This game is not too tough to analyze IMO...

hiveredtech

Dodd-Like
Two things killed us.
1- Turnovers...three of which came on pass plays with first down yardage.
2- Inability to make a stop on defense on 3rd and 4th down.

Yes...the playbook was kept simple. However, that is the right thing to do with a young QB away from home. It is easy to tear down his confidence by asking too much too soon. The plan was actually going pretty well...keep it close as long as possible and strike in the 2nd half. Unfortunately on 3 separate occasions we had pass plays for first down yardage that resulted in a fumble. I am almost positive the coaches did not call "the fumble and give up the ball" play to be run! Turnovers are back breakers.

Overall one must admit two things...we are obviously thin, but we are playing decently disciplined football for an opener.

DEFENSE
Our defense could not hold in the 2nd half...beginning with the opening drive for 80 yds. and a TD. I am not sure of the exact stats but I believe BYU was 4 of 4 on 4th down and converted over half of their 3rd down tries. Secondary struggled a bit...which is surprising. Not sure we can blame this on lack of offense because BYU drove for 2 TD's on their opening 2 drives in the second half. The bright side is we have some talent there and I think Tenuta will get it under control.

OFFENSE
We must hold on to the darn ball. Ball is completing passes and we have experienced players fumbling the ball after the catch. Ball, nor the coaches, can make them hold on to the football. Hopefully this will be corrected. The bright side of the offense is there is a lot of potential there. I think Ball will open it up a lot more in future games and can lead this team. PJ has some decent runs. The best is yet to come on offense.

SUMMARY
The ultimate bright side....we were not ranked #14 in the nation and then lost to Northern Illinois. GEESH!!!

Back