Time To Strip the GT's Off The Helmets Again

Father WASP

Flats Noob
Time To Strip the GT\'s Off The Helmets Again

Bill Curry in the early 80's, probably because he was an alum and knew what pride it was to play for Tech, refused to let the team wear the GT's on the helmet until they earned them back. They beat Georgia to do it.

I strongly recommend that this coaching staff be given a crash course on what Smylie Gebhardt, Rock Perdoni, and gang gave to their school and supporters and what they felt vs. that disgrace that took place in Athens on Saturday.

As I've stated numerous times, losing a football game is one thing, to show up in Athens that unmotivated and unprepared is quite another.

This was a combination of players and coaches, but it starts with the coaches. Army and Navy play with IAA talent but bust their ass every week. Can we please hire a coach next time that can demand 100% effort? Until then, let's kick off vs. Auburn without the logo's so when they beat the hell out of us I want have to remember the old days in the same uniforms.
Let Braine and Gailey design some canary yellow until we decide we are going to beat Georgia and get a little gumption PRIOR to the game, not after a train wreck like we witnessed.

Re: Time To Strip the GT\'s Off The Helmets Again

FAther WASP,

Great post! Kind of like the army losing it's colors after running in Korea-1st Cav turned the head around on the horse.

These were meant to serve as a reminder to all that followed for 20 years.

The loss Saturday is worthy of something similiar.

Well, Chan Gailey had publicly stated that he had started preparing for Ugag all the way back to last February by watching film on them.

Since he obviously did such a great job of preparing for Ugag, maybe he is already studying awBarn film, also. Sheesh.

Did anyone find it very telling that when Chan was asked about growing up in Georgia, and what he remembered about the TECH/ugag rivalry from his younger days, that he could not come up with a single specific memory about any TECH/ugag games in the past.

Chan is absolutely clueless. As Fleetwood Mac and, now, the Dixie Chicks sing "the (Gailey) Landslide is bringing us down".

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Bill Curry in the early 80's, probably because he was an alum and knew what pride it was to play for Tech, refused to let the team wear the GT's on the helmet until they earned them back. They beat Georgia to do it.

I strongly recommend that this coaching staff be given a crash course on what Smylie Gebhardt, Rock Perdoni, and gang gave to their school and supporters and what they felt vs. that disgrace that took place in Athens on Saturday.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Great post FatherWasp. i think this would be a great idea. Anything to instill some pride in the team.

BeeWare, "ho hum"!

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Agreed. I don't like it that it's come to this but that's a good idea at this point. The team is soft. I say make 'em earn every last little thing they get. It's time to raise the bar, Coach Gailey! Raise it high. We're Georgia Tech not East Lake Country Club. I wonder what the staff has planned for the offseason? The team? I'll bet they're basically taking off until Spring practice. That won't get it. I believe they deserve to take the holidays and rest and enjoy the season but after the first of the year these guys need to renew their commitment. I think the meltdown in cowtown proved beyond doubt that our level of competitiveness is not high enough for serious D1 ball.

In all honesty, Georgia was just better, and Tech never really had a chance. Hell, Georgia has lost only one game this season, did everyone think it would be a close game?

In all honesty on my end, yes. This staff inherited a darn fine team. Maybe not championship material, but certainly stocked enough to look respectable. Anyone who thinks Georgia is ok to beat us 51-7, well, Im not sure if we should be scheduling them.

I am all for it! My time at Tech was late Pepper/ early Curry. What I remember most about that time was the apathy that set in after the '78 7-4, and a blowout from Purdue in the Peach Bowl. That team was the only 1 in my five years that could/ would compete. The 29-28 heartbreaker in Athens still hurts today.

Making the team earn its cherished logo back was one of the best moves Curry did to reinstill pride to a program that lost it.

I sincerely hope CG, or whoever, does something to get everyone's attention.

Amazingly good idea.Gee,almost as good as giving Bilbo a chance to get some experience so we would have an offense..Oh well,they passed on that also.

I'd even take Curry back, while he had some lean years and left us, at least if you are gonna lose do it with some passion and heart. Everyone is panning Bill Lewis, but he didn't get spanked with this much talent 51-7.

RepoMan, I am not surprised that we lost. I am surprised by the margin of the lose. I could even live with the score if I felt we played hard and did everything possible before and during the game to give us the best chance to win.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The year was 1984, and the GT was on the helmet for the Georgia game. Good idea.

Gt84ugDewN.GIF

Hey wreckless thanks for the great Dewberry picture. Another QB we are all proud of.

Thanks my man. I love those uniforms!!

Back