Todd Hailey

bonham

Dodd-Like
Not saying we shouldn't run the ball, but when we get pushed for multiple weeks in the middle that is something we should try to stray away from. For the moment not saying we should just give it up.
The pickett argument off of stats is just dumb he should show me, Bailey Zappe is 26 TDs to 4 Ints do you even know who he is? Not wanting to drag this argument out, but I just want us to be good. If it's with pnut or someone else I don't care just win.
You had me until you criticized Pickett. He is damn good.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I think the problem actually is the run game coordinator title. I’m not sure what that means in terms of play calling but it makes me think 2 philosophies are trying to be implemented at once.
No. It is a common division of labor. It scouts tendencies of other teams and how to exploit them.

Run game dudes focus on things like opponent gap assignments. Pass game dudes focus on opponent coverage packages and rush packages. They really do not have that much in common and do not need to be done by the same person.

Techfan02

Hope is pain
Really?

You are comparing a guy putting up Stats at a directional school and their crap scheduling vs a Guy putting up Stats for a Team that is 5-1 in a P5 Conference, that has already won on the Road at Tennessee in front of maybe 85K

Directional Kentucky where Zappe's Potato Chips plays QB is a G5 school, why didn't you find a P5 QB for comparison to Pickett?
P5 schedule what defense has he played that is half way decent If he hangs 35 on clemson I'll shut up you can put up good stats vs bad talent and if you want me to say someone like bryce young with 23 TDs and 4 Ints then it'll be a well he was a 5 star and it's bama bla bla but pickett is a 6th year senior where have these numbers been before??

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Could all you "blame the OC, blame the QB, blame the play-calling", genre of idiots please tell us what Miracle Playcalls will work behind an OLine that poor and that unathletic?

Does not running zone read up the middle into the teeth of this “poor OL” twice every three downs count as “miracle play calling?” If so, I vote that.

The CDP detractors on here aren’t trying to dissect plays and blocking assignments. It’s more of a philosophical issue. Play to the strengths of your team and scheme over the weaknesses. Our strength right now is at the skill positions. We should be attacking the edges a lot more than we are. That will have the secondary effect of loosening up the middle.

I agree that if your OL struggles your offense is going to struggle. But there’s various degrees of struggling. Right now we aren’t scheming to maximize our advantages.

Vespinae

Unbelievable, effort-based commenter
Not being an ass but Like what happened cause the other years he just wasn't doing this like I really can't figure out why
I had his stats pulled up earlier and he averaged about 60% completions his other 2 years starting there. I'd guess being a 5th year senior and having a bunch of 5th year players around him has helped.

Techfan02

Hope is pain
I had his stats pulled up earlier and he averaged about 60% completions his other 2 years starting there. I'd guess being a 5th year senior and having a bunch of 5th year players around him has helped.
It's what i'm saying that you gotta have things around you go right I really hooe he isn't took in the 1st round

CornerBlitz

To be the man you have to beat the man
Does not running zone read up the middle into the teeth of this “poor OL” twice every three downs count as “miracle play calling?” If so, I vote that.

The CDP detractors on here aren’t trying to dissect plays and blocking assignments. It’s more of a philosophical issue. Play to the strengths of your team and scheme over the weaknesses. Our strength right now is at the skill positions. We should be attacking the edges a lot more than we are. That will have the secondary effect of loosening up the middle.

I agree that if your OL struggles your offense is going to struggle. But there’s various degrees of struggling. Right now we aren’t scheming to maximize our advantages.
Fair points…though CDP is growing on me…maybe because we are so inept on defense.

Sims has shown game to game improvement and the offense is generally moving the ball. His first couple of offensive series are well scripted but he’s slow to make adjustments. He runs so much inside zone to set up the RPO…you can see what he wants to do but just doesn’t have the horses up front to do it. I saw more pulling and down blocking vs. Duke, which is one way to mitigate a poor OL. Still wish he ran more 2 RB sets…we have some really good backs and we could run some creative zone reads with them.