three four

As we know, the next DC is an extremely important hire for CPJ. I believe Nate Woody is a 3-4 guy. Our defense under Groh was a major disappointment. I’m not personally a fan of the 3-4, as it has some fundamental weaknesses...particularly against the run. These become glaring deficiencies without a NT commanding a double team.

That said, I’m trying to remain open minded. On paper, our personnel seems to better fit a 3-4 than the 4-3 or 4-2-5 or 4 whatever. We could conceivably get more production from the tweeners we have at DE and the alignment allows us to put more speed on the field. Many pro teams run versions of the 3-4, which should provide some type of recruiting boost. There are also some intricate blitz packages....which were noticeably absent under CTR.

Like anything else, our defensive success likely depends on the DC’s ability to simply communicate his scheme in a manner allowing the kids to play fast, aggressive and instinctive football. Under Groh, I recall our guys struggling with their reads, often appearing confused and out of place.

That said, what do y’all think of moving to the 3-4? or does it matter? What are the positives/negatives....or should we bring back Vad Lee?

Will it make the defense better tacklers, and will it allow the DBs to become better cover guys?

Not a huge fan of a 3-4 defensive scheme. It works best with a nose tackle playing two gap control. With a one gap scheme linebackers have to be stout up the middle or you just get run over. The defense thrives when you have really big and fast OLB’s, guys who can control the edge, blitz and get to the QB, and drop into coverage. Part of its appeal is not knowing who is staying home, who is coming across the line of scrimmage with pressure, and who is dropping into coverage. If I had the Patriots talent I would love a 3-4. With our talent, we’ll have to see.

Not a huge fan of a 3-4 defensive scheme. It works best with a nose tackle playing two gap control. With a one gap scheme linebackers have to be stout up the middle or you just get run over. The defense thrives when you have really big and fast OLB’s, guys who can control the edge, blitz and get to the QB, and drop into coverage. Part of its appeal is not knowing who is staying home, who is coming across the line of scrimmage with pressure, and who is dropping into coverage. If I had the Patriots talent I would love a 3-4. With our talent, we’ll have to see.

Agree totally. With Groh's version we heard you have to have a monster Nose to fill 2 gaps and big and fast OLBs to set the edge or cover or blitz. But as pointed out above if its a 1 gap assignment for DL and one or more of the LBs are on the line anyway its not that different than a regular 4 front or even 5 front with 2 backers up close.

I tend to snicker when I hear about these 1 gap/2 gap techniques. From playing OL and DL in high school (many years ago) we never even heard of the 2 gap and my technique on a given play always depended on how the OL lined up and the formation. I would shoot to the left or right of the center depending on who looked like they were pulling or my guess of the direction of the play. Too little to take anyone headon and plug even 1 gap.

I agree. Right now we don’t have the speed rusher at OLb. He’d better find someone in this class to recruit quickly

In case it hasn't been said already. Nate Woody runs a different 3-4 than the one Al Groh did. And as for the personnel, our current personnel may actually fit better in it than the 4-3.

In case it hasn't been said already. Nate Woody runs a different 3-4 than the one Al Groh did. And as for the personnel, our current personnel may actually fit better in it than the 4-3.
How? I think they fit better in a 4-3 but were undone this year because of play calling. He better recruit some speed on the edge or it’ll be another crappy year on D.

Back