To be competetive with other schools

widgetbuzz

Varsity Lurker
ie, Miami,VT,UGag et.al., does anyone else think that Georgia Tech needs to offer more Liberal Arts degrees, thereby making GT more attractive to a broader range of high school athletes. Would this actually lessen the elite status of an Engineering degree from GT. Just a thougt?

I think we need to be smart about broadening the curriculum. BUT IT DOES need to be broadened. I think we need to add a couple of majors. Maybe a communications major, or something like that. If we don't, then we need to lower the current academic standards. Currently WE HAVE THE HIGHEST ACADEMIC STANDARDS OF ANY SCHOOL IN THE ACC. Even over Duke. This is called a competitive disadvantage.

I think both the above comments are excellent.

1. If TECH doesn't currently have a Communications major, it could be added with a more TECH-like emphasis placed on Technology in the communications process.

2. I have an extensive background in Cost Engineering Management and few universities really handle this topic well. Honestly, I am not certain to what degree such an important field is being overlooked at GT. Maybe not, but I know many of the best CM programs in the country and almost all Architecture programs skip any options to emphasize cost engineering and estimating for the most part. I think it would be a mistake to assume this would be watered down major, being quite founded in the principles of math and engineering science.

3. One non-math intensive major that I think would be fascinating would be a Lib Arts Degree in Art History with a core emphasis on Art and Architecture in Technology. I thing that some mathematics such as the geometry of technology art would have to become a part of the discussion. Such degrees are often more philosophical, but there is always a need for such thinkers who see beyond numbers and formulas. Without them life would be dull! While not a math intensive course, Such a study which includes an emphasis of how Technology influenced Art and Architecture would be a wonderful platform to recruit people who want to teach art or curate, but who want something other than the typical Art History "study the Mona Lisa" courses offered at most Lib Arts schools. Why did Wright design the way he did and what made Gaudi think fractally? Those are questions that challenge a mind every bit as much as finding the next best clear polymer.

Well, I am not sure it helps! But I think courses of study could be offered in those areas which would help GT recruit more good talented people who happen to also play football and basketball real well.

It's pretty basic. Do or die, or as far too many GT alumns are willing to do...settle for mediocrity. Not liberal arts but technical/managerial oriented majors (gotta dodge the Regents)...yes. The real key is to preserve the REAL value of a Tech degree, which is that of surviving against very tough odds. There are many majors that would provide this REAL value to athletes and regular students. Surviving this adversity is why recruiters come to campus...not the subject matter for the most part. I know, I've hired several.

BOR is slightly confused about GT's best ever QB, but he is right on about this! Seriously BOR, if you'd like a few cold ones on the house just drop by the lot directly across from the V and look for the Maxima with both AU & GT flags on it. THWG

Goldtimer (who abruptly left here after a very brief visit last year; I suspect he recognized some of the faces) has proposed on the Hive that we offer a program in Sports Management. Seems to me that would make a lot of sense.

Those of you who are welcome at the Hive (I suspect the number of us that are is dwindling) can go there for the details.

We can't be MIT during the week and try to compete with FSU on Saturday. Bottom line is, we need to recruit players. The same players that ugag, Auburn, UF, FSU, go after. Just have to do a better job of watching over 'em once we get them on campus. The alternative is becoming another Vandy or Duke. There is no middle ground.

GATA JACKETS!!!

Driver, you ignore the real issue though. If we don't want to be MIT during the week what are we going to be? We don't have liberal arts majors. We aren't SUPPOSED to have liberal arts majors, that's not the mission of the Institute. So we either have to find kids who want to take what we have, and keep them in school (and accept the fact that a lot of kids just don't want to do that much work) or we have to find ways to expand the curriculum to even the playing field as much as we can. Telling a kid who wants to major in football and girls "don't worry, you have to take calculus and stats and econ, but we've got plenty of tutors to help. No, you have to do your own work and actually go to class but we'll make sure you get there and have access to a computer." just isn't going to cut it with a lot of kids.

Please search the archives of this site for my exact same line of thinking. The title is academic limitations.

It seems to me that the average tech fan has the same desires as most married men. June Cleaver by day, Jenna Jamison by night.

Originally posted by MacDaddy2:
Please search the archives of this site for my exact same line of thinking. The title is academic limitations.

It seems to me that the average tech fan has the same desires as most married men. June Cleaver by day, Jenna Jamison by night.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm not sure who Jenna Jamison is but I've had the hots for Marylyn Monroe ever since she posed in the Tech sweater..... Now that was a real woman.
blue.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif

If you take 71,Driver,& nc's posts above and put em in a blender...Whala! You've just about got it!
Good job guys! THWG

I've heard the "Mission Statement" arguement in response to similar questions as mine. I'm of the opinion that "Mission Statements" can altered. If this isn't an alternitive, then we will continue to see good athletes choose lesser academic standards at other universities. I'm not saying that we can't attract good athletes, it just that the margins are a lot more narrow.

Originally posted by widgetbuzz:
I've heard the "Mission Statement" arguement in response to similar questions as mine. I'm of the opinion that "Mission Statements" can altered. If this isn't an alternitive, then we will continue to see good athletes choose lesser academic standards at other universities. I'm not saying that we can't attract good athletes, it just that the margins are a lot more narrow.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">widgetbuzz,

You do understand the role of the board of registrars and the makeup of that body?

Most definetly...I'm just saying that it seems that most people are asking for more then whats feasibly possible. In many discussions, this point isn't factored in....

Back