Tied for #6 nationally in turnovers gained

Our defensive ypp is bad. Really bad. But when it’s accompanied by this many turnovers it’s worth it. Basically what I’ve been hoping for since ‘08. Aggressive D that trades chunk plays for TFL/turnovers. Happy to have Woody.

c80f84eb4365c6ab767463af11f06afa.png

Our defensive ypp is bad. Really bad. But when it’s accompanied by this many turnovers it’s worth it. Basically what I’ve been hoping for since ‘08. Aggressive D that trades chunk plays for TFL/turnovers. Happy to have Woody.

I’m still holding judgement. I remember the turnover margin in 2014 made Roof look like a genius

I’m still holding judgement. I remember the turnover margin in 2014 made Roof look like a genius
You're probably smart to withhold judgement, but IMO 2014 was different. Remember the Pitt game where they fumbled like 6 times in the first quarter? That's the type of thing that will skew statistics. And then the Clemson game where Watson got hurt and Stoudt came in and started ööööting his pants and throwing pick 6's left and right? This year feels a lot more like we're FORCING turnovers instead of hoping to benefit from them.

We lose our entire starting DL after this season :(

Recruit or die
Glanton, Chimedza, Griffin, Adams....We should be ok, but we do need depth. Need Adams to stay in shape or get in better shape

Glanton, Chimedza, Griffin, Adams....We should be ok, but we do need depth. Need Adams to stay in shape or get in better shape
Don't forget Antwan Owens. Seems like he's the top backup at DE this year. I think Justice Dingle could be big for us next year, too, but we're gonna be relying on a lot of unproven guys.

Def. YPP is probably the worst it's ever been, but we ARE getting multiple stops each game, and some of these turnovers you have to credit our intensity and aggressiveness for.

This is the type of defensive style CPJ can win with. I think if we could find 2-3 really good linebackers the whole thing could really come together. Hopefully Quez and BJS can really come on next year, and we have another year of Curry as well. I'm not as worried about DL play going forward.

It will be interesting to see what the stats show at the end of the year. Subjectively, I have enjoyed watching this defense more than last year's, outside of the USF game. As frustrating as it was to watch Miami drive 95 yards and complete one 3rd and long after another, at least we made the kid make some nice throws instead of just bubble screening us all the way to the endzone. I just hope we can find a way to contain the QB scramble against uva. That is more frustrating to me than the long completions.

Sans two consecutive kickoff returns and three consecutive fumbles and we could be looking at 8-2 (5-2) instead of where we are.

IIWII tho.

You could tell me Ted Roof is still our DC, and I'd believe it. We had years like this with Ted. I want to say I like what I see, but I'm pretty sure I would be saying it because I want it to be true. I still haven't seen us look good against a good team. That said, I knew this year could look a lot like years past. My assumption is that we will see improvement in the last two games and certainly next season.

Miami had 10 drives per the drive chart, but really only 8 as two drives were 0 play special teams fumbles.

TD (7 plays, 75 yards, 5:28 TOP ouch)
Fumble (Special Teams - T. Carpenter & A. Kerr)
Punt (7 plays, 14 yards)
Fumble (Dropped Snap - C. Thomas)
Punt (3 plays, -11 yards)
TD (3 plays, 30 yards after the rugby punt to N. Cottrell's back)
Fumble (Special Teams - Big Play Juanyeah)
Punt (3-and-out)
Punt (6 plays, 29 yards)
TD (15 plays, 95 yards, 4:33 - ouch)

Defensive stats are a benefactor of 3 turnovers in this game. Defense forced punts on 4 of 8 drives. Honestly, Miami only had 2 good drives (and they were monsters). Miami's offense really didn't do much outside of the bookend drives.

You could tell me Ted Roof is still our DC, and I'd believe it. We had years like this with Ted. I want to say I like what I see, but I'm pretty sure I would be saying it because I want it to be true. I still haven't seen us look good against a good team. That said, I knew this year could look a lot like years past. My assumption is that we will see improvement in the last two games and certainly next season.

Nah. Did you notice how well we’ve defended the bubble screen?

It will be interesting to see what the stats show at the end of the year. Subjectively, I have enjoyed watching this defense more than last year's, outside of the USF game. As frustrating as it was to watch Miami drive 95 yards and complete one 3rd and long after another, at least we made the kid make some nice throws instead of just bubble screening us all the way to the endzone. I just hope we can find a way to contain the QB scramble against uva. That is more frustrating to me than the long completions.
The third and long pass on their last drive was just an extraordinary play. Our defender was there. He dove and tried to knock it away and the Miami player had to make a diving catch. We should have been looking at a 4th and 10 there. Also, we allowed the QB to break contain a few times after he got hit and should have been sacked. Going to be for some embarrassing tape when our defenders try to explain not getting the QB on the ground to the coaches in film

Mayhaps someone with stats knowhow could check, but how are we on sacks this year vs previous years?

Also, we allowed the QB to break contain a few times after he got hit and should have been sacked. Going to be for some embarrassing tape when our defenders try to explain not getting the QB on the ground to the coaches in film
Don't forget on their first drive, they had a 3rd and 6 from our 13 and we whiffed on 2 tackles in the backfield. If just one of those guys makes the tackle, that's a FG (attempt) instead of a TD on their 1st drive.

Back