This season will haunt Georgia forever...

BarJacket

Varsity Lurker
Remember how bad it felt after Colorado beat ND in the 1990 season Orange Bowl and it looked like we would finish second in both polls? We had won our conference championship, whipped the Dawgs, and had won all our games except one. But, because of a game that was completely out of our control, it looked like we were going to be denied a national championship and finish second in both polls... and it felt heart-breakingly horrible!

Well, that's the way Georgia is going to remember this season. The only difference is that we did get a share of the national championship and they're not going to.

As time goes by, they will remember one thing about this season: they lost to an average Florida team and that cost them a chance for the national championship. That will eat away at them forever. Chances to win the NC don't come along very often, and to come that close and lose really, really hurts.

Nobody remembers who finishes number two, and that's the very best they can even hope for. So, ironically, long after we have put this season behind us and moved on, Georgia will still be haunted by what might have been.

Plus, the pressure on Georgia and Richt to repeat their combination of luck and good play and win it all next year will be great, and the odds are that they won't be able to do it. That will rub salt in their wounds and create dissention in their ranks.

They may talk bravely about how great it is to beat a team tied for second in the SEC West in the SEC championship game, but in their hearts they're only thinking of the glory that might have been theirs. Their one loss to the Gators will be the thing they remember about this year.

They're feigning a great celebration right now, but their Dawg hearts are aching. Because they came so close to the national championship and missed it.

I remember how it felt when I thought we were going to miss out on a national championship after that Notre Dame loss to Colorado in the Orange Bowl, and it hurt so much that I wouldn't trade places with any barking dog fan today.

They're barking with their mouths, but they're crying with their hearts. So, ironically, this season will be haunting them long after Tech has forgotten about it. Sweet irony!

It will probably haunt them and losing all their starters on the offensive line means they won't probably repeat as SEC Champions. However, UGA will be around as a power now. Richt is a good coach. Also, the NCAA rule change eliminating the SAT score benefits UGA more than perhaps any other school in the country. UGA usually lost 4 to 5 recruits as non-qualifiers. Now they can take players who make 400 on the SAT. In the past, UGA has even taken players who couldn't qualify academically Florida State. It's going to be an uphill battle to compete with them.

It will certainly haunt us forever
51-7 is a taste that will last longer that Wrigley’s Spearmint.

mad.gif
drinking.gif
drinking.gif
mad.gif
puke.gif

I'm in my mid to late 60's and I know I'll always remember 51-7 as long as I live even if by luck and the grace of god I make it to 100! I don't give a darn how the UGa-lly mongrels feel.

TO HELL WITH Georgia.

Originally posted by 71Bee:
It will certainly haunt us forever
55-7 is a taste that will last longer that Wrigley’s Spearmint.

mad.gif
drinking.gif
drinking.gif
mad.gif
puke.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Don't make it worse than it was man! "51-7"
wink.gif

Nothing is going to haunt me over a 12-1 season,SEC, and state championship. Even if we beat UF, Miami and OSU still probably play for MNC. Getting the SEC champ monkey off our back is what really mattered at UGA. Acting like anything short of a NC doesn't matter is ludacris. Under Richt the lid's been blown off the UGA program. Who can honestly say that any program in the country has a brighter future than UGA right now ? We'll bring in top recruits, pack the stadiums, contend for the conference title most years and periodically make some runs for the national title. That's obvious to me and I won't ask for more. With the NC goal out there it just give us more to stay hungry for and to look forward too.

I doubt if Ugag is too haunted by the possibility of finishing 13-1 and second in the nation. I say possibility because I think the probability is the ACC Champ defeats the SEC champ in the Sugar Bowl.....just like FSU stomped UF....the only team to defeat them dawgs.

Although, the possibility (I would say probability ) exists that if Ugag had not put Shockley in the UF game when they did, that they may very well be undefeated right now.

The thing that some dawg fans have told me that actually does haunt them the most, is the fact that they came close to hiring Chan Gailey before they eventually hired Mark Richt.

Just imagine how the dawgs would feel if they had done that....oh, yeah.....just like us.

Bar Jacket, that was an almost lyrical post;in fact it was so good I am going to have a Bloody Mary for lunch! Damn it is nice to work at home!

drinking.gif
blue.gif
laugh.gif

Haunted by a 12-1 season... LMAO!

No Dawg fan in their right mind will be haunted by this season. We are nothing but grateful. I'd rather build the program slowly and consistently than to be a flash in the pan.

We lose our OL, but Richt played a lot of back-ups all year long. We have two monster tackles Max Jean-Gilles 6'5" 365 lbs. and Daniel Inman 6'7" 315 lbs. that will anchor our new line. Plus they will be practicing against arguably the best defensive line in college football next spring and summer. Our OL will be ready for primetime next year that is for certain.

To say that this season will "haunt us" is TRULY one of the most ludicrous statements I've ever heard. As an '83 grad of UGA I see it as back to how things should be. Being in the hunt and whippin' your boys.
Sure losing to UF sux but I predicted 10-2 for this season and other then the aforementioned loss, I couldn’t be happier.
I realize that you're probably trying to come up with something to throw at us after the 51-7 beating but believe me when I say, the "haunting" commentary doesn't work.

HBTD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of '83 and how things should be how is Jan Kemp doing these days?

and another thing...is a jacket fan finally admitting that their co-championship season is a tad tarnished? alert the media! you're haunted by that tie to unc and by the bowl victory over a decent nebraska team?

i'm sorry to hear that.

Guys, I hate UGA with all my heart. I have taught my kids to cheer against them in all cases and love to see them get beat. With that said, this year will be a spring board for UGA. They are having an incredible year recruiting and are reloading and have alot of talent coming back.I knew they had a good coach when they hired Richt. I was just hoping he would not be this good. We have alot of work to do to be competitive again.

This was the weakest year in the history of the SEC, and you're STILL not as good as Florida. That's your only claim to fame. I predict the SEC is back next year and UGA returns to 8-4. In the meantime savor that "great" victory over the powerhouse ARKANSAS.

Seems that one of our "other" victories might be up under your skin but we appreciate your prognostication for the future. Don't think it's all too accurate, but we thank you anyway.
smile.gif

HBTD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry HBTD or whatever your name is...

ACADEMIC FRAUD + PROBATION &gt; O'Leary's Resume.

Can't wait for UGAg's next round of NCAA sanctions.

Don't hold your breath...

When a team goes 12-1 and within those 12 W's are a SOUND beating of ones in state rival AND an SEC Championship, a school shouldn't have to cheat.

So how long till you fire Chan and try to bring O'Liar back?

PS - If you sneak a peak at this link you'll see that there is an early ranking of prospective recruiting classes. The only difference between yours and ours, is a 0.
smile.gif

http://borderwars.theinsiders.com/2/71136.html

HBTD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is pretty lame. The puppies have a season that we would love to have: only one loss, conference championship, 44 point drubbing of their in-state rival, Top 5 ranking, and a trip to the Sugar Bowl with a 10MM+ payout .... and we want to talk smack. That may be okay for you guys that think we have to "dog" them at every turn, but it seems pretty weak to me.

Ask yourself, it we had a season like that with a loss to FSU, what would we think of dawggies saying we would be "haunted" by the season. That's right, we would say they were delusional. And before you ask, I hate the dawggies as much as anyone here.

Back