Thought for offensive attack with Bilbo...

Axe

Flats Noob
...there has been a lot of talk about Bilbo's ability to run the offense and that got me thinking about an idea for an offensive attack Bilbo might have some success with.

I don't know if you have noticed but a few teams in college football like Clemson and Wake run a spread-no huddle attack that allows the offensive coaches on the sideline to call the plays while the offense is at the line of scrimmage. This allows the OC to get a look at the defense and make his call.

Wake did this against us with great success this year. Clemson had a lot of success with Woody doing this.

I think Bilbo might have a little success with this. It can't get much easier than that. Just give him the play at the line and let him go. I've seen Clemson and Wake beat a defense to death with 4 or 5 plays. This season I saw the Wake offensive coach signal in the play at the line against us and then he actually called an audible after we made a change defensively.

We could run our spread attack and feature the little draw, QB keep off the draw fake. QB draw, roll-outs, quick option pitch, quick pass routes etc. Any thoughts???

I think it is a pretty good idea. It might prove to be a good way to grow him into the position if he is having problems with learning the system. However, it would still require that he know the plays. So the real question is: Does he not know all the plays? Or is he not able to read the defenses and make adjustments? If the first one is true, then this system would still be a failure since knowing the plays is essential for this method to work.

I just want points on the board and really think that we need to do something to get us out of this scoring funk. That is the one question that I wish someone would have brought up on the show today (what are we doing to insure we score more points with all our yards?).

Our current offense is a ball controlling, move down the field slowly, offense. I think that is partly our problem since it gives AJ too many chances to make mistakes over the life of a drive (which he has shown the tendency to do). Even if the coaches don't use Bilbo, I still think your idea would work well with AJ since he plays better when we keep moving quickly and it allows him to get into a groove. Plus, defenses are likely to give up the big play when they aren't allowed downtime between plays.

Just my thoughts.

Personally I like the idea of no hundle with Bilbo. Not as quick as the two minute, but where he comes up to line and gets the play in from sideline after the D sets. Much like you mentioned Wake does. That makes a great deal of sense to me.

Like him in the gun more than under center in the spread O. I'd feature him rolling out, but mix it up with qb draws and runs with even some pocket passing. Love that new wrinkle they featured some in FSU game with little option. Really more of varied version of tall sweep and not option but effective.

In the red zone I'd put him under center especially from the 10 to goal in I formation, but want to see the ball in his hands with some sort of run option on the corner depending on what the D does. If the D is spread then pound that ball up in there!

Just some iders.
wink.gif

Frankly, it sounds as if a coach/coaches are saying Bilbo can't learn the plays, which is both degrading and rediculous. It is making him look bad from the standpoint of not being able to learn. I don't believe it for a minute.

Let's step up and look at the truth. He played the first two games of the year where he was supposed to know the least. It appeared he knew the plays they ran as he did pretty good.

I saw him throw into coverage once and it was intercepted, and mabye made another freshman mistake, but none of the errors I saw were fron a non-knowledge of the plays. The mishandled plays were pure freshman errors.

This begs for some truth. Last year some of the running backs were benched for fumbles. Burns also lost some fumbles and made some poor decisions, but was not benched. I did not think some of the backs were treated fairly last year, and I do not think Bilbo is being treated fairly this year.

From my view, it appears Bilbo knows enough plays to come in and play. If the problem is something else, then tell it like it is. Personally, there is no way in hades, I can be convinced he is not playing because he does not know enough plays to be in the game. Did he suddenly forget all of those plays he knew in the first two games?

I feel like the fans are getting the run-around on Bilbo. Surely the coaches don't think we are that dumb. I guess we must be like the proverbial mushrooms, keep them in the dark and feed them crap.

Sorry, but I am tired of the misinformation given us regarding Bilbo. If he is not performing well that is another issue, but I don't want the coaches telling me does not know enough of the plays to get into the game.

drinking.gif

I agree ahsoisee. As I've stated before, Bilbo was actually looking off receivers and making his progressions much better than AJ early on. He has done nothing to deserve being benched and AJ has done nothing to prevent Bilbo from deserving more PT.

It appears to me that Chan is a relatively stubborn guy and once he gets his mind set on something, he will do whatever it takes to justify his position. I think he honestly believed that AJ is his best QB early on and is unwilling to change his mind about it.

I could easily be wrong but I just get the feeling that we are being fed the party line in order to get us to shut up. Nothing on the field has proven his statements to be true in regards to Bilbo not being ready and AJ being far superior.

I've been a defender of AJ. But honestly, I'd like to see Bilbo get another shot at it. This would be a good weekend to see how much of the playbook he supposedly doesn't know.
grin.gif

Ahso, I agree with you. I'm sick of this "Bilbo doesn't know the offense" line. You're also right about there being a double standard. Bilbo throws a bad int against UNC and doesn't see any more action the rest of the game. Suggs throws 3 ints against FSU goes to the sidelines and starts laughing with a teammate after the last one. He then makes a comment in the paper about 22 people being in a small space. Never mind it was first down and he didn't need to force the ball. After all that, all Gailey says on his call-in show is that AJ looked good in the 2 games before FSU. Bilbo should start against Duke. If Gailey did that to make a statement that you don't laugh it up after throwing a last minute int, I would be the first one to come on this board to praise him even if Bilbo went 6 for 24.

Ahso, it sounds like you ar dead on. We are not getting the full story on why Bilbo is not playing. Too be honest, it appears to me that Suggs doesn't know the 2 minute drill. I don't see him getting yanked.

One of the greatest mistakes of this season has been the inability to get Bilbo on the field for some experience. When his time does come he will have to play his way through some mistakes and we will start all over again. Last week we saw Gailey/OBrien line up receivers ala "slash" with Suggs flanked out wide in order to get the ball in the hands of our skilled athletes. Now, tell me why Bilbo can't be inserted in order to run the option or do the same thing? When you have great athletes you plan the offense around them - not give up on them because they don't fit into yours. Get him on the field and pressure the defense!!!

Father Wasp, one of your comments you made is the basis for defining a good coach.

A good coach knows how to use the talents of each individual to its maximum. You adjust the character of the team to take advantage of the players talents.

It goes back to the old adage of placing round pegs into round holes and square pegs into square holes.

Definitely, you take a gifted athlete and design his portion of the game around him and still maintain your basic system. It was the ability of Friegden to do this with his quarterbacks that made both his teams and the quarterbacks effective.

bugboy, to be fair to DB he needs not only PT, but the quality preparation time that AJ now has 10 games of. THWG

ahsoisee - Is it possible that we are arguing semantics here. By Gailey saying he doesn't "know" the plays that he could be saying that he doesn't know how to properly execute them or maybe even a little bit of both? Coaches (and Gailey in particluar) have a tendency to simplify phrases. I would say that from all of the practices I went to Bilbo was a little confused on some plays but he also would have trouble executing the passes properly. He would make a spectacular play then throw the next two behind the receiver, then run around and get nothing then run and get a nice gain. He was far from consistent and was much scarier than AJs inconsistencies.

Just some other thoughts for the discussion.

GTT, I also agree with you, that much of what we have heard may be board talk, but it does still seem strange to me he has not entered the games for much playing time since the first two.

I have no clue regarding his practice results, but the times I have seen him in the first two games and snippets of others, he has seemed sharp.

wink.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
GTT, I also agree with you, that much of what we have heard may be board talk, but it does still seem strange to me he has not entered the games for much playing time since the first two.

I have no clue regarding his practice results, but the times I have seen him in the first two games and snippets of others, he has seemed sharp.

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Agree as well. He has been sharp. To me he won the UNC game with his TD drive.

I honestly believe he has been prepared and the coaches have had a plan to get him into the game. When you get in the heat of battle some times things change. That's just my opinion.

One of the things that I noticed in watching the two in practice is accuracy. AJ can throw a dart and hit a silver dollar at 30 yards and DB's passes were about a foot off at that range. However, when the pressures of the game are on, the results sometime change (no need to elaborate).

If I were picking one over the other and had the practices to go on, I would pick AJ. I might would continue to go with him even when things are not going right because I could see how I would think he would return to his true form any minute as he has shown in practice.

If AJ played like he practices, he would be a world beater. I think the kid has some superstar potential. But perhaps he needs some pressure from "behind" by DB. Whenever, DB was put in, it seemed to have a positive effect on AJ.

I dunno, just thinking out loud, I guess.
confused.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:

[QB]Frankly, it sounds as if a coach/coaches are saying Bilbo can't learn the plays, which is both degrading and rediculous. It is making him look bad from the standpoint of not being able to learn. I don't believe it for a minute.

)___________________________________________

I agree 1000%...This is insulting to Bilbo and inappropriate for the reasons stated. I HOPE he doesn't decide to transfer...

If you have an incredible raw talent like Bilbo - something that is painfully obvious - then you WORK WITH HIM and improve upon any deficiencies...

Additionally, saying that he can't learn the plays etc is probably the absolute lamest arguement I have ever heard.

This is the biggest and most ominous development of the entire year IMO

Absoisee - I see it the same way as you do. If he hasn't learned enough of the "package" yet to see substantial playing time, he shouldn't be on the team because he's never going to learn it.

He's performed well when he's played and it is absolutely incredibly odd and maybe inexcusable that he has not played more.

Bilbo was the Gator Ade national player of the year. I don't think Tech has ever recruited a QB that was rated the best player in the nation and yet our coaches haven't developed him.As a matter of fact he has seemingly been relegated to an afterthought. He led us to our only TD against Maryland and hasn't seen the field since. This is mind boggling.

Back