The U: ESPN film

Maurice Clarett begs to differ.
So does Peter Warrick.
And Mike Vick, who almost won a national championship by himself.
Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, and the rest of the pay-for-play USC team also take issue.

Ohio State was not out of control like the UM team. In fact, Clarett wasn't out of control at Ohio State. He's just plain stupid.

Mike Vick wasn't out of control at VT - neither was the rest of VT's team.

The USC team may have taken some under the table favors, but was also very disciplined on the field.

None of the teams/players you listed were comparable.

When I saw the preview for this on ESPN my first thought was, "I've seen some good documentary's in the '30 for 30' series, but I don't care to watch this one."

I really enjoyed the one's on the USFL, Muhammad Ali and Larry Holmes and the Baltimore Colts move to Indianapolis. I just don't care to know the inside stuff with "Da U." I have seen enough crap on the outside without having to dig deeper.

I despise Miami football as they are my least favorite college or professional team, and given what I've read in this thread, if I would have watched this I'm sure I would have despised the program even more, if that's possible.

Ohio State was not out of control like the UM team. In fact, Clarett wasn't out of control at Ohio State. He's just plain stupid.

Mike Vick wasn't out of control at VT - neither was the rest of VT's team.

The USC team may have taken some under the table favors, but was also very disciplined on the field.

None of the teams/players you listed were comparable.

We can argue about what discipline means, but I'm willing to bet that UM wasn't the most penalized team in college football for any year from 1983-1991. The unsportsmanlike conduct penalties were much looser then.

And while it isn't to the same level, if anyone think GT is completely clean in all of this type of stuff they're wrong. Stones, glass houses, all that jazz.

We can argue about what discipline means, but I'm willing to bet that UM wasn't the most penalized team in college football for any year from 1983-1991. The unsportsmanlike conduct penalties were much looser then.

And while it isn't to the same level, if anyone think GT is completely clean in all of this type of stuff they're wrong. Stones, glass houses, all that jazz.

I don't know if I'd take that bet if I were you. UM had 200+ yards of pealties and 9 personal foul penalties in one game in 1991.

As for the glass houses statement, I have no idea what you are talking about. GT has had it's moments (textbook scandal?), but nothing on the scale of UM.

I enjoyed it. A lot actually. Some of it was funny, and some of it is even funnier because of how mediocre Miami really is now.

I am, however, extremely surprised that Miami did not get the death penalty. But hey, a few people made a whole lot of money from those kids. So, it was all in good fun.

I don't know if I'd take that bet if I were you. UM had 200+ yards of pealties and 9 personal foul penalties in one game in 1991.

As for the glass houses statement, I have no idea what you are talking about. GT has had it's moments (textbook scandal?), but nothing on the scale of UM.

I'm well aware of 1 game. One game where they wanted to prove a point because they felt slighted. There were no other stats about any of that.

You can go back to just last year to see our D-line's celebration after sacks with the "feed me" move. You can see the whole team jumping around on the sideline during rap music getting played over the loudspeakers, two things that would've SHOCKED cfb fans 30 years ago. We all know about the few arrests we've had.

We're certainly not as bad as Miami's program, but a lot more of their problems have been in the last 10 years as they try to get those glory years back by taking swagger over talent. Those early teams were GREAT and were willing to rub it in your face.

I'd be pissed as hell if it happened to me, sure, but I'm not going to say that these things don't go on just as much now. Do you think all the inner city kids from Miami stopped growing up with a chip on their shoulder? I think they just got spread out more so you don't see it all in one place now.

I'm well aware of 1 game. One game where they wanted to prove a point because they felt slighted. There were no other stats about any of that.

You can go back to just last year to see our D-line's celebration after sacks with the "feed me" move. You can see the whole team jumping around on the sideline during rap music getting played over the loudspeakers, two things that would've SHOCKED cfb fans 30 years ago. We all know about the few arrests we've had.

We're certainly not as bad as Miami's program, but a lot more of their problems have been in the last 10 years as they try to get those glory years back by taking swagger over talent. Those early teams were GREAT and were willing to rub it in your face.

I'd be pissed as hell if it happened to me, sure, but I'm not going to say that these things don't go on just as much now. Do you think all the inner city kids from Miami stopped growing up with a chip on their shoulder? I think they just got spread out more so you don't see it all in one place now.
...and if you thing the issue was celebrations you're either not old enough to remember or you're conveniently not considering the rest of the story. What bothered me was the dirty play and their off field antics. As Irvin says, they were bad boys who liked being bad boys.

I thought it was really interesting, and I laughed the entire time. (How about Hill saying to blame the architect, the QB for throwing him the ball, etc. That was classic.) You don't have to cheer for them or like them, but I really think it's one of those things where Miami fans thought the stuff was great because it was their team. Like how UF loved Spurrier.

Back