Top 3 GT Football Games Ever Attended?

MsTechAnalysis

Jolly Good Fellow
and why? Mine ...

1. ALL THE UGAG VICTORIES!

2. 1975 Notre Dame Game here - we were 30 pt. underdogs, we never through a pass and beat them by 9 or 11. Remember so many priests and nuns sitting next to us in the North Stands and they were very angry.

3. 1989 Clemson game there with Shawn Jones at QB. They were favorites and we were their Homecoming Game - we won and it was the start of our road to great success with Bobby Ross. It's even better when you're the underdog.

There's just 3 of mine, many more too - would like to hear some others.

Good Topic Ms Tech...

I agree with your number one.. and probably my most enjoyable Tech wins over Ga would have to be either 1974 or 2000.. either of those.. I was a kid sitting in the rain in 1974, but didnt mind the wet stuff at all.. I still remember seeing the red rain coats leaving the stadium during the game...

#2 - Tech vs Va in 1983.. insignificant game really, but a good game.. we beat them 31-27, it was a Thursday night game on TBS... not many in the stands that night, but the student section was loud... and the few who were there were really into the game..

#3- Tech and Va in 1990... I made the trip .. and wasnt smiling much at half time.. but we all know how it ended.. The Snobs were shocked, angry, almost red-necks ! Also, South Carolina that year... they just could not believe that they were getting whipped by us...

1. Tech/UGA from 1999-What a wild game!
2. Tech/Wake from 1998-Can't forget the first time.
3. Tech/FSU from 2000-I thought we had them.

I became a Jacket fan in the fall of 1998 after I decided that Tech was the school for me. It was the right decision then, and it's still the right decision now that I'm graduating. I can't wait for many more afternoon spent at Bobby Dodd Stadium.

#1 GT 7 Ala 6: Most intense game I have witnessed in person. The tooth was out of the hound at the conclusion of that one.

#2 All the victories over UGAg. Especially those at the Sanford and Son venue.

# 1998 UVA comeback

blue.gif
drinking.gif

My favorite... outside all victories over ugag...has to bee THE CATCH at CU to WIN the game....I was there and it was AWESOME!!!
blue.gif

Great topic(question)!!!
1.Tech - UVA 1990. One of only a few hundred Tech fans who made the trip to Virginia. Ordered tickets way before either team started making noise, so matchup at gametime was an added bonus. Beautiful day at a beautiful campus. Many drinks consumed before and after the game.
2.Tech - NC State 1998. Guys trip with a RV. 3 day drunk on one of the most beautiful Fall weekends ever!
3.Tech - Nebraska Citrus Bowl 1991. Fun week in Florida. Great weather. Great Tech crowd that surprized everyone in its numbers at the stadium.
BOO

Consecutively -
1. 17-7 over UGAg in Athens, 1970. TECH beat 'em all day long and went on to a nice Sun Bowl victory against Texas Tech and a 9-3 record.
Good team.

2. 28-21 over Clemson at Grant Field, 1984. Clemson had spanked us the year before and were ranked and we were the underdog. Big game and a good fight where we prevailed on Robert Lavettes's 4th qtr heroics with Chuck Eason (FB) taking the plunge into the North end zone for the victory. The one where "The Refrigerator Mover" got his name. Great game.

3. 20-16. UGAg. 1985. In the fog. Gary Lee.

Hey this is fun!! Lot's of great memories.

Boy, hope I don't get the dates wrong:

#1 Beating UGA at Sanford-1971
#2 Beating Clemson at Death Valley-2000
#3 Beating UGA at Grant Field-2001 how many overtimes????

OK MsTechAnalysis,

Give us your best Tech vs. UGA games.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Citrus Bowl. That clinched the MNC for us. Here's my top 3 attended...

1) UGA '89 - that game was fun and it turned into a romp in the 2nd half. Jerry Mays really tore up UGA. After Hampton went down, they had no chance.

2) Nebraska '01 Citrus Bowl - MNC. Nuff said.

3) Clemson '00 - The best part was that I was actually sitting in the Clemson section and there wasn't a Tech fan anywhere near me. Outside of my carrying on (which was substantial), I could have heard a pin drop in that stadium...'cept for the Tech fans across the way.

