has fallen. This topic need not be addressed here. But, does anyone actually realize that since TECH joined the ACC in hoops 1979 we have only had 1 season (this is incontrovertibly true) where prior to the season starting we, the fans, knew the team was going to be good and figured to finish, say, at least 10-6 (9-5 years ago) in the league. That year, of course, was 1986 (Price and Salley’s senior season). That is not asking for much to go 10-6? Is it? The baseball team plays over .600 league ball most years. In the last 17 years we (Tech in hoops) have finished more than 2 games over .500 only once (13-3 in 1996 with Marbury). Even in that year no one knew we would be that good (or the ACC that bad).

This year continues this disturbing and seemingly hopeless trend. Regardless of the reasons – all may be good and justifiable reasons – the BOTTOM LINE is that we don’t even stand a 1% chance of winning the ACC regular season hoops title this year and who knows if we ever will. With Roy Williams returning to UNC the situation is even more bleak.

I will admit that Hewitt can recruit so there is at least a chance we will compete for another regular season title before I die. Also, Miami and VA. TECH have no hoops programs to concern ourselves with.

What makes me fricking irate is knowing the “competition” – UGA … where they allow a jerk-off of a head coach (Harrick) son administer a phony “Basketball Studies” course where no one shows up and everyone gets an “A”. If this isn’t a total mockery of “College Athletics” nothing is. Why the USA is the only country in the world that uses and degrades its 5-star academic institutions as semi-pro training grounds? Perhaps Michael Moore (Bowling for Columbine)should do a documentary movie about this "phenomenon."

Conclusions:

If you can accept the fact Georgia Tech will probably never compete for first place in football for the rest of your life then following the team is for you.

I dare anyone on this planet to “concoct” a scenario that has TECH competing in football on the same level with the rest of the new ACC and UGA.

I am NOT, NOT, NOT a front runner – just give me a 1% chance of finishing first and I will be fine.

Any thoughts?

I have clensed my soul and can now sign off into oblivion ...

Mr. Skeptical

QUOTE - "What makes me fricking irate is knowing the “competition” – UGA … where they allow a jerk-off of a head coach (Harrick) son administer a phony “Basketball Studies” course where no one shows up and everyone gets an “A”. If this isn’t a total mockery of “College Athletics” nothing is. Why the USA is the only country in the world that uses and degrades its 5-star academic institutions as semi-pro training grounds? Perhaps Michael Moore (Bowling for Columbine)should do a documentary movie about this "phenomenon."

- That part there is beautiful. Couldn't have put it any better myself. Nice job.

Man ... that was fast - I haven't posted in years and my true identity was uneartheed.

I guess I should feel honored?

It was a post on the HIVE (where I've been banned for life for speaking the truth) by Old crabby Techster wanting to hear from - can someone tell him I'm here and as bitter (if that is possible) as ever!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Skeptical

a.k.a. "The Bitter Gus"

Originally posted by Mr. Skeptical:
Here goes!

I write this post as a TRUE die-hard fan of GT (men’s) sports for over 20 years. Make no mistake about this. I am proud of my alma mater, proud of the fact we are one of the few schools have never been on any NCAA probation, proud of the responsible way our athletic department typically goes about doing “business”. I have no problem with either Gailey or Hewitt – both fine coaches with good reputations who handle themselves well.

My point for this post you ask?

I feel there is no reason to follow GT men’s football or basketball for now or forever for the simple FACT we probably will NEVER will an ACC football title or “regular season” ACC hoops title –
I have clensed my soul and can now sign off into oblivion ...

Mr. Skeptical
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good bye! Have a good life!!
blue.gif

Originally posted by Mr. Skeptical:

Conclusions:

If you can accept the fact Georgia Tech will probably never compete for first place in football for the rest of your life then following the team is for you.

I dare anyone on this planet to “concoct” a scenario that has TECH competing in football on the same level with the rest of the new ACC and UGA.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Mr. Skeptical,

You are correct that we will not compete for the ACC under the current coaching staff.

But this staff will not be here forever....sooner or later the excuses will run out (there couldn't be more than a billion or so excuses left) and we will (hopefully) hire a staff the caliber of Bobby Ross's or George O'leary's.

And then we will build back up and be competitive for the league title. Bank on it.

Georgia Tech can win the ACC in basketball and football. I think Coach Hewitt will bring us an ACC basketball title in the next couple of years. I am very high on him. He is a great recruiter. Last year was disappointing on the court, but I was pleased with his first two seasons.

I think Tech can win it on the gridiron too. Right now, there are no signs of it happening in the near future. But I believe it will. O'Leary had us close and we will be back there and get over the hump someday. I have not a doubt about it.

My recolledtion is that Cremmins had severa teams in the 1980s that were very highly rate in the pre-season. I was young at the time so it is only vague. Feel free to correct if I am wrong though.

Originally posted by beeware:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by Mr. Skeptical:

Conclusions:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Mr. Skeptical,

You are correct that we will not compete for the ACC under the current coaching staff.

But this staff will not be here forever....sooner or later the excuses will run out (there couldn't be more than a billion or so excuses left) and we will (hopefully) hire a staff the caliber of Bobby Ross's or George O'leary's.

And then we will build back up and be competitive for the league title. Bank on it.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BANK ON IT THAT THIS CURRENT STAFF GETS THINGS TURNED AROUND AND THEY WILL BE HERE A WHILE KEEP POSTING ON IT!

Mr. Skeptical,

How can someone who is an alum stop being a fan? Yes, I know it's possible, but it would be impossible for me and I think most. I could just as easily re-nonce my citizenship and religion (though there was a time went I was sorely tempted by a beautiful young Baptist girl).

I suspect like most of us with a Tech ring, you are a fan for life; good weather and bad.

Some of us, wouldn't say spam if we had a mouth full. Others can't seem to see or say anything good. Just human nature I guess.

So go ahead a complain about the boat ride we all are on, but stop every once in a while to post something positive.

71, you are right. I don't know the times that I have been so frustrated that I would say that I would wash my hand of the team but find myself sitting in the west stands the next game. I don't think that a true Tech fan has the option of walking away. It's not the easiest thing in the world being a Tech fan.

Originally posted by beeware:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You are hilarious....almost as funny as all of those sad Bama fans that cry in their beer while telling stories about the bear.

The common denominator for success at GT with both Ross and O'Leary was Friedgen (check their record with and without him as OC). Guess what...he is not coming back to GT. Of course, if you were a Maryland fan you would be trashing him on a Terrapin board for losing to Northern Illinois!

This entire board knows how you feel about the current staff...saying it over and over again will not change things. Just send your coaching recommendations to Clough...because hopefully Braine will not be around much longer to prostitute the school.

I know how you feel but part of the fun of college athletics is the uncertainty.I didn't think that Ross could have ever achieved what he did(although I thought we could be more than competitive).
This fball era is a phase and not a pleasant one.My biggest concern is that Clough has set the bar too high with the new rules on recruiting and advancement in school.
BBall could be a whole different situation.You don't need but 2 great players to turn a BBall team around.PH has the ability to get them .so we have a shot.
I was watching a Vandy game last year and they were getting destroyed (again)but there were 30k fans enjoying the spectacle of college athletics knowing that really how their team did made no difference in their life.They still got a great education from a great school which lead to a fine vocational career,etc,etc.Not many losers there.
But it still feels good to win.I'll NEVER forget standing up at the Citrus bowl and cheering as the goal posts came down in '90 to signal the zenith of the college experience, a national championship. Hang in there.

Back