Thursday's practice

GT Adamni

Flats Noob
Thursday\'s practice

I don't have a lot of time, but I'll give a few quick updates from today's practice.

The offense looked MUCH better today than they did yesterday.
bigthumbup.gif
The offense was stuffed on almost every running play (with a few exceptions) yesterday, but had a number of nice plays today. Jimmy Dixon was really running hard, and had 3 or 4 runs that he broke into the secondary. He was running with the first team a lot since Ford hurt what looked like his hip. They put ice on it and he stood on the sidelines for the rest of the scrimmage, but wasn't carted off or anything, so it didn't seem too severe.

Walkon transfer from Auburn Trevor Bowman (who is wearing #82) looks real good. At 6'3" he has good size, and also has good speed. He caught a number of passes in 7 on 7 drills, including a nice deep pass near the left sideline that was just out of reach of the defender.

Let me qualify what I said yesterday about Bilbo looking the best by saying that is mostly based on what I perceive to be the talent level. He is the most athletic, quickest, and has the strongest and most accurate arm. That doesn't necessarily mean that he is ahead of the other QBs. In fact, they are all a bit inconsistent right now. Bilbo had a couple of fumbles, but didn't throw any interceptions. Suggs threw one interception. Hall didn't have any turnovers (I don't think), but he threw a number of passes that missed open receivers.

On the bright side, all of the QBs did well in the 7 on 7 drills. The receivers got the best of the DBs by a pretty wide margin. Hester played well, though.

Nat Dorsey participated in some drills, but wasn't in any of the scrimmages or major contact drills. He was still limping around a bit, but it's encouraging to see him out there.

Daryl Smith had another interception today, and really nailed one of the tight ends right after he caught a pass. Man he is good. He still has a brace on his elbow, but it's not nearly as big as what he had on there during last season. It looks like it's more of a precautionary thing.

Key Fox almost had 2 interceptions, but couldn't hold on to either of them.

The defense really tried to pump themselves up after Dixon had broken off a couple of those runs. The whole team seemed to be playing with a lot of spirit at times. There were several occasions where there was some extracurricular activity after the plays were over. The players really seemed to be pumped up out there.

That's all I got right now. If there is anything in particular you want to know about practice, just ask...it may help jog my memory on some stuff.

Let me know when/if any of you are going to be able to make it out to any of the practices. I met Buzzilla from the Hive at practice, and we watched most of the practice together and discussed what we saw out there.

Re: Thursday\'s practice

Well, we're kinda thin at RB right now, so it seemed like Dixon got the majority of the carries. Especially after Ford went down. It's hard to tell if the other backs were getting carries. They rotated the backs in and out, so it wasn't Dixon carrying it all the time. I do remember quite a few plays where the fullback ran the ball, and we also did several handoffs to receivers cutting across the backfield.

Oh yeah, let me also say that we seem to be emphasizing the option a lot. They did quite a few option drills, and ran the option a good bit during the scrimmage drills. This is good news to me since I really missed the option last year.

Back