thoughts on our opponents after today's games

nathogt

Varsity Lurker
thoughts on our opponents after today\'s games

The Auburn fiasco is not good for us. They are a good team that just got smashed. Take hope in it if you like though. But I still think they will run up and down the field on us.

FSU is back. They looked a lot bigger and badder than UNC. Just like the old days. Did anyone see the play where the rb smacked into a UNC defender and made him fly off like pin hit by a bowling ball? It was probably the most wicked collision I've seen since the one where FSU broke Burns' leg. (As an aside, did anyone see the highlight of Casey Classum getting clotheslined? I loved it.) That defense is amazing. I see them being ACC champs this year.

Clemson still can't run. Now, it looks like they can't pass either. OF course, UGA's DLs chase their QB all day and we are not going to be able to do that. They also don't seem to know how to defend the pass.

Vanderbilt is still a bad team. But I was impressed with their fight. They looked pretty good on offense much of that game and threw the ball effectively (whereas last year they were running the option). They might be better than Duke and Clemson. I think we beat them.

Is UNC that bad or FSU that good? Hard to say. I still like Durant and I thought the freshman running back showed some flashes of explosiveness. My hunch is that UNC is about as good as us.

NC State. I did not see that game but it sounds like the same NC State.

Wake lost lots of players and bounced back. I only read about the game but their new QB started a long drive with less than 3:00 remaining and threw the winning TD. It will be tough.

It is better to play Maryland late than early. That seems to be the trend under Fridge. I think they will be a good team despite the loss Thursday. Perry's return will make them formidable. (I believe their QB was playing hurt as well).

I was thinking that Duke might not be Duke this year. They are though. Easy win.

Virginia is solid.

You figure with a new O-line, secondary, rbs (not to mention a NFL linebacker and defensive lineman)that UGA might struggle. But, no, Green got to sit back, take his sweet time, and pick apart Clemson. The only hopeful sign was that their receivers dropped several passes and that the halftime score should have been near the final one. If UGA stops UTs running attack, they win the SEC. I think we might need to get Reicht an NFL gig.

Re: thoughts on our opponents after today\'s games

Good assessments, but I'm afraid Richt will be at UGAg for a long time. Spurrier is demonstrating why a great (and secure in his job) college coach should not leave for the NFL. We are in bad need of some DL's, so Ugag, Auburn and FSU don't look good for us, unless BYU is that good. I do want to see our guys fighting hard in every game this year.
The bad thing about the FSU game is that even when they had their scrub D in, they still were dominating NC. From everything I've seen, they may be the best team we play this year.

FSU will win the conference again.

State and VA will battle for 2nd as expected.

Clemson and Tech will nosedive farther and make coaching changes in the winter.

Wake will stay in the middle tier and attend another lower rung bowl game.

Duke will win several games.

Auburn will rebound - they lost to what may be the national champs at the end.

Georgia beat a not so good Clemson team, so I remain unimpressed. Pollack still waving his arms around and Richt still trying to insert Shockley. That much hasnt changed. Somehow they think Tennessee and Florida are automatic W's. I doubt it.

UNC? Be thankful they are on our schedule.

Oh, and I forgot to add, BYU will end up winning 4 or 5 games max.

I noticed that Shockley threw that floater pass that the Clempsom Db SHOULD have intercepted. Here's hoping that he gets to throw it against Florida (again) and UT so they can take it to the house.

Auburn, LSU, & UT are all better teams than ugag. I believe they lose 2 of these 3. The AUC & others are IMO reading too much into yesterday's CU game. THWG

Originally posted by JJacket:
Good assessments, but I'm afraid Richt will be at UGAg for a long time. Spurrier is demonstrating why a great (and secure in his job) college coach should not leave for the NFL.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Great point. You took the words out of my mouth. I am not for one minute proclaiming UGA to win the SEC. Wayyyyy too early for that talk. UT should still be the favorite.

Back