Top 5 Things that we need to fix (list your own)

Techfan02

Hope is pain
We have just an amazing amount of threads for each topic about our team. I am curious to what some people thing the 5 biggest problems we need to concern about our team as of the moment.
1. OL has got to play better you have enough seniors and veterans that we shouldn't be getting killed like that. Even in the unc game the first couple drives were ultimately shut down by bad OL play.
2. Defense went to the well with the 3-3-5 It's fine to run that once in a while, but need to be able to put 4 down linemen some.
3. Pnut has got some good plays, but there are some that we should do if it is obvious. like when we were at the one we shouldn't be lining up in pistol either get 5 wide or under center. The dive right up the middle is to obvious and doesn't work as much use what works and mix it up if you need to but don't be so damn obvious.
4. We need to be more critical of the officiating. For those who was at the game Marco has an absolute right to get pissed for such obvious holding, but what annoyed me was Collins trying to get him away from the ref and didn't say anything about the holding himself.
5. Can we EMPHAZIZE THAT WE SHOULD NOT BE GIVING UP 3rd and 18 or long distances like I don't get it.
6. TO HELL WITH GEORGIA

TechRush

Dodd-Like
1. Develop an O-line
2. Develop a D-line
3. Develop a QB
4. Stop with the money down stuff when you are getting your ass kicked.
5. Find coaches that can do 1-4.

Honorable mention.. I would have mentioned special teams but they have improved. I don't have heart palpitations on extra point kicks any more.

1) Develop an O-line or get rid of the O-line coach
2) Quit exploiting the obvious weaknesses of our O-line.....like running it up the gut
3) Have a clue what you are going to do in the red-zone and quit wasting all those opportunities
4) Run out of something besides the shotgun
5) Care about what the fans are saying instead of shrugging it off with a smirk like Collins did when Ken of the AJC asked about it

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
1) Correct the offensive line issues. The focus needs to be on players that will be here next season.
2) Develop a consistent pass rush utilizing deception by blitzing linebackers and/or defensive backs on a regular basis.
3) identify which defensive backs can provide tight coverage beginning at the line of scrimmage. Again focus on players who will here next season.
4) Utilize at least two running backs on every play. Put them in motion out of the backfield or from a slot. Use Mason and Griffin from a fullback position on short yardage.
5) Correct the protection for punts and kicks.

CarsonNewmanJacket

Your average fart joke teller
1) an actual marketable approach to the team, not the money down crap. Even as a college football player, this seems pretty corny.
2) an absolutely revamped O Line, and O Line coaching staff
3) an actual front 7, not a makeshift 3-3-5, where we keep one of the linebackers outside the box, making it a 5 man box
4) I know I may get some slack for this, but I’m ready for Chayden Peery to get his shot at QB. I feel like he’s the most comfortable QB in the pocket, and he won’t make stupid mistakes, at least what I’ve seen from him. I may be wrong, but it’s a change that other teams won’t be ready for.
5) A 2 back set that utilizes all 4 of our running backs. We have 4 stud running backs that we just do not use as much as we need. We can run triple option out of the spread, using Mason and Griffin as our “b backs” and Gibbs and Smith as our “a backs”. RPOs and PAPs will balance out the O.
HM) A new coaching staff, new AD, new program, just drain the Swamp of the Tech front office

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
1) an actual marketable approach to the team, not the money down crap. Even as a college football player, this seems pretty corny.
3) an actual front 7, not a makeshift 3-3-5, where we keep one of the linebackers outside the box, making it a 5 man box
4) I know I may get some slack for this, but I’m ready for Chayden Peery to get his shot at QB. I feel like he’s the most comfortable QB in the pocket, and he won’t make stupid mistakes, at least what I’ve seen from him. I may be wrong, but it’s a change that other teams won’t be ready for.
5) A 2 back set that utilizes all 4 of our running backs. We have 4 stud running backs that we just do not use as much as we need. We can run triple option out of the spread, using Mason and Griffin as our “b backs” and Gibbs and Smith as our “a backs”. RPOs and PAPs will balance out the O.
HM) A new coaching staff, new AD, new program, just drain the Swamp of the Tech front office

I like all your ideas, but especially number 5. Sadly though, our current coaching staff will never use any triple option plays, and seldom any option plays of any kind, because they don't want any memories of Johnson's offense, even if it worked. Reminds me of certain people in government who don't want people to remember policies that worked.

wishbone

Dodd-Like
1,2,3,-I really like this team.
4. I love the coaching staff until game day. We are getting punked on the no huddle D response. Too much time looking at sideline.
5. Work our game plans around our talent, the opposition, flexibility and match ups. We have rich RB talent sitting on the bench cuz we must have one back and tight ends? Let Mason line up there now and then...he blocks, runs and can catch better. When we get Gronk, we adjust around the talent not the scheme.

The Jacket

The Coat
1) The first thing, or any thing, being to change our marketing approach for croots seems pretty silly. I am not a big money down fan either, but the pitch from Collins seems to have been working well enough to get talent on campus. What's being done with it once they get here is another matter altogether, but there is nothing wrong with CGC's branding and promotion. Plus, I fully expect that the dislike of money down for a lot of fans will fade if we start stopping people on third down and winning games.
4) No way. Once we've made that change, and the first opponent thereafter is potentially caught off guard by it, that card has then been played. Every team will be prepared for it after that. Regardless, the quarterback is not the issue here, Dude. Any other signal-caller we put in there is going to contend with the same miserable protection, the same poor playcalling, and probably with less talent and potential at his disposal.

2 and 3 are fine.

Last edited:

CarsonNewmanJacket

Your average fart joke teller
4) No way. Once we've made that change, and the first opponent thereafter is potentially caught off guard by it, that card has then been played. Every team will be prepared for it after that. Regardless, the quarterback is not the issue here, Dude. Any other signal-caller we put in there is going to contend with the same miserable protection, the same poor playcalling, and probably with less talent and potential at his disposal.
No doubt, but I feel like we’re going to waste Chayden here. Best he will get in is his redshirt senior year, so he’ll more than likely transfer (and probably won’t find a great team since he can’t even start at Tech), or sit until then. I feel like Chayden has the highest upside on the team, while also having one of the smallest downsides. He’s got a cannon of an arm, and granted he can’t run like sims or Yates, but he can put the ball exactly where it needs to be.

PressManCoverage

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Where did you see enough of Peery to know that he won't make "stupid mistakes" from what you've seen?

Didn't Peery lose part of his HS FB season due to CV19 stuff, so where have you seen enough of this QB play to know that he won't make stupid mistakes vs P5 Defenses?

To make that statement about replacing Sims with Peery after the last 2 Games means there nothing that Sims could ever do in your mind to deserve to start at QB for GT.

There is no way that you could've seen enough of Peery to feel better about him at QB vs Sims, you must really hate Sims to wrote what you wrote above.

I gotta ask, are you related to Peery?

#5 makes no sense at all because we don't have any QBs to run any type of Triple Option, I don't consider RPO to be the same as "the triple option" for bullet point #5

So you want Peery from HS FB in California to run this Triple Option that you spoke of in #5 above despite the fact that no QB on any Level of FB from Cali has run the Triple Option since Leroy Jethro Gibbs was playing QB for Pepper Rodgers in the Early to Mid 70s?

Dude, in the future, use that preview button to see how your comments are going to look when others read them, maybe check and see if the logic lines up.