Thoughts on Scheduling

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
When this year's schedule was released, I was very upset that we were not playing Georgia. Now, I feel differently.

Going forward, I would not mind if we played only conference games. That would mean we would play 12 ACC games a year. We really wouldn't need divisions. We could just let the two teams with the best records play in the ACC championship.

The reasons I would like this are:

- It eliminates those usually uninteresting games against opponents we are supposed to beat.

- It makes every game important.

- It keeps us from having a game bigger than our conference games.

- It would be fairer to Tech than having Clemson as a permanent rival with only 8 conf games. Clemson would just be another team to come up in every team's rotation of opponents.

It would mean ND would either have to join the ACC in football or not play ACC teams at all. To me, that would be OK, and it would make the ACC look stronger.

If Clemson, FSU and Louisville insist on playing their non-conference state rivals, I guess we would have to play a non-conf game, too. I would not want to play Georgia. If we're trying to get better yearly records, the Georgia game doesn't help us too often.

But, I would rather play 12 ACC games a year. If we play Georgia, let's play them in playoffs or bowls, when we'll have a good team and a better chance to win. If ND joins full membership in the ACC, that's OK, but they'd have to play 12 ACC games a year, like everybody else.

I'm surprised that my feelings have changed so drastically, and I know this will not be popular with many Tech fans. But, it's surprisingly how I really feel, and I like some mid week threads that are not too dramatic, compared to post game threads.

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
Is this a joke?
It will be considered a joke by most people, and that's fine with me. It would have been a joke in my mind until we got into this season. But, my view has changed.

I feel Tech should quit chasing its past. We've been doing that since Coach Dodd retired in 1966. We've never succeeded at that, and we never will, in my opinion. Nobody wishes we were back in the SEC more than I do. But, since we're not, let's quit glorifying it by making an SEC team our biggest game. We can keep hating Georgia, we just don't have to play them every year. Let's make the most out of the conference that took us in, after the SEC voted to reject us and leave us in a terrible danger of losing football. I was there. We almost lost Tech sports, thanks to the SEC.

The ACC is OK. Let's embrace it.

But, this is just one guy's thoughts. A year ago, I would have thought they were blasphemy, too. And, I don't expect o e single person to agree with me. If all Tech fans unite in saying I'm stupid, I'll be glad, because Tech fans sure need to unite about something.

goldmember

Damn Good Rat
It will be considered a joke by most people, and that's fine with me. It would have been a joke in my mind until we got into this season. But, my view has changed.

I feel Tech should quit chasing its past. We've been doing that since Coach Dodd retired in 1966. We've never succeeded at that, and we never will, in my opinion. Nobody wishes we were back in the SEC more than I do. But, since we're not, let's quit glorifying it by making an SEC team our biggest game. We can keep hating Georgia, we just don't have to play them every year. Let's make the most out of the conference that took us in, after the SEC voted to reject us and leave us in a terrible danger of losing football. I was there. We almost lost Tech sports, thanks to the SEC.

But, this is just one guy's thoughts. A year ago, I would have thought they were blasphemy, too. And, I don't expect o e single person to agree with me. If all Tech fans unite in saying I'm stupid, I'll be glad, because Tech fans sure need to unite about something.
I like playing a full conference schedule and the out of conference games are boring and vary wildly from team to team. It would make the bowl season mean more too. As to the almost lost sports, I would have to think that we would blame ourselves more than the SEC :)

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
When this year's schedule was released, I was very upset that we were not playing Georgia. Now, I feel differently.

Going forward, I would not mind if we played only conference games. That would mean we would play 12 ACC games a year. We really wouldn't need divisions. We could just let the two teams with the best records play in the ACC championship.

The reasons I would like this are:

- It eliminates those usually uninteresting games against opponents we are supposed to beat.

- It makes every game important.

- It keeps us from having a game bigger than our conference games.

- It would be fairer to Tech than having Clemson as a permanent rival with only 8 conf games. Clemson would just be another team to come up in every team's rotation of opponents.

It would mean ND would either have to join the ACC in football or not play ACC teams at all. To me, that would be OK, and it would make the ACC look stronger.

