thoughts on the game

nathogt

Varsity Lurker
Reggie Ball is fantastic. He makes smart decisions and is an accurate passer on the underneath and mid-range passes. He missed a deep ball or two but he has the arm and will hit them given a couple more throws. There was the interception that resulted from the miscommunication with the receiver but those happen. Too bad Ball didn't come a year earlier. I think we would have won 10 games with him last year (he wouldn't have thrown all of those interceptions).

This season will be all about Reggie Ball because we have no running game. P.J. runs hard but I don't think he is the answer. I was hoping to see Woods tonight but I don't think he got a carry.

I felt that BYU was more or less able to run at will on us. I was thankful they did not and let us keep the game close. It worries me though.

I thought Gailey called a pretty good game. He started off with conservative play calling but let Ball throw more as the night progressed. I think the loss was just on account of us being the weaker team.

I posted a prediction of 3 to 4 wins and I think I'm about right on that. I am worried that BYU was one of my locks for a win though. I don't believe we will go winless like Beau Bach predicted today. (I won't call his pick idiotic because it is a possibility. I just don't see it as a probability).

I had a scary thought tonight. We lose Smith, Fox and Brown this year. This year it is the DL and next year it will be the LBs.

We really need a DL. You cant let someone control the OL like that. We did the best we could with what we had.

Another receiver needs to step up to complement Smith. The TE needs to be a factor. I thought our O-line played well. We should be able to run the ball. Ball is impressive (national TV, and only 29 days of practice -- superb is any understatement to his debut). We need some help in the secondary. As much as we blitz, these guys will have step up big time.

I agree. Some will blame Gailey and some will blame O'Leary for that. But, with Hargrove, Gathers and Malone, it would not be such a concern.

Originally posted by nathogt:
I agree. Some will blame Gailey and some will blame O'Leary for that. But, with Hargrove, Gathers and Malone, it would not be such a concern.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Who do we blame for that?

'coach' Dave Braine.

Our DL really was starting to agitate me. I knew it took some hits before this season, but wow. Our OL barely got to see any action. Also, the WR's could've held onto the ball a little tighter. And what's up with handing the ball off to Daniels so much? I was on the phone for a little while and missed parts of the game, but from what I saw it looked from the beginning like he would barely ever get any yards off BYU's DL.

I was hoping Bilbo would get some action somehow, too. Man, I guess he really did get screwed after all.
frown.gif
Hopefully he'll get some minutes as WR or something soon.

But overall, I think we came out all right. BYU is a decent team, but we definitely could've gotten the W. I did smile a couple times during the game, like when Reggie broke off on that run. I was hoping he'd do that more often, but oh well.

I would to see D-Bo get into the game to create mismatches against smaller DBs. He has too much talent to be on the sideline. We need a complement to Smith. I hope to see more post patterns like Kerry Watkins ran in subsequent games. Our big TE surely could find holes in the zone -- we should use him more.

It was hard for me to accept the preseason ACC rankings (finishing just above Duke). Without a pass rush, it will be tough. Our secondary has been hapless for a while -- even during the juggernaut teasm captained by Hamilton.

Originally posted by MechaStyle:
Our DL really was starting to agitate me. I knew it took some hits before this season, but wow. Our OL barely got to see any action. Also, the WR's could've held onto the ball a little tighter. And what's up with handing the ball off to Daniels so much? I was on the phone for a little while and missed parts of the game, but from what I saw it looked from the beginning like he would barely ever get any yards off BYU's DL.

I was hoping Bilbo would get some action somehow, too. Man, I guess he really did get screwed after all.
frown.gif
Hopefully he'll get some minutes as WR or something soon.

But overall, I think we came out all right. BYU is a decent team, but we definitely could've gotten the W. I did smile a couple times during the game, like when Reggie broke off on that run. I was hoping he'd do that more often, but oh well.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Took 'some losses on the DL' has to be the understatement of year. We lost 3 out of 4 starters and 5 out of 8 on the 2 deep and we weren't very deep to begin with.

Totally agree about DBo. With Thomas, Curry and McGuire were not impressive and would have like to see DBo have a shot or two. Maybe against Aubie...

Back