#1 1998 GT-UGA first time I attended a game at Sanford. #2 1999 GT-Clemson most maddening game I ever saw. #3 1981 GT-UNC though we lost that day(and we had artificial turf!) it was my first Tech game in person. Drove down from Dalton with my best friend in my '63 Ford with a 390 and 2x4's.

Oh how do I wish! My first car. My brother bought it from me when I entered the Navy and he traded later on.

only three??? how about 25???
1 99 vs pup pups- most exciting game ever
2 91 citrus bowl- for the trophy
3 85 vs puppies- they ran all over us...we won
4 84 vs pups- we were hauling so much hedge
5 98 vs uva- the comeback
6 90 vs pups the red/black crowd around me were
stunned, they kept saying,"we can't
stop them"...they were right
7 99 vs clemp
8 84 vs clemp
9 86 vs tenn revez slipped and missed a chipshot
10 85 all-american bowl, because we stayed at the
same hotel as the mich st. band...

03 vs pups
03 vs awbern
03 vs fsu
03 vs turtles all have shots at my top ten

1. 1998....Tech over Virginia ....by far the most exciting game I have ever seen in person. If you were at the game, you know what I mean. If you were not there, no words can do it justice. You had to be there.

2. 1984....Tech over ugag in athens. First trip to athens.....kicked their sorry arses all over the field....the ugag crowd was nearly gone in the 3rd quarter.

3. 1989....Tech over climpsum by the pond. Ross gets his revenge. Also, I took some Alabama fans with me to the game and told them at the game that TECH would win the national title in 1990. They laughed then but they still remind me 'til this day that it was the best prediction they ever heard that actually came true.

My three are:

Wake Forest '85: My first game. I remember walking out to our seats, and having a hard time getting to them. I was so overtaken by Grant Field. I could hardly walk down the steps.

UNC '99: It was TECH's first OT game and my first Homecoming Game. If I remember correctly, TECH lead most of the game. Until the end. Tech had to kick a FG to tie. Tech win the game. The crowd was wild.

The next three are Vandy '02, UVA '02, and Duke '02. They are the first three games I take my daughter to see. All the questions I had to answer. The one I get asked the most, "Where's BUZZ?"

1.) Tech-UVA 1998. Greatest comeback in Tech history

2.) Tech-Nebraska. 1991 Citrus Bowl Tremendous fun and my wife caught an extra point from Scott Sisson.

3.) Tech-UGA 1999 Incredible Finish.

Honorable Mention: Tech-UGA 1989 - It was really fun watching our offensive line blow them off the ball and Jerry Mays run wild.

Wow, what a great thread ... reviewing everyone's games brings back so many memories! We are the best fans!

71Bee:
You asked about my favorite UGAG game - 1974 there in the rain. We were underdogs and it was my first year as a season tix holder! I already knew by that time I was a Tech diehard but beating them there with their "cocky" fans sealed me allegence forever!!

The one of the most heartbreaking against them there, was the 1978 game. We had them until Eddie Lee went down. Pepper pulled out his bag of tricks in that game with an "on side kick" early in the game that we got it back and resulted in a score. 98 yard kick off return by Drew Hill.

So many to numerous to get them all down. Love to hear more!
blue.gif

Top 3 is difficult, as there have been so many..

#1. Has to be 1990 vs UVA. Unbelievable game for so many reasons.

#2. 1969 vs UGA (surprised some of the OFs on here didn't mention..An awesome game !)6-0. Tech stopped UGA so many times, from getting in the endzone it was amazing.

#3. 1985 vs UGA...Tech was down and out, and had just lost the lead and momentum, WHEN - Gary Lee returned the KO ~90 yds. Tech regained the mo - and went on to win....

My three are:

1. Beating Notre Dame in 1976. The Irish were ranked #4, and it was Tech's Homecoming. As Ms. Tech said, the Jacket's didn't throw a pass all day and ran the wishbone to perfection. I couldn't talk for 3 days after that game.

2. Beating UGA in 1969. That game started things for the 1970 Sun Bowl team. Also, it was my first UGA game as a Tech student. UGA had already accepted a bowl bid in October and went on to lose their last 4 games. The defense led by Bubba Hoats and Jeff Ford was amazing.

3. Beating N.C. State in 1998. The Jackets made it a North Carolina hat trick by beating UNC and Duke the previous 2 weeks. There was a lot of smack by Wolfies prior to the game, but it sure was sweet at the end of that game (made living in the state more pleasant, too).

Back