If Clemson, FSU and Louisville insist on playing their non-conference state rivals, I guess we would have to play a non-conf game, too. I would not want to play Georgia. If we're trying to get better yearly records, the Georgia game doesn't help us too often.

But, I would rather play 12 ACC games a year. If we play Georgia, let's play them in playoffs or bowls, when we'll have a good team and a better chance to win. If ND joins full membership in the ACC, that's OK, but they'd have to play 12 ACC games a year, like everybody else.

I'm surprised that my feelings have changed so drastically, and I know this will not be popular with many Tech fans. But, it's surprisingly how I really feel, and I like some mid week threads that are not too dramatic, compared to post game threads.
Wtf?
You’re obviously not from Georgia. There are no prouder moments of a true Tech Man than walking out of Sanford Stadium with a win and watching the all the Goobers dressed in Satan’s colors tuck their tails between their legs.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Far and away the best part of college football is geographical rivalries, especially intrastate rivalries.

It does not make sense to me to want to get rid of COFH just because we lose more often than we win.

AmpuTECHture

Drain Lake Powell
While the dwag game is important, I don't want to lose the other OOC games either. Those games should certainly be refined (maybe an NCAA rule for 2 or 3 OCC games to be ON teams) so we aren't playing the samfords and jacksonville states every time.

The other reason this idea sucks, is the ACC sucks. The only teams I care about are clemson, fsu(less so), notre dame, and duke (history). The rest suck. Who cares about playing pitt and louisville and wake? there's a couple of other teams that are fun to play 8n certain years like vpisu and miami, but I couldn't care less if we never played them again. Sure, playing pitt is better than playing western carolina, but I would rather have a chance to play Tennessee or Auburn or even random schools like BYU and colorado every few years. Limiting Tech to ACC games prevents these intriguing matchups, road trips, opportunities for recruiting, and continuation of college football traditions for essentially a watered down conference schedule with opponents we don't care about.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Hating UGA is the one thing GT fans are most passionate about; and really the only thing that can unite what is a small, but oddly segmented fan base. Taking them off the schedule would be terrible for our program.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
I would not want to stop playing the dwags, but I wouldn't mind breaking tradition by playing them at the start of the season sometimes. It would be more likely to be on national TV, instead of relegated to SEC network, competing with all the other rivalry games for coverage. It would also improve our odds of finishing the season with a victory since bowls tend to pick teams that finish the season strong over teams than seem to be fading late in the year.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I believe that with fourteen team conferences playing ten, eleven or even twelve conference games is actually interesting. I also like doing away with divisions and the top two teams playing in the championship. Now, if we could just get Triangle teams playing Clemson.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like

I agree but we should play uga the first game or every few years.

johncu

Dodd-Like
@CiraldoForever you must love being contrarian. This is at least the second topic that has got you receiving almost entirely poo and bigcry responses.

I do wish we would scrap FCS games. The problem is that the money we give them to take the beatdown goes a long way in supporting some of their programs.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
I come at this from the perspective of a fan who goes to all the games and likes to travel to new places.

I don’t particularly miss playing U[sic]GA, because the whole experience of being around their fans is so miserable. I get the pride aspect of wanting to play them every year, but it’s just hard to care when things are so lopsided.

Home FCS games are mostly lame, because the games aren’t usually much fun to watch. I’d rather see us do home and home or 2-for-1 series with beatable mid-major kinds of teams. Traveling to MTSU and UConn was fun.

I’m not old enough to remember Tech in the SEC, so playing those teams isn’t some golden era I long for. I like playing them OOC occasionally, but I want more games like Kansas or Colorado or BYU, too - an opportunity to play in a new place.

The ACC seems like a good fit for us in terms of academics and level of funding and commitment to football. We’d just be another Vandy in the SEC. We’ve got some decent rivalries in the ACC (though the scheduling hasn’t helped with some of them, like FSU). Clemson was always a good game until recently, and there are usually some stakes around the VPI game. I’m fine with playing Carolina, Duke, and UVA, too.

JRjr