$$$ to the players

Cost-of-attendance totals are determined by each school according to federally created guidelines and can have significant variance. Tech’s is about $1,600, Bobinski said at a meeting of the athletic association board Thursday. Other schools range from $1,200 to as much as $5,500. Kennesaw State’s is $2,875 for in-state students. Emory’s is $2,364. Georgia’s is $2,598. Tennessee’s, Bobinski said, is $5,500. The totals are calculated by schools for the purpose of determining financial aid, and not by athletic departments. (Athletes on partial scholarships will receive a stipend proportional to their scholarship amount.)

These numbers are such bullshit

These numbers are such bullshit

This is going to affect recruiting big time. The way I'm reading it, UT can now legally offer a kid ~20k to go there for 4 years while we're sitting at ~6k? Slowly but surely killing college football as we know it.

This is going to affect recruiting big time. The way I'm reading it, UT can now legally offer a kid ~20k to go there for 4 years while we're sitting at ~6k? Slowly but surely killing college football as we know it.
Im glad i am an old man, this is the beginning of the end for dear old GT.

Man. Knoxville must be pretty remote.

I agree this probably will not end well for the student athletes....but with the amount of $$$ and the greed of colleges this was inevitable.

How can we not push for regional equivalents or something? This is such a joke.

Let's add that our kids have to take Calculus Twice!

Would it really hurt recruiting any more than its current state? The factory schools already get all of the highly-publicized recruits anyway. Tech did just fine this year with a bunch of kids who were mostly overlooked by the factory schools. If one of our recruiting targets gets an offer from a big-time SEC school and wants to go there for a few grand more in the pocket and then ride the bench because they have 4 more just as good as him, instead of coming to Tech and being valued as a scholarship spot who isn't just lost in a huge roster, then let 'em go.

I don't see how this is the end of Tech football...

"Knoxville has twice the cost of living as downtown Atlanta" said nobody ever. Where do those "federal guidelines" come from?

"Knoxville has twice the cost of living as downtown Atlanta" said nobody ever. Where do those "federal guidelines" come from?

They're generated by each school's financial aid office based on a somewhat nebulous (link) set of criteria.

...the COA is the average cost to attend for one academic year (fall through spring). It includes tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, transportation, and personal expenses. Colleges adjust the COA yearly to reflect changes to these costs.

Full athletic scholarships (I think) already include tuition, fees, books, and room & board, so the stipend is basically there for transportation and "personal expenses".

Tech's Finaid office (link) calculates "personal expenses" at $1600, hence the number in the article.

The large variation in stipends is really disturbing. I thought this would be fixed amount for all schools. These stipends are going to be abused if not limited by the NCAA somehow.

I don't have a problem with a limited stipend in principle. It is paying football players just as a student employee--a teaching assistant or something--might get paid.

Only the NCAA could create a salary cap where some teams are allowed to pay triple what other teams are.

Also, this seemingly moves them into even more blatant violation of antitrust law now that they're literally setting a maximum dollar amount that schools are allowed to give players in return for playing football. It's like they are trying to write a basic example to illustrate the concept of price fixing.

I have no clue about anything of this. Is this all a done deal? The price differences between schools, etc....and the ppl saying this is the end of GT football is that right? Or is that trolling?

I have no clue about anything of this. Is this all a done deal? The price differences between schools, etc....and the ppl saying this is the end of GT football is that right? Or is that trolling?

It's trolling right now, but hard to say how much of an impact this will have down the road. And I think it's pretty obvious that this is a win for schools with bigger athletic budgets and looser morals.

I am not sure how this will effect recruiting at Tech. Recruiting to Tech is hard enough already that Tech could pay 10k a year and it probably wouldn't help. But does Tech want kids that are there for a paycheck anyway?

But as if recruiting at Tech isn't hard enough already; this is like being kicked while you are already down.

can't wait to see schools like Auburn and Ole Miss. Their stipend will be 10k I am sure :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back