Thoughts from South Beach

Iowa fans are a chop off the ole Ohio State block. Wasted, obnoxious, and in your face if they win.

This was not a good defensive performance. Iowa playbook: toss sweep, crossing route, post route, oh crap Morgan is about to sack me run the other way. The toss sweep, in particular, was gravy all night long. We stopped it twice in a row only once. It was good for a nice gain at least 2 of 3 times most of the night, and no worse than 1 of 3.

Iowa was the best possible Orange Bowl matchup. A weak conference. An abysmal offense. GT would have fared worse against all other potential opponents.

GT is not an elite team at this time. CG last year mediocre. PJ first year good. PJ second year great. Not elite. The minimum it would take to attain that is a new DC. I think it will also take either a more accurate QB or a QB not being asked to make NFL level throws cold. As a friend of mine pointed out, Colt McCoy is also a dual threat QB, but he can throw. I think for GT it's better to have a throwing QB who happens to run than a running QB who happens to throw. The INT was a NFL level throw. Post route with good coverage but beaten running. You have to loft it over the defender and over the shoulder in stride. Not a high percentage throw given current schemes and personnel.

As feared early, GT was vastly outnumbered. My home side lower level corner endzone was 80-20 Iowa.

The ACC (and thankfully the Big 10 and Big East) blow huge heaping chunks. Terrible. Top to bottom worse in every way than the SEC, Big 12, and perhaps Pac-10.

It's **@$#^!#$&^ COLD.

I have seen hell and it is anything remotely related to I-95.
I have seen purgatory and it is anything remotely related to Wommack defenses.

There is one streak PJ hasn't broken: bowl loses. Since we got all Chantastic up in here GT went from #1 in bowl winning percentage to an ongoing freefall. I'd wager GT isn't in the top 15 now.

L 12-31-2002 21 Fresno St. (CA) 30 Silicon Valley Classic
W 01-03-2004 52 Tulsa (OK) 10 Humanitarian Bowl
W 12-21-2004 51 Syracuse (NY) 14 Champs Sports Bowl
L 12-29-2005 10 Utah 38 Emerald Bowl
L 01-01-2007 35 West Virginia 38 Gator Bowl
L 12-31-2007 28 Fresno St. (CA) 40 Humanitarian Bowl
L 12-31-2008 3 Louisiana St. 38 Peach Bowl
L 01-05-2010 14 Iowa 24 Orange Bowl

South Beach is booty-tastic.

I'm still immensely satisfied where the program is compared to Chan days.

No seriously, Iowa fans suck.

Back