Transfer Portal Central

User 10337

Catchall thread to discuss all things portal- speculate on who we could get/might target.

Last edited:

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like

He is transferring. Man, I don't wanna get my hopes up, but he would add wins next year, IMO. As far as I know, we have not had a 60% completion guy since Godsey.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Since we are in the midst of a multi-year transition, do we really want a 1-year guy in such a key position as QB? Seems to me that a top caliber QB would be wasted for a year, since we are still getting our offensive line in order.

I'd rather go with a young QB and let him learn the offense and be ready in 2021.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Not only would he be an important bridge for a year, he would help us with the South Carolina HS coaches. He's the son of Bobby Bentley.

Only question to me is his lisfranc.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Since we are in the midst of a multi-year transition, do we really want a 1-year guy in such a key position as QB? Seems to me that a top caliber QB would be wasted for a year, since we are still getting our offensive line in order.

I'd rather go with a young QB and let him learn the offense and be ready in 2021.
An accurate passer would help the development of our young receiving corp, and show our young quarterbacks how it is done.

And getting the ball consistently out on time would help the confidence of our young offensive line.

There's young enough and there's too young. We are too young.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
An accurate passer would help the development of our young receiving corp, and show our young quarterbacks how it is done.

And getting the ball consistently out on time would help the confidence of our young offensive line.

That definitely makes sense. So on the flip side, why would a 1-year QB want to come to GT? Do we have anything to offer in terms of helping his draft stock? There's certainly the benefit of the degree, but I'm guessing he has his eyes set on the NFL.

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat

I don't think our current QB's are bad passers because no one has shown them "how it's done."

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
That definitely makes sense. So on the flip side, why would a 1-year QB want to come to GT? Do we have anything to offer in terms of helping his draft stock? There's certainly the benefit of the degree, but I'm guessing he has his eyes set on the NFL.
We were definitely a tough sell to grad transfer QBs last year. Maybe Key thinks he can get this OL in shape quicker than he thought. We've got pretty good receivers.

GoGATech

Big Dummy

Think of the errant throws to open receivers this year that would've made a difference behind a worse OL than we'll have next year. An accurate QB with experience would significantly increase our production for next year and help bridge to younger guys. Although we may lose somebody like Yates if that happens. Gleason I expect may redshirt unless he comes in as a straight baller.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I don't pretend to guess why anyone goes anywhere. Perhaps he would be intrigued by the open path to instant starter status. Perhaps he instantly synchs with Collins, who is a bit diff than BoomMF in his approach. Perhaps he wants the GT graduate degree. Perhaps there is a girl....

If he is interested I strongly suspect we are interested. Beyond that, whatever the kid decides to do....

Jerry the Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Basically we do not have a QB. Graham and Yates are not going to be D1 quality. The kid we have recruited is a project and has had a dumpster fire senior year in HS. Our best opportunity is to find a transfer of any quality and bring them in while we work toward finding a long term solution via recruiting. Maybe even the Juco route.

Go Jackets!

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
I would assume the #1 priority for a transfer would be to start. I would assume the #2 priority would be to succeed, because if you aren't starting you automatically fail.

Nobody has been a harder critic of our Oline than me, but those dudes have clearly improved. Add in getting the guys back from injury and the quality recruits and I would not be so afraid of our line situation in 2020 (assuming I was confident in my release and my reads being quick) that I wouldnt consider GT. Our skill players are underrated so if a guy comes here and wins at all hes gonna get a lot of attention.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ

This. An experienced QB will help teach Gleason and others.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I don't think our current QB's are bad passers because no one has shown them "how it's done."
So you think freshmen and a sophmore passer come out of the womb knowing how to pass?

Coaches can only teach so much. Helps immensely to have someone to teach by example and be available to "pick their brain."

Should be obvious to any football fan. Obvious.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
So you think freshmen and a sophmore passer come out of the womb knowing how to pass?

Coaches can only teach so much. Helps immensely to have someone to teach by example and be available to "pick their brain."

Should be obvious to any football fan. Obvious.
His argument is that our current QB's are hopeless and just don't have the talent. I can't go that far, myself, but that's what he's getting at.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
The coaches should be doing a detailed evaluation on the current roster now that we have one full season in the books. They need to decide whether they feel confident in the potential and development of our current guys, or if they would truly be cool with throwing a TFr Freshman QB in Gleason out there next season.

If they are not confident in what we have, then I have no issue in taking on a 1 year QB who can be the bridge to 2021 while Gleason continues to develop, along with the players around him continuing to develop.

Based on the temperament of select fans on here....the Tech Fan suicide rate may spike in 2020 if we don't make a low-tier bowl game next